Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-11-2022, 08:42 PM   #1
5150WS6

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Why is determining what these cars are so tough?!?!

So I just got a new to me Camaro. The owner can’t tell me squat about it. I’ve read tons of forum posts and am still not sure. I got a great deal on the car so I’m not worried…..but also I’d like to know what I have.

I know it’s an SS but not confident if it has the RS package also? Nothing in the VIN helps determining this.

VIN shows it’s a 2011 SS with auto trans so that means the L99.
HUD
Sunroof
Heated leather seats with the SS logo
HID’s
It’s silver but had black roof gutters and rear lower bumper until it was painted to match
It has the optional 4 gauge cluster at the base of the shifter
Some of the badges have been converted to black but the one on the grill is still red

Any help? Like I said it’s not a huge deal but I’ve had 6 people tell me it is and then it isn’t.

Thanks for any light you guys can throw on this. I know this is probably an annoying question that’s been asked way too many times.

Mike
5150WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:00 PM   #2
The SS Godfather

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150WS6 View Post
So I just got a new to me Camaro. The owner can’t tell me squat about it. I’ve read tons of forum posts and am still not sure. I got a great deal on the car so I’m not worried…..but also I’d like to know what I have.

I know it’s an SS but not confident if it has the RS package also? Nothing in the VIN helps determining this.

HUD
Sunroof
HID’s
It’s silver but had black roof gutters and rear lower bumper until it was painted to match
Some of the badges have been converted to black but the one on the grill is still red

Any help? Like I said it’s not a huge deal but I’ve had 6 people tell me it is and then it isn’t.

Thanks for any light you guys can throw on this. I know this is probably an annoying question that’s been asked way too many times.

Mike

Hey Hey.............
LT and SS models are available with the RS package, which adds 20-inch wheel, body-color roof moldings and antenna, as well as high-intensity discharge headlamps. Eighteen-inch wheels are standard on LS and LT model, with 20-inch wheels standard on SS.
The SS Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:01 PM   #3
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
look in the Trunk at the Service Parts plate on the left side of the wheel well under the carpet

You will have a list of numbers
if yours is an RS SS you should have the WRS in this List
And you can also tell if its a 1SS or a 2SS
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:02 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:

HUD
Sunroof
HID’s

Mike
At first blush, it sounds like an SS/RS. Does it have operational fog lights? HUD, HID, instrument cluster…While none of these these things individually guarantee a factory RS, I think few would add all of these options in an attempt to fool. Are you sure the VIN doesn’t shed some light on it?

It does have Brembo brakes, right?
Old 04-11-2022, 09:15 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
HUD
HID’s
All standard on a 2SS. None of these have anything to do with the RS package.

Quote:
Since you said the ditch moldings was black and had to be painted to match, then this is not an RS car.

You can also tell from the tail lights. The RS package also came with dark red lens (and I mean they are really dark) instead of the regular red lens. So look the lens and see. If they seem like regular or a bright red, then it is not an RS. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...62&postcount=3

Quote:
ignore the badge. Pretty sure someone just put that on as based on your description your car is not an 2SS/RS and is just the basic 2SS.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:20 PM   #6
5150WS6

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I will confirm with the trunk sticker. Didn’t even know that existed.

And yes Brembo brakes and 20” wheels.

Draco……that’s sort of what I was thinking but thank you for confirming the thought. I’ll also check out the sticker as spyder mentioned.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by 5150WS6; 04-11-2022 at 09:36 PM.
5150WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #7
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
All standard on a 2SS. None of these have anything to do with the RS package.

Since you said the ditch moldings was black and had to be painted to match, then this is not an RS car.

You can also tell from the tail lights. The RS package also came with dark red lens (and I mean they are really dark) instead of the regular red lens. So look the lens and see. If they seem like regular or a bright red, then it is not an RS. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...62&postcount=3

ignore the badge. Pretty sure someone just put that on as based on your description your car is not an 2SS/RS and is just the basic 2SS.
Hids are only part of the RS package. 2SS non RS got regular ole headlights. I’d be more willing to bet someone needed to replace peeling roof ditch molding paint than swapping to HIDS but anything is possible. As said above WRS is what you need to look for.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:16 AM   #8
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Leather seats and 4 pack of gauges are indicators of a 2SS. Should have silver plastic door inserts and bluish ambient lighting in the panels. The RS package will be HID headlights, body color ditch moldings, smoked tail lights, 20" Midnight Silver rims and red exterior SS badges. But anyone could have swapped items out. Lift the carpet in the trunk and get the info on the tag.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:25 AM   #9
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Another option is for you to contact your local Chevrolet dealership or any chevrolet dealer really and ask them to email you the invoice and/or build sheet. I contacted the selling dealer sales manager clear across the country on my car and I had both via email in less than 5 minutes..free of charge.👍
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:14 PM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
In 2011, leather seats indicate 2SS.

If it has a foglight push button in the middle of the headlight dial, it's NOT RS. That's a lot harder to change than roof gutters.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:46 PM   #11
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:50 AM   #12
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Weird that it would have black ditch moldings.

The RS is an appearance pkg that got you HID's Smoked Wheels Darker Red Taillights and body color ditch molding.

The 2SS is a option pkg that included the 4 pack gauges leather seats ect

here are a couple of thread links for you

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17032

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5250
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:17 AM   #13
Mr2Hard2See
Instagram: Mr2Hard2See

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS
My 2011 2SS/rs came with a 21” factory wheel not 20”.
Che bronze trunnion Ls3 timing/valley cover
Dod/vvt delete Dsx e85 Dsx aux fuel pump Id1050x injectors ZL1 fuel pump, Griptech 2.55 pulley, Solo performance Mach ll 2.5 catback exhaust 1 7/8th Lt headers
Mr2Hard2See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:32 AM   #14
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Hard2See View Post
My 2011 2SS/rs came with a 21” factory wheel not 20”.
That was an option back then. Pretty expensive one, too.

But where is the OP? Can't figure out how to open the trunk to look at the tag?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote