Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Engine Oil Low

So I took my car to the dealership to get my 2nd free oil change done. I bought the car used with 11,000 miles on it and yesterday it had 21,000 miles on it. Got the service done and I drove it from Huntsville, Alabama to Atlanta, Georgia without a hitch. 3.5 hours of driving and and get to my friends house. Went to get in the car and take him for a ride and the Low Engine Oil light is on so I left it because his house is on such an incline I thought it was just reading wrong. Went to a concert, left the car parked and de died to Che I it again before I went to bed. Still getting the Check engine oil warning. I am friends with my Service writer and he told me this morning to not drive it and he would pull the ticket to see how much oil was billed on the ticket. He informed me that it was shown it was billed for 6 quarts but the mechanic swore he put in 8 quarts of oil. I ended up having to add 4 QUARTS OF OIL to get it to read on the stick! I am 😤. The question is have I already done irreversible damage to the engine? It never dropped oil pressure under 35 psi the whole trip. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Pissed off Camaro owner😤
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
With any luck you should be OK especially since you kept an eye on oil pressure. I'd take it back to the dealership and make sure they have documented their screw up into your service records in case there is a problem down the line.

I have had three oil changes at the dealership (2 free from GM & one free from the dealership). I always verified up front that they knew it needed 10 quarts and I always had them pull the stick and show it to me before it left the bay. Plus I verified that the service ticket showed 10 quarts. I have read about too many dealership screw ups on this and it made me be very specific and anal with the oil change technician.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
dmcmahan60

Thank you so much for your reply and they are more than happy to accommodate my needs. Have an appointment to talk to the Service Manager on Monday. They have been very cool with the whole me not losing my shit attitude because 4 quarts low thing. 2 free oil changes get fuel fill up. Car wash. They know they FARKED Up but they are stepping up to the plate!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #4
dmcmahan60

So the Service manager sat down and he agreed that it should have never happened. So they are going to bump my powertrain warranty out to 100k and or 72 months. I think that is reasonable what do you think?
Old 08-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I hope you learned your lesson that you never leave a dealership where they've messed with the oil, without checking the stick…dealer staff cannot be trusted.....

But I'm sure you're fine. Especially if you were not tracking or "hot shoeing" in the car, and just using it normally. All engines have to go through essentially what's known as a "secretary test" which means they totally abuse the engine in testing and basically run it almost with no oil in it at high rpm. Otherwise they would have huge warranty problems if they were that sensitive with Oil level.

Last edited by Glen e; 08-15-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #6
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
So the Service manager sat down and he agreed that it should have never happened. So they are going to bump my powertrain warranty out to 100k and or 72 months. I think that is reasonable what do you think?
I think that is pretty reasonable.

And ignore the idiots who want to blame you for someone else's mistakes, that's just a completely unreasonable and illogical stance to take.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I think that's very acceptable.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
Bodyslide

Drives: Traded in 2016 BLUE VELVET 2LT RS
Please make sure you get that in writing and save that paper for the entire time.
Bodyslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
I am friends with my Service writer and he told me this morning to not drive it and he would pull the ticket to see how much oil was billed on the ticket. He informed me that it was shown it was billed for 6 quarts but the mechanic swore he put in 8 quarts of oil.
Both of the free oil changes on my Camaro were done at the same dealership. Each time I checked the paperwork and also checked the dipstick at the dealership before starting the car. Both times the oil level was correct but the paperwork showed less than 10 quarts of oil. I asked them and they told me they just write up a standard oil change in their system. So in my case the car had the correct amount of oil even though the paperwork showed less. Seems odd to me but whatever. Now that I'm done with free changes I'll switch to the new Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP and do it myself.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
dmcmahan60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
Please make sure you get that in writing and save that paper for the entire time.
The Service Manager said I would get a letter from GM stating the new warranty change information.