Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-16-2020, 04:28 PM   #43
OutlawV2

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
s much oil as these cars hold, if you maintain the level, you can probably run with 8 quarts even for extreme driving / track days with no issues. I don't recommend this, of course, but two quarts down on these cars is not like 2 quarts down when the capacity is 5 qts or less.
The capacity is the capacity for a reason bro. Oil isn't just for the motor in this car... It lubricates multiple systems. and when you said "you can probably run" you lost me..... Of course i'm aware that 2 quarts down wont' cause me problems....

what my bigger issue is why a motor with 15-20K miles burns oil like the rings have 120k on them?????

2012 CTS-V Diamond White A6 Coupe "Becky"
1995 Z28 1LE 383" LT1 A3 N2O Drag Car 9.06@153
OutlawV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #44
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yeah Outlaw, that was my suggestion to you earlier in your posting to let Chevy start doing the oil changes and document the oil usage so maybe a warranty claim could be submitted for a new engine!��
Old 09-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #45
OutlawV2

Quote:
Yeah Outlaw, that was my suggestion to you earlier in your posting to let Chevy start doing the oil changes and document the oil usage so maybe a warranty claim could be submitted for a new engine!��
Yeah and i'm ONE HUNDRED percent with you.... I don't know where "check your oil more frequently" comments even come from when nobody is even addressing how about a brand new engine just NOT burn a shit ton of oil......

cuz IDGAF what anyone says a motor with less than 20k miles built at these tolerances and ring gaps should NOT burn this much oil. 2 quarts in 5000 miles of driving is FAAAR more than i'm sure Chevy guidelines call for for an LT4.....

Now convincing THEM to replace your motor is a completely different animal and I'm aware..... it would need to probably burn 9 quarts an hour for them to do that.... they'd still be trying to kick rocks at the service department as usual.....

thanks for your input man. I think that's the best bet.... if i raced this thing to the limit i may understand..... but nahhhhhh i can't.. not for a motor designed to last 150k miles.... no way in hell...

Old 09-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #46
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
Burning two quarts is moderate to say the least, Id be in the dealership asking WTF. Or someplace to check consumption.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #47
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawV2 View Post
WOW you guys that are ON ME about checking oil levels every 400 miles are really ON ONE.... For what reason would you do that on a car with less than 20k miles????

PLAIN AND SIMPLE IT SHOULD NOT BURN THIS MUCH OIL. regardless......

and to whomever wants to know who taught me about motors tell me how many motors YOU built that did this???

Yep... that's me driving and the motor that I built and maintained..... so please can we keep the topic on how frequently i check oil levels on a car that SHOULDN'T burn oil in like the first 50K miles.....

A warranty most certainly does cover LOW OIL LEVELS if the engine is burning oil when it should not. I don't track this car nor sling it into corners..... If I did I would MAYBE be ok with it consuming a quart between oil changes every 4-5k miles....

A warranty would not cover if the "OIL LOW" Light came on and i kept driving it like a moron... that's not what we're dealing with here......

I mean it's pretty simple.... We have LOTS of dudes in here with NO oil consumption..... We have MOST dudes not coming in this thread because they have NO oil consumption....

And the leftovers are probably the ones who may have improperly seated rings..... i'll just tell the dealer to start doing the oil changes and every time it comes up under serviced i will document then start the lemon law research...
I’m not on you, I just stated what the manual says.

When I read that I too was like WTF ever.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #48
OutlawV2

Quote:
I’m not on you, I just stated what the manual says.

When I read that I too was like WTF ever.
I know man it's just irritating when we have so many "Car guys" on here and nobody seems to be addressing the REAL issue here...

Checking my oil every 400 miles only to see it burning a .5 quart every 400 miles don't make it better...

that's like saying "hey man swap out that band aid every day bro before it gets crusted blood on it" if I continued to bleed....

instead of saying "yeah bro go to the hospital.. cuz continued bleeding aint right..."

LMAOO.....

Old 09-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #49
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
I know man it's just irritating when we have so many "Car guys" on here and nobody seems to be addressing the REAL issue here...

Checking my oil every 400 miles only to see it burning a .5 quart every 400 miles don't make it better...

that's like saying "hey man swap out that band aid every day bro before it gets crusted blood on it" if I continued to bleed....

instead of saying "yeah bro go to the hospital.. cuz continued bleeding aint right..."

LMAOO.....
What would you like them/whoever “here” to do? Nobody here can doing anything. Go to a dealer/call GM and open a case to start tracking it. Sell it, live with it or trade it in. There really aren’t that many options.

