Curious curious...V6 and V8. Makes me wonder what the Zl1 will bring
Old 02-12-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedruish View Post
http://m.caranddriver.com/news/2017-...-and-info-news

Curious curious...V6 and V8. Makes me wonder what the Zl1 will bring
The sc LT4 from the Gen 7 Z06, which is already in the new CTS-V.

cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:11 AM   #3
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
All for the mighty $

My analogy is same as when Chevy added the Z71 package to 2wd trucks. It aint right :( Waters down the legacy
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Next thing you know they'll bring back the old Cavalier Z24 moniker for the 4 banger.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
All for the mighty $

My analogy is same as when Chevy added the Z71 package to 2wd trucks. It aint right :( Waters down the legacy
What Legacy? The 1LE was a package not a special edition and had no specific build numbers. I didn't realize track capable cars could only be V8s
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
All for the mighty $

lolwut

It's a handling package. Why shouldn't every Camaro regardless of engine (and all three engines are excellent performers, mind you) handle well?
Old 02-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
lkurek

Drives: 2015 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
What Legacy? The 1LE was a package not a special edition and had no specific build numbers. I didn't realize track capable cars could only be V8s
Sigh.....the LTV8 (That is less than V8) folks always get a bit defensive about this.... The V8 is a staple of a pony car, and is what the "legacy" of the OP was referenced to. The V6 and now I4 versions of the car, while sweet....light....good mileage....etc, are NOT Pony cars. They are commuter cars. Nice ones no doubt, and glad to see RWD of anything out there.....but the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger of true decent....all have the V8

<ducking>
lkurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
prod

Drives: HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkurek View Post
The V6 and now I4 versions of the car, while sweet....light....good mileage.better handling...etc, are NOT Pony cars.

<ducking>
Fixed.
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #9
CamaroinCLE

Drives: 2014 CRT LT
Quote:
Sigh.....the LTV8 (That is less than V8) folks always get a bit defensive about this.... The V8 is a staple of a pony car, and is what the "legacy" of the OP was referenced to. The V6 and now I4 versions of the car, while sweet....light....good mileage....etc, are NOT Pony cars. They are commuter cars. Nice ones no doubt, and glad to see RWD of anything out there.....but the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger of true decent....all have the V8

<ducking>
So what would you call a car that could beat the pants off a V8 (maybe even today??)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...987-buick-gnx/
CamaroinCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #10
lkurek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroinCLE View Post
So what would you call a car that could beat the pants off a V8 (maybe even today??)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...987-buick-gnx/
A damn nice car. Just not a pony/muscle car. And a forced induction car going up against 180hp wheezers back then.....(I mean really, crossfire injection vette's were sad) was damn sweet. Still, a proper musclecar is a V8, RWD, and manual trans.

Yes, an auto is quicker.
Yes a lightweight V6/I4 car can handle (all else being equal) better
Yes, a boosted V6 can make more power than a lot of NA V8's...turned up high enough

Still doesnt get around what a muscle car is. And I am 1000% serious.....I have nothing against the V6 owners or the cars. Heck, they do make great commuter cars and can take advantage of all the cosmetic/suspension mods of the V8's....so no hate here. But on the other hand, you have to acknowledge that a V8 car is more overall badazz car than a lesser V6 or I4
Old 02-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #11
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
It's all relative. I have a V6 RS for my wife and not offended. She went from a 160hp Minivan to a 323HP+ 5th Gen Camaro. The best part is, the mod check-book is always open, because it's hers. Pony Bologna, call it whatever you want.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #12
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:

<ducking>
His entire post was about the performance package not the Legacy of the Camaro, hence why his analogy was referring to another performance package.
The V6 may not be the muscle car engine however its historical connection to the Camaro runs just as deep and is the backbone for the continued production of said muscle cars.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #13
lkurek

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
His entire post was about the performance package not the Legacy of the Camaro, hence why his analogy was referring to another performance package.
The V6 may not be the muscle car engine however its historical connection to the Camaro runs just as deep and is the backbone for the continued production of said muscle cars.
Volume leader....not backbone.

Sorry for the movement of the thread from its original poster....I was just trying to comment on another posters comment.....and well, off it went

And yes, a 1LE setup on a V6 car would be a nice upgrade. Pretty sure we can all agree that on a tight track, a lighter weight V6, with a better F/R weight distribution, with a taut handling package, would be a blast! Nice to see GM offer handling packages across the model spectrum....from the commuter/volume cars to the top of the line ones.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #14
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
All for the mighty $

There is no reason to be offended by Ryan's comments. I've owned a 3rd, 4th and 2 5th gens, 1 of them a V6 and loved my V6.

When the 1LE was introduced for the 3rd gen (1988), it was a limited "track" optioned car. Not the "iron duke", nor anything other than the V8 made it into the 1LEs. (yes, today's V6 is far better than 88's V8, I'm sure some will bring this up). The 4th gen also offered V6s, well, you get my point...

This kind of feels like BMW's M and Benz's AMG to me. There was a time when these packages meant something. Now days, everything's an AMG and M, from BMW's worthless M SUV's that suck as a "too fat sports car" in the summer and as a "4wd with racing tires" in the winter to Benz's AMG minivans, it all became a joke. Other than a price premium, these once special names mean nothing.

I'm not saying the 17 1LE is a marketing ploy, it's an amazing car. But for those who argue that the 1LE means nothing, has no legacy, that's your view, some of us see it differently.