Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Vermont Tuning Review: Flex Fuel=Done!

To start off, I asked Brian@Vermont Tuning if he would mind if I talked about my experience with him on this forum. His response to that question was:
" You are always welcome to post your experiences with my services, good and bad "
So here goes.......

Once I decided I wanted a tune, I thoroughly reviewed all the available options. With 6000 miles on the clock, I wanted a little extra security net "just in case". Only two companies offered any kind of PCM write count protection. Trifecta, and Vermont tuning. After chatting with both companies, the choice was obvious. Brian was super knowledgeable and answered everything I asked correctly. Vermont tuning also happens to be the ONLY company able to offer true "flex" fuel capability. That is important because if your going to pump E85 right from the pump like I am, you may find anything from 51% ethanol to 90% ethanol. Your tune must be able to compensate for those differences. No exception. I won't go into detail about the incremental PCM write count protection Vtuner offers, but after exchanging files with Brian for the last month, I have a good understanding of how he does it, and its quite genius. Im 100% confident following the instructions to restore the factory tune, it will be completely UN-detectable by any tool we use here at the dealership level. I do believe this service can only be achieved using EFI live, and the same goes with flex fuel capability. I purchased the flex fuel tune, and flex fuel sensor kit. It comes with a handheld autocal unit that you keep. Its really nice to have because I can data log and review any time I want. The flex fuel kit came with a nice surprise, the correct PCM packard connector already attached to the signal wire. That connector is actually not available separately, so it was great not having to source that out beforehand.
Installation was super easy. Vermont provides you with multiple instructional's throughout the entire process. Could not have been simpler. Brian sent me the very first PCM revision on
6-18-18. Just yesterday 7-24-18 I sent him the final log for review. Over a month he spent tweaking and adjusting making sure everything was up to his standards. His response times are amazing to say the least. One time I emailed him after a tune revision with a problem. The car was "too" responsive if you can believe that. About the third time I accidentally did a burnout backing out of a parking spot, I emailed Brian and asked if he could make it "less" responsive. The next morning a revision was in my email. Brian@Vermont Tuning handled my tuning needs with a level of professionalism and expertise that I was not expecting. His attention to detail was shocking, and I actually learned quite a bit throughout the process. I really feel like he cared about my car, my tune, and me as a customer.(Brian has no ideal I'm actually in the automotive field, I never once mentioned it)

I want to talk about the car a little bit. I have tons of data, pics, numbers ect. in my build thread for anyone interested. The numbers themselves really don't mean anything as far as a dyno goes. I doesn't mean I will or won't actually dyno at those numbers. What it is though, is a tuning tool in a controlled, repeatable test environment. (much like a dyno should be used) From start to finish, my HP/TQ increased a MASSIVE 32% !! Mind you my car is absolutely BONE stock other that Vermont Tuning's flex fuel kit and tune. Before tuning, I was averaging a consistent 5.6 0-60 ,with one hero run of 5.4. After tuning, messing around a bit I've already hit 4.9 0-60 a few times. Getting power to the ground has become my biggest problem on launch. The car itself feels completely transformed. An animal compared to what it once was. Power comes in much sooner, and lasts longer in the rpm range. The difference in available power across the board is almost absurd. I have to completely re-learn how to drive and operate this thing in a reasonable manner. Caught myself a few times on long sweeping turns from a stop, going a bit sideways un intentionally.

I feel like there was a ton more I wanted to say, but the post is pretty long already.

My take away from this experience: If you are looking for remote tuning, for 93, E85, flex fuel, anything LTG, and want a personal experience with amazing results, it is my 100% recommendation to use Vermont Tuning. Thank you Brian!

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----

Last edited by cooper1965; 07-29-2018 at 08:51 PM.
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Awesome!!! This is very inspirational news. I'm assuming you're having a hard time wiping the shit eating grin off of your face. I'm down to two tuners, either Vermont or BNR. I'm struggling to make the choice. Those are the only two tuners that use EFI Live that I'm aware of. I don't need a flex fuel tune because we don't have E85 in the PNW. I do need a 91, 92 and 100 octane tune. Does Vermont have the option for 5 separate tunes on the hand held device?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 07-25-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Awesome!!! This is very inspirational news. I'm assuming you're having a hard time wiping the shit eating grin off of your face. I'm down to two tuners, either Vermont or BNR. I'm struggling to make the choice. Those are the only two tuners that use EFI Live that I'm aware of. I don't need a flex fuel tune because we don't have E85 in the PNW. I do need a 91, 92 and 100 octane tune. Does Vermont have the option for 5 separate tunes on the hand held device?

Your right. It is fun!! The car was Great in stock form as a DD.....BUT now, its like,...I roast through intersections at ease, lol

I can't speak for Vermont, or what options Brian may offer. I was just as random of a customer as they get.

Clearly you have done your research on available tables in EFI Live for the LTG, as that is your choice on PCM tuning software. If your struggling with a decision, I strongly advise you to at least Email Vermont..
There was a point during my tuning process that I actually considered NOT going flex fuel. It was right after the 93 octane portion of the tuning was completed with Vermont. The car was great, easier to control on launch, consistent and quick.

I would think with EFI, Brian could use just one tune for your needs, scaling fuel tables. I can run anything from 93-E98 on Brians tune. Something you'd have to inquire about.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 09-05-2018, 03:06 AM   #4
2pointOhNo

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Not trying to bump an old thread but im now also on the Vermont tuning flex fuel tune. Car is so much better on E85, lower oil and coolant temps too.
2pointOhNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
CH.CRAFT

Drives: 2018 HOT WHEELS SS 6 SPEED COUPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pointOhNo View Post
Not trying to bump an old thread but im now also on the Vermont tuning flex fuel tune. Car is so much better on E85, lower oil and coolant temps too.
HAVE YOU CHECKED THE MPG BETWEEN 93 AND E-85, AND WHAT IS THE COST DIFFERENCE PER GALLON IN YOUR AREA ?
CH.CRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
Awesome man. There are so many benefits using this fuel, its un-real. I knew alot of the engine side stuff, but some other things Im just noticing. Like, wait till you change the oil after running E85 for a full cycle. I was shocked how clean it was, looked brand new, and stuff like I used to wipe the black soot off of my tail pipes every car wash,.. I have not touched them since running E85..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH.CRAFT View Post
HAVE YOU CHECKED THE MPG BETWEEN 93 AND E-85, AND WHAT IS THE COST DIFFERENCE PER GALLON IN YOUR AREA ?

I did a cost comparison in my build thread after running E for awhile. 93 VS E85. I will copy it here.

25$ gets 11 gallons of E and I can drive 253 miles.
25$ gets 7.6 gallons of 93' , I can drive 228 miles.

Cost is still very similar in my area, $3.17gal for 93,.. $2.12gal for E85
So even though my average MPG is down 30%, my cost at the pump is actually down, but my power is WAY up.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 09-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
jvillareal1978

Drives: 2017 Camrao 2LT RS
I don't know about other states, but here in Arizona we have FlexFuel/E85 stations but its actually E54. I have been getting my E85 from Torco Race Fuels here and it is $5 per gallon. I have also ran E98 a few times since its a dollar more. The results are insane.
jvillareal1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
2pointOhNo

Are you running straight E85? I had 93 left in the tank and settled in around e40. With my exhaust and intake mods i was worried about running out of fuel pressure.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #9
jvillareal1978

Yes, I have been running just e85 for the last 6 tank fill ups. For what its worth I also use Lucas Oil 10576 Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner. I have not had any issues as of yet that I can tell.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #10
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
Are you running straight E85? I had 93 left in the tank and settled in around e40. With my exhaust and intake mods i was worried about running out of fuel pressure.

You will be fine with any bolt-on, or combination of bolt-ons currently available (except a Turbo), running full E85. You won't run out of fuel. I am lucky enough to be paying 2.12gal for pump E85 measuring 81-86% ethanol. Test your different local pumps with the Autocal. There is a 35% ethanol difference between 2 gas stations, blocks apart from each other in my town. You want more ethanol... Trust me

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 09-07-2018, 03:34 AM   #11
2pointOhNo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
You will be fine with any bolt-on, or combination of bolt-ons currently available (except a Turbo), running full E85. You won't run out of fuel. I am lucky enough to be paying 2.12gal for pump E85 measuring 81-86% ethanol. Test your different local pumps with the Autocal. There is a 35% ethanol difference between 2 gas stations, blocks apart from each other in my town. You want more ethanol... Trust me
Flex Fuel at Speedway near me is $2.19 a gallon and tests 84-90 ethanol content according to friends.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #12
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
Flex Fuel at Speedway near me is $2.19 a gallon and tests 84-90 ethanol content according to friends.
Thats awesome. I've been using the Wal-Mart owned gas stations for E85. Have not had any below 80% ethanol yet. Hoping that trend continues over the winter months. I paid a little more today 2.15/gal. But, I looked down at the 93 and it was 3.34/gal !! Ouch..Glad Im not in Arizona with jvillareal1978... That would kinda suck..
I bet the E98 was fun though

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 09-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #13
2.0t_godfather

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2.0t
If He'd sell this unlocked I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I guess I'll just have to wait on hp tuners to get their act together.
2.0t_godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #14
jvillareal1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0t_godfather View Post
If He'd sell this unlocked I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I guess I'll just have to wait on hp tuners to get their act together.

I'm pretty new to all the tuning and stuff, what do you mean unlocked?