I get it, it sucks. Like I said I went through it with my GT350. It took about two months to get them to warranty a new motor. By then it was a quart every 100-300 miles. Then it took them two months to replace the motor. After all that the new one still consumed oil.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:48 PM   #50
MX621

Drives: 2014 z28
OP: what’s your driving habits? If you just cruise around I’d say 2 quarts may be a concern.
If you take it to redline frequently ( as you should ) I’d say 2 quarts @ 6k miles is nothing to be concerned with. Btw. All that oil is most likely sitting in the supercharger and going into the motor, creating a lot of soot/oil sludge on the intake valves. Catch cans on a DI motor are a must IMO.
MX621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:16 AM   #51
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
What would you like them/whoever “here” to do? Nobody here can doing anything. Go to a dealer/call GM and open a case to start tracking it. Sell it, live with it or trade it in. There really aren’t that many options.

I get it, it sucks. Like I said I went through it with my GT350. It took about two months to get them to warranty a new motor. By then it was a quart every 100-300 miles. Then it took them two months to replace the motor. After all that the new one still consumed oil.
Oil consumption like that, or in OP’s, will burn out the exhaust. I’d expect to see deposits in the cats & before that, the plugs would look pretty crappy over time.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:47 AM   #52
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
OP, generally speaking , do you drive like a grandma or like AJ Foyt? That makes all the difference in the world. If I don't do any track days, my car doesn't use a drop between changes. If I take it to the track, it will use around one quart per day. If I never checked my oil and did three track sessions, I'd probably be down 3 quarts. Would that represent excessive oil consumption? I sure don't think so.
At your mileage, it is entirely possible that your oil consumption will decrease when the motor is fully broken in. In my opinion, you should do as others have suggested regarding having the oil changed at the dealer. It's a little premature to be talking about a new motor.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #53
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Oil consumption like that, or in OP’s, will burn out the exhaust. I’d expect to see deposits in the cats & before that, the plugs would look pretty crappy over time.
I don't disagree that could happen, but I'm unsure what it has to do with my post.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #54
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Track days and driving it hard on the street is no excuse for burning a bunch of oil. I just did 2 track days between changes and mine stayed at the full mark on the dipstick. I’d take it to the dealership and try to get them to open a ticket and monitor it. Document it!
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #55
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Track days and driving it hard on the street is no excuse for burning a bunch of oil. I just did 2 track days between changes and mine stayed at the full mark on the dipstick. I’d take it to the dealership and try to get them to open a ticket and monitor it. Document it!
Two track days and zero oil consumption is certainly impressive. Most of my track days are open track sessions. I'm not certain how many miles I'm doing in a typical day; I'll have to check, but I burn two full tanks of gas and don't consider one +/- quarts of oil under these conditions to be at all excessive. If I don't do a track day, I don't use any oil. I would have to drive like a maniac on the street to get the car to consume an appreciable amount of oil between changes. I seriously doubt that the OP is doing this, but he could be. A blanket statement that two quarts in 6000 miles is excessive regardless of how the car is driven is just not accurate
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #56
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
The capacity is the capacity for a reason bro. Oil isn't just for the motor in this car... It lubricates multiple systems. and when you said "you can probably run" you lost me..... Of course i'm aware that 2 quarts down wont' cause me problems....

what my bigger issue is why a motor with 15-20K miles burns oil like the rings have 120k on them?????
I dont think the engine oil lubricates anything but the motor on the ZL1. It flows between the top end for the cams/valves etc. and the bottom end crank/rod bearings and pistons skirt sprayers. Maybe it lubricates the supercharger rotating parts, or maybe there's a separate fluid for that. But those are all parts of the motor/engine, and motor oil lubrication.

I think the trans is only lubricated by trans fluid, the diff by diff fluid, etc. I think with some motorcycles, motor oil also lubricates the trans.

A couple of weird things I've noticed about this car after almost 2 years...

1) as many people have said, it can very hard to get an accurate reading on oil level. I park it and wait for an hour, and then it reads middle of the dipstick hashed marks. Check again after 3 hours total or overnight and it's at the top. But this is very inconsistent, sometimes it reads accurate after 1 hour or less, seems to do this quicker within 500 miles after an oil change, then take longer to settle.
2) If the dipstick reads middle or below middle the hashing after leaving it overnight and I add 4 OZ of oil (1/8 quart) it then reads top of the hashing or even over the top a little. BUT it won't change reading right after pouring it in, unless you add a lot. You MUST drive it and get it fully warmed up before checking the increase from the added oil.

Bottom line for me is that reading oil level is more difficult than on any car I've owned and pattern makes no sense. And when you add oil with a reading already in the hashing and you want to top it up... only add 4 OZ at a time, or you will potentially overfill and have to drain and refill
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote