Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 09-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
flaudia402

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Buying new car from out of state dealer - advice?

Been looking for a 2018 1SS 1LE for a while and the dealers in my local market are not really willing to budge on price. I’m coming across a few dealers in the south who are offering considerably greater savings. Making it worthwhile for me to consider purchasing and having them ship to me.

My worry is this, I’ve noticed some of you have bought these cars sight unseen. I understand some are forum sponsor dealers with trusted relationships, but I’m still wondering if I should be leery about this. Buying a new car with warranty, less than 10 miles on the odometer and having it shipped, while it sounds safe - should I be concerned about any issues when the car arrives? How many of you did this and came out okay? Does this happen fairly often? Any resolution if the car shows up on a delivery truck and I come to find damage or the car isn’t driving properly? Do I take this up with GM or the dealership I purchased from?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Duplicate thread. Sorry, mods delete.

Last edited by flaudia402; 09-04-2018 at 10:07 PM.
flaudia402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
Trackpack

Drives: 1LE
I personally wouldn't pay to ship a brand new vehicle at this price point. A well booked flight and Uber should be available for you for under $500. Shipping a vehicle could be $700 to $1000 and you would have to trust the carrier to maintain great insurance. It's a new car that you should be able to drive anywhere right off the lot. Shipping becomes more viable when you get into Porsche GT3 RS territory and you don't want miles on the vehicle.
Trackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:26 AM   #3
MarkC

Drives: 2018 HBM 2SS/1LE
Go get it!

I live in Aiken, SC. I purchased my last 5 cars from:
Detroit, MI (flew up, seller met me at airport)
Bowling Green, KY (flew, rented car)
Atlanta, GA (traded in previous car)
Bowling Green, KY (rented car for entire trip)
Columbia, SC (bummed a ride)

Unless your dealer is in the middle of nowhere they'll prob be happy to give you a ride from a local airport.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:49 AM   #4
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I would want to do the deal in person.
There are two parts to buying a car, the paper work and the actual delivery. If there is an issue with the car you don't have to accept the car on delivery. Once you take it off the lot, it's yours.
Having a car shipped to your location might eliminate that last chance to stop a deal if there is an issue. You could have a car shipped to you that has a flaw, and since it's in your hands, now it's your problem.

When buying mine I was told the car I wanted was in transport and wouldn't be at the dealer for two to three weeks.
Fine, I'll come back at the end of the month.
Three days later the dealer calls and tells me the car is there and ready. Go back down two weeks later, to take delivery of this car they had "ready and waiting" for the whole two weeks.

Salesman brings the car around. It's never been prepped. Front spring shipping spacers still in the springs. Black bow ties never installed. Spoiler end caps missing, and no where to be found. Dent in passenger rear quarter panel. And the car had nearly 80 miles on the odometer, was suppose to fresh off the truck.

Needless to say I didn't accept that car and went home with a different one.

These are new cars, but stuff can happen between Michigan and where ever your dealer is located, and stuff can happen while sitting at the dealer.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #5
Goldfish

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE
Not to be too much of a sales pitch here, but if you go to a forum dealer, you'll probably be taken care of. Britain Chevrolet (GearheadSS) near Dallas was where I bought my car from, and you could immediately tell when you arrive at the dealership that they love camaros and take really good care of them. That being said, I don't know if I would have bought a car sight unseen without visiting the dealership at least once. I ended up renting a car and driving to Greenville to pick up my car there, and it was worth the time. Plus, it gave me an excuse to drive several hundred miles on back roads in a brand new car, which was pretty awesome.
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
I bought one car and had it shipped. The shipper the dealer employed sub-contracted and I received a damaged car, the front valence, probably from loading the car on an improper open 5th wheel, delivered late to boot. It was a terrible experience for me and the dealer got caught with an unplanned headache and expense.

My take? Go and get the car. Unless it is some exotic, it could be a cool part of the ownership experience to drive your new car for a couple of days.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Z0Tex
@texan.1le

Drives: '18 Camaro 1SS 1LE, PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish View Post
Not to be too much of a sales pitch here, but if you go to a forum dealer, you'll probably be taken care of. Britain Chevrolet (GearheadSS) near Dallas was where I bought my car from, and you could immediately tell when you arrive at the dealership that they love camaros and take really good care of them. That being said, I don't know if I would have bought a car sight unseen without visiting the dealership at least once. I ended up renting a car and driving to Greenville to pick up my car there, and it was worth the time. Plus, it gave me an excuse to drive several hundred miles on back roads in a brand new car, which was pretty awesome.
This. A whole lot of this.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackpack View Post
I personally wouldn't pay to ship a brand new vehicle at this price point. A well booked flight and Uber should be available for you for under $500. Shipping a vehicle could be $700 to $1000 and you would have to trust the carrier to maintain great insurance. It's a new car that you should be able to drive anywhere right off the lot. Shipping becomes more viable when you get into Porsche GT3 RS territory and you don't want miles on the vehicle.
This. I've bought cars from about as far away in the US as possible (Portland, OR, live in Tampa, FL..) and have always driven them home.

Granted it takes some vacation time for a long drive but it lets you learn the car, break it in on the way home (ie don't set cruise on the interstate...), explore some new locations, etc.

Oh.. and you can inspect the car BEFORE taking delivery and stuff.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
desertmonkey

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaudia402 View Post
Been looking for a 2018 1SS 1LE for a while and the dealers in my local market are not really willing to budge on price. I’m coming across a few dealers in the south who are offering considerably greater savings. Making it worthwhile for me to consider purchasing and having them ship to me.

My worry is this, I’ve noticed some of you have bought these cars sight unseen. I understand some are forum sponsor dealers with trusted relationships, but I’m still wondering if I should be leery about this. Buying a new car with warranty, less than 10 miles on the odometer and having it shipped, while it sounds safe - should I be concerned about any issues when the car arrives? How many of you did this and came out okay? Does this happen fairly often? Any resolution if the car shows up on a delivery truck and I come to find damage or the car isn’t driving properly? Do I take this up with GM or the dealership I purchased from?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Duplicate thread. Sorry, mods delete.

I thought LA had much better deals compared to the Bay Area? Have you reached out to Community Chevrolet? I worked with a fantastic guy there to get mine. Highly recommend them. If you'd like I can share his contact information
desertmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #10
Art again
Artagain

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I live in the Boston area and drove to a PA dealer to get mine. The salesmen sent me additional pics, and after talking with him on the phone several times I felt comfortable driving down there. Rented a car and crashed in a local hotel. The car was in mint condition. I've heard too many horror stories about shipped cars.
Art again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #11
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Find a car you like. If you've seen good photos and like the deal, fly into town. Have the salesman pick you up at the airport or take an Uber. Inspect the car. Have them note any issues. Drive it home and deal with issues with your local dealer. They have to honor any warranty problem.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #12
Dmac2018

Drives: 2018 camaro 2SS 1LE
I am on my 2nd 2018 2SS 1LE. The first one I flew in to get. The second one I put on a uhaul car hauler and trailer it home. I would definitely go get it.
Dmac2018 is offline   Reply With Quote