Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-16-2020, 12:06 AM   #15
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
It makes more noise, so you'll think you're making more power.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:14 AM   #16
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Drop-in air filter does not gain any power on the SS. Has been tested by Jannetty Racing who found zero gain on the dyno, also I had one and it did not make my car go any faster.

If you still want to make a change, then my suggestion is the Rotofab. You will not need to tune for it as it won't screw up the MAF calibration like others do. That is why the GM kit includes a tune, the CAI brand which it actually is (reboxed) does mess up the MAF.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #17
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The Cold Air Inductions CAI will run off the stock tune also! I know I installed one on my 2016 SS and never had any problems/issues. The reason that the Chevy CAI has a tune is to make it 50 state legal and it is made by Cold Air Inductions.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #18
Street Glide

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the info on the Rotofab and the CAI, will have to check on them.
Street Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #19
16RAG2SS

Drives: 2016 Chevrole Camaro SS Convertible
CAI question..... I see RotoFab and GM kits talked about frequently. Are the K&N a "No No" or not worth the effort and money?
16RAG2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #20
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
If a drop in is not going to make any difference in a dyno, then replacing the stock plastic cold air intake for an aftermarket cold air intake isn't going to make much if any difference either except cost you 3-4 hundred bucks.

The only case such a thing would actually be really needed is if you have increased how much air the car can combust and thus the stock setup is now inadequate and such an intake would need a tune because it would have to be bigger than stock. Though, at that point, your drop in may be just as effective depending on how much more air the engine needs over stock.

I dont see any other way you can have a paper->gauze filter change not change dyno numbers. That just wreaks of the car not needing the air it's already got available.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #21
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
A free flow filter swap, intake tube without the resonance chambers and a Iat sensor relocation should produce better results than stock.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #22
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
The Cold Air Inductions CAI will run off the stock tune also! I know I installed one on my 2016 SS and never had any problems/issues. The reason that the Chevy CAI has a tune is to make it 50 state legal and it is made by Cold Air Inductions.
this. actually the stock box and filter is more then the stock engine needs so there is no gain. Once you get rid of the factory cats then you can use as aftermarket.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:21 PM   #23
JCunningham

actually im going to take my rotofab off and put the stock box back on just to see if i can tell on the butt dyno. I bet with my mods all ill notice is a quieter car. It is just a hair too loud for my taste.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 05-23-2020, 01:18 AM   #24
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16RAG2SS View Post
CAI question..... I see RotoFab and GM kits talked about frequently. Are the K&N a "No No" or not worth the effort and money?
I thought K&N was considered nice to have but expensive, that being said I snagged one of their older intakes from a local guy for like $140. Come next week, I will be able to answer if it gives a CEL at least lol.
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:20 AM   #25
JCunningham

K&N have always been considered cheap junk.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #26
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
You were oblivious to the difference because over time the ECM used fuel trims to bring the a/f back into line. That is not the same thing as having a proper calibration though.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #27
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes I know.��
Old 05-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #28
WhitesnakeSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I installed the CAI air box and it didn't throw a code nor have I ever known anybody have a code issue with a cold air box of any kind. Not saying it won't but just the many I have seen have been easy installs with no codes.
The old butt Dyno says no difference but as you start stacking parts such as the Velossa big mouth with ported TB and ported intake is when that hind haunches Dyno starts feeling a bit different.
CAI by itself just isn't but a few ponies if any but the combination of the bolt ons is what you should be building for.
WhitesnakeSS is offline   Reply With Quote