Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
I Met a Member of the Next Generation of Car Collectors Today

I was filling up with gas today when an early 20s kid pulled up in some Hyundai 4 door coupe thing. He got out and came right over and said "Wow, what a beautiful car. The 5th gen is my dream car. What year is it?"

And thus started a nice, somewhat lengthy discussion about Camaros. I guess I was just surprised at the demographic. Around here you don't see too many young, Asian kids in Camaros. I'm not trying to stereotype, it's just the way it is.

He asked to see the interior and had a ton of questions about performance, handling, etc. It was pretty cool. His biggest concern was whether or not he'd be able to afford a 5th gen in a few years if they go the way 1st and early 2nd gen Camaros have gone in terms of value.

It was pretty cool. Honestly, I don't get too many looks or comments about the car just because there are so many around here. It was a fun way to spend 15 minutes before heading back to work.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
IlikeMyCamaro

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Definitely agree with the demographic thing, not very many Asians in Camaros in my area and I definitely get the odd look here and there when someone pulls up beside me or learns what car I drive.

Glad you two had a good discussion!
IlikeMyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #3
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
These days if any younger motorheads want to talk I will allow as much time as possible.

we’re a dying breed, good to know there’ll be a few hooligans still running around out there in 20, 30 years!
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:39 PM   #4
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeMyCamaro View Post
Definitely agree with the demographic thing, not very many Asians in Camaros in my area and I definitely get the odd look here and there when someone pulls up beside me or learns what car I drive.

Glad you two had a good discussion!
I love talking cars with like minded people! Just wish I had more time. I think he would have been happy to keep on too.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:41 PM   #5
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax View Post
These days if any younger motorheads want to talk I will allow as much time as possible.

we’re a dying breed, good to know there’ll be a few hooligans still running around out there in 20, 30 years!
I really think (or maybe it's mostly hope) that this new breed of muscle that has been produced by the so-called "Big 3" over the past 10-12 years is going to reenergize the younger crowd again.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #6
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I’m raising my little ones right. They beg to ride in the Camaro and my old trucks all the time. My son is 3 and already says he wants to be a nascar driver when he grows up... sniff... sniff... he sure does make his old man proud
It is true though, it seems the car guy life style is fading. Maybe in a few years all the people who wanted the current generation of muscle cars but couldn’t afford them now will be the ones keeping them going in 20-30 years. I sure hope so. Mine isn’t going anywhere I know that much.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:54 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax View Post
Same here. My car tends to mainly attract members of AARP and rednecks...

Oh yea, I live in Florida. Makes sense now.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:15 PM   #8
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Sometime last year my local Camaro club was out to eat and there was a local group of Mustangs there too, the part I was happiest to see was that the Mustang owners were in their early 20's. Was nice to see people of that age group in Mustangs and not Honda's or similar. Would have been better if they were in Camaro's, but Mustang is better than Riced out Civics.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:20 AM   #9
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Wow, I was going to bring up this very topic but a little differently. I was going to ask(I've had my gen5 for a year and a half), if you get many comments about your Camaro. I live in NJ so I'm sure there are many in this state alone but I've had many occasions of positive comments or someone asking me about my car. The demographic is different too. One day, I was coming out of the store and a twenty something couple were taking pictures with my car. I walked up to them and they smiled and asked about the car and took a few more pics. It's just nice to see that this C5 Camaro brings a smile to other people's faces(while I'm doing backflips inside). Great car and great forum.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:13 AM   #10
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekono View Post
Wow, I was going to bring up this very topic but a little differently. I was going to ask(I've had my gen5 for a year and a half), if you get many comments about your Camaro. I live in NJ so I'm sure there are many in this state alone but I've had many occasions of positive comments or someone asking me about my car. The demographic is different too. One day, I was coming out of the store and a twenty something couple were taking pictures with my car. I walked up to them and they smiled and asked about the car and took a few more pics. It's just nice to see that this C5 Camaro brings a smile to other people's faces(while I'm doing backflips inside). Great car and great forum.
I've had my car 8 years and still get compliments on it. People like the colour...Inferno Orange with white stripes grabs your eye quickly.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #11
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
That's really interesting to hear OP. I have a 18 year old son in college and like most parents, you hope to raise them right. The one thing I did do is get him into cars and the appreciation of them. My son will spot cars before I even see them, especially the 60s and 70s. I will most likely just give him my Camaro when it's time but that's a bit further out then he would like.
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:42 AM   #12
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I’m raising my little ones right. They beg to ride in the Camaro and my old trucks all the time. My son is 3 and already says he wants to be a nascar driver when he grows up... sniff... sniff... he sure does make his old man proud
It is true though, it seems the car guy life style is fading. Maybe in a few years all the people who wanted the current generation of muscle cars but couldn’t afford them now will be the ones keeping them going in 20-30 years. I sure hope so. Mine isn’t going anywhere I know that much.
Grin....my granddaughter loves my Camaro and knows more about it than most old guys I know but her heart is set on getting an older, lifted Chevy 4X4. V8 of course...
Old 09-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #13
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Same here. My car tends to mainly attract members of AARP and rednecks...

Oh yea, I live in Florida. Makes sense now.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #14
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekono View Post
In one year, I can count the number of people who have verbally or physically given my car a thumbs up on 3 or 4 fingers. But that's all right - I love the car, love driving it. I don't think it's because people don't appreciate them, I think it's just because they are everywhere here so they are not particularly special.