Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #57
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfm4000 View Post
How often is everyone doing transmission fluid?

I plan on doing a track day or 3 right after my 1500 mi, so I was going to do oil and diff, but maybe tranny as well if its required?
Guys...read the manual - the info is all there
Tranny/diff fluids should be changed every 20 hrs.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #58
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa22 View Post
Thanks for the advice.

Feeling like that the Dealership Service Dept I am working with is somewhat on the price gouging side -- they are asking $375 for the diff fluid change -- from the description of the job itself, that seems a bit on the high side.
They are likely quoting you a complete diff *service* incl gasket change etc which is NOT required. I paid $67 bucks for fluid change at my dealer.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #59
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa22 View Post
Would you guys recommend changing the diff fluid as an essential item at 1500 miles? Dealership down here in HI is saying that it's only a 100k service item and is questioning why I would want it done.
Show your dealer the car's manual: it is all there
Old 08-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #60
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I agree we are getting lots of threads about it but it's way too simple to be able to create a sticky for. Its literally a drain plug and a fill plug. Drain the fluid then refill it with the recommended AC Delco fluid using a screw on fluid pump like shown below. Drive the car in a few figure 8's in a parking lot then come back and top off the fluid again if it dropped any. That's it. It honestly is less involved than an oil change and I don't think making a sticky for an oil change would work either.

The service manual indicates the fluid should be filled to the bottom of the fill plug once, then button the system up and you're done. It makes no mention of doing a figure 8 procedure and re-checking the fluid level.

Has anyone done that additional procedure and found the need to add more fluid to get the level back up to the bottom of the fill plug? I have never done that on my 1SS (non-1LE) or any other car.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #61
TrackClub

Not here. If the car is hoisted vs raised by its rear it should be fine just filling up to the upper fill hole once. Per the manual.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #62
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Not here. If the car is hoisted vs raised by its rear it should be fine just filling up to the upper fill hole once. Per the manual.
Thanks! I had my car level when doing the job.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:03 AM   #63
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
The service manual indicates the fluid should be filled to the bottom of the fill plug once, then button the system up and you're done. It makes no mention of doing a figure 8 procedure and re-checking the fluid level.

Has anyone done that additional procedure and found the need to add more fluid to get the level back up to the bottom of the fill plug? I have never done that on my 1SS (non-1LE) or any other car.

Thanks in advance for any input.
You'll get a little more in there if you reopen it after a little driving on a 1LE since you have a diff cooler. I'd say not a big deal either way but you might get an ounce or two more squeezed in there.

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #64
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
You'll get a little more in there if you reopen it after a little driving on a 1LE since you have a diff cooler. I'd say not a big deal either way but you might get an ounce or two more squeezed in there.
That step is not needed, the diff sits in a bath thats half full (fill hole level) so every rotation it dips in, when you drive oil is being pulled into the diff (normal) coating it, Only reason why you are able to fill it a tiny bit more is due to oil sitting on the diff surfaces that has not drained back. so if you let it sit for a few hours the level will remain the same.

The diff cooler is a separate unit that uses transmission fluid.

@2:40 https://youtu.be/hQXK3_lTgtU

Last edited by thescreensavers; 08-07-2017 at 09:01 AM.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #65
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
That step is not needed, the diff sits in a bath thats half full (fill hole level) so every rotation it dips in, when you drive oil is being pulled into the diff (normal) coating it, Only reason why you are able to fill it a tiny bit more is due to oil sitting on the diff surfaces that has not drained back. so if you let it sit for a few hours the level will remain the same.
Humm, first I have heard of this, but it makes sense...so your thinking is don't drive it, and top it off...even if you fill it backed onto low ramps?
Old 08-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #66
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Humm, first I have heard of this, but it makes sense...so your thinking is don't drive it, and top it off...even if you fill it backed onto low ramps?
You want to drive a little too warm up diff fluid so it flows out faster but there is no need for a secondary top off. Fill until it start spilling out the fill hole and you put in about 1.2+ quarts and you are good to go.

Last edited by thescreensavers; 08-07-2017 at 08:39 PM.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #67
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
You want to drive a little too warm up diff fluid so it flows out faster but there is no need for a secondary top off. Fill until it start spilling out the fill hole and you put in about 1.2+ quarts and you are good to go.
Good call on the drive it first thing, never thought about that...as I usually like to work on a cool car lol.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #68
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Tranny/diff fluids should be changed every 20 hrs.
I know the diff fluid change info, but where are you seeing that the trans fluid also needs to be changed for the 6 spd? Both the owner's manual and high performance supplement only specify fluid changes for the auto trans, and I was under the impression that the 6 spd was fine as-is?
Old 08-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #69
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
I know the diff fluid change info, but where are you seeing that the trans fluid also needs to be changed for the 6 spd? Both the owner's manual and high performance supplement only specify fluid changes for the auto trans, and I was under the impression that the 6 spd was fine as-is?
Trans fluid does not need to be changed.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #70
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Quote:

The diff cooler is a separate unit that uses transmission fluid.

@2:40 https://youtu.be/hQXK3_lTgtU
Quote:

You're right, mine did take a little more on second top off, even after the sit (but maybe an ounce). GREAT VIDEO! THANKS

Mishimoto needs a 1LE haha

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote