Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
SkiRideDrive

Drives: WTB Camaro
Canyon Carving - Opinions on SS vs. SS 1LE

Hello,

Situation
I am interested in purchasing an SS camaro, 2016+ could be used or new depending on the deal. I am weighing whether I should look for a car with the 1LE package.

I want to spend as little as possible, but I also want a car that handles well dynamically. I do not require massive amounts of grip, but would like it to be balanced, and be able to be driven very aggressively without overheating, roasting the brakes, etc. Car will be used as DD, canyon carver, and occasional track day. I test drove a standard SS and like it quite a bit, except for the suspension seemed a bit soft for my taste (currently drive an FRS) and the brakes seemed inadequate.

Options
1. Just get the 1LE and be good to go.
2. Get the standard SS and add coilovers and possibly performance brake pads.

Thoughts:
To me the real advantage to the 1LE is the suspension and brakes. I have read here that the SS includes all the coolers the 1LE does so no difference there. I don't need a ton of grip and prefer lower consumable cost so figured the standard tire and wheel package may be adequate. I do like a well damped and suspended car however, and feel the stock SS suspension wouldn't do it for me. NPP is not necessary.

I had a few questions for those willing to offer their opinion:
1. Difference in tire cost for standard wheels vs 1LE?
2. Are the SS brakes adequate for aggressive canyon and track work? During my test drive they felt like they felt weak, but I think they may not have been bedded in yet as they didn't increase braking force linearly with pedal pressure.
3. Any opinions on the 1LE differential versus standard differential?
4. Recommendations on coilovers for the SS?
5. Does the 1LE add any stiffening bushings to stiffen up the chassis/suspension? I generally prefer cars with a stiffer bushing setup to standard.

1LE additions according to Chevy:

Magnetic Ride Control
Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
tires†
Summer-only Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires† with a compound and construction developed exclusively for Camaro
Brembo brakes with 6-piston monobloc front calipers and 2-piece rotors
Track cooling package with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
Suede steering wheel with shorter-throw shifter
Dual-mode exhaust system
Satin black hood, front splitter and unique 3-piece rear spoiler

Thank you!
SkiRideDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
biggest question will you actually be tracking it or just fun weekend canyon carver car?
Old 08-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Drives: 2006 GMC Duramax 2500 HD, 2016 2SS
If you get a SS with Mag Ride, your golden. I carve up mountains all the time. I also lowered my car and added heavy duty front and rear sway bars. Now If you are going to track the car then you want a 1LE.
2016 2SS Garnet Red 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Black Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, Corvette Z51 Black Wheels, Black Front Fascia, aFe / PFADT Suspension Lowering Springs, Black High Rise Rear Spoiler. High flow headers, E85, Roto-Fab Cold Air, MSD Atomic AirForce Intake. aFe / PFADT Front & Rear Sway Bar. Pushing 520 to the Rear Wheels
martelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I'm sure the SS is great.

I know the SS 1LE is great - the handling is unbelievable, you don't need to be tracking it to know and utilize the superior handling, i mean, maybe if you live in Manhattan you wouldn't, but if you live in suburban area...there's always places you can pull some g's.

Shoot, take it out Chuckwalla, or crap take a ride out to Palm Desert Via 74 and all that jazz, you'd love the 1LE there.

I've got 12K miles on my rubber, no problem yet. You are looking at $1200 - 1400 on a new set.
Electronic Diff on the 1LE, not on SS
The 1LE has a different Mag Ride tune than the SS with Mag Ride - 1LE being stiffer FE4 (1LE) vs. FE3 (SS)

"The new 1LE package for Camaro 1SS models includes magnetic ride control, with a new FE4 suspension tuning and a new, segment-exclusive electronic limited slip differential (eLSD). Paired with massive Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, lateral acceleration will exceed 1G. Additional features available on the 1LE package include standard Recaro seats and a Performance Data Recorder (PDR), new to the Camaro lineup."
Camaro SS 1LE
The 2017 Camaro SS 1LE introduces the new FE4 suspension to the Gen Six Camaro – a performance-oriented chassis system with specific tuning for the Magnetic Ride dampers, springs and stabilizer bars. Additional highlights include:

6.2L LT1 V-8 rated at 455 horsepower, and six-speed manual transmission (automatic transmission not available)
Magnetic Ride Control
Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
Unique forged aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front tires and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with a compound and construction developed exclusively for the Camaro – offering exceptional grip on the track
Brembo brakes with new six-piston monobloc front red calipers – featuring the 1LE logo – and two-piece rotors. Measuring 14.6 inches (370mm) in diameter, the front rotors are 7 percent larger than Camaro SS
Track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
Suede steering wheel with shorter-throw shifter

Dual mode exhaust system
Recaro front seats with aggressive bolsters optimized for shifting and steering comfort
Satin black hood, front mirrors and unique three-piece rear spoiler
Satin Graphite front splitter and rear diffuser
Available PDR video/data recording system.

https://www.gm.com/mol/m-2016-feb-cas-0210-camaro.html
Old 08-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Even in the SS 1LE, rear bushing deflection is an issue.

Although, I came into my SS 1LE from an F80 M3, which had the rear sub-frame hard mounted from the factory, so I was spoiled there.

I am having the ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings added to my car soon.

That is one area where anything short of a ZL1 1LE, you will need to do rear cradle bushings upgrades and maybe control arms to get that solid tight feel in the rear, especially if you care about canyon carving and quick transitions.

I love my 1LE and it has higher limits than the M3, with better damping from the shocks, but the 1LE moves around a lot more than the M3 in the rear, which requires a lot of small steering corrections to keep a line.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive View Post
.... I test drove a standard SS and like it quite a bit, except for the suspension seemed a bit soft for my taste (currently drive an FRS) and the brakes seemed inadequate.

Options
1. Just get the 1LE and be good to go. ...
I believe you answered your own question. Your test drive with a normal SS was close, but the 1LE clicks the whole package up a full notch.

Unless you wanted a new project, just get the 1LE and enjoy it straight away.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #7
SkiRideDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
biggest question will you actually be tracking it or just fun weekend canyon carver car?
Most likely canyons twice a month and three or four track days a year. My main concern with the 1LE, other than the added cost, is the tire bill. Historically I get far less mileage out of tires than forum members seem to think is the average. That has been one very big upside to my current FRS, the tire and brake pad bill is minimal.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
SkiRideDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Even in the SS 1LE, rear bushing deflection is an issue.

Although, I came into my SS 1LE from an F80 M3, which had the rear sub-frame hard mounted from the factory, so I was spoiled there.

I am having the ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings added to my car soon.

That is one area where anything short of a ZL1 1LE, you will need to do rear cradle bushings upgrades and maybe control arms to get that solid tight feel in the rear, especially if you care about canyon carving and quick transitions.

I love my 1LE and it has higher limits than the M3, with better damping from the shocks, but the 1LE moves around a lot more than the M3 in the rear, which requires a lot of small steering corrections to keep a line.
This is good information thanks. The single best mod I have done to my FRS is the subframe bushing inserts. 40 bucks and an hour of labor, transformed the car. Too bad whiteline doesn't seem to support the camaro6.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:04 PM   #9
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive View Post
Most likely canyons twice a month and three or four track days a year. My main concern with the 1LE, other than the added cost, is the tire bill. Historically I get far less mileage out of tires than forum members seem to think is the average. That has been one very big upside to my current FRS, the tire and brake pad bill is minimal.
The tires on the SS won't give you any more life. Mine lasted all of 9k miles with a couple trips down the tail of the dragon and normal use in the twisties of East TN back roads.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #10
IH8WNTR

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Silver Ice Metallic
I really liked the SS, but I really love my SS 1LE. It is on another level right out of the box.
IH8WNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:09 AM   #11
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
there is a noticable difference between the 2 packages for sure. the big question is are you going to push it hard enough to feel it, or need it. It's obvious the differences in handling, and I prefer the 1le setup for what I demand from my car occasionally. I can't comment on the electronic dif, but some say it's all the difference.

the 1le suspension is pretty phenomenal, but comparing an ss to a 1le, the biggest difference I felt, was tires. just putting the 1le sized meats on an ss made a big difference.

brakes, well this is subjective also. sure the 1le has the monsters, but I couldn't see the difference in stopping distance. What I *did* see was that the 1le brakes were more consistent and didn't start to fade near as quickly as the stock ss. So if you plan on doing several hard stops (think, track) or you plan on seriously putting some heat into the brakes, then perhaps the 1le is for you, otherwise you may want to rethink throwing the brakes into the equation.

as far as cooling and whatnot, the stock ss has the same cooling components as the 1le, it's just that they marketed it better with the 1le.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #12
SkiRideDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
The tires on the SS won't give you any more life. Mine lasted all of 9k miles with a couple trips down the tail of the dragon and normal use in the twisties of East TN back roads.
Good to know thank you.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #13
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
If you can swing the $$, just get the 1LE. You sound like you would appreciate the difference. Also, you will never have to wonder if you made a mistake.

Just skip a few meals a week to save for tires. The stockers are fabulous. Some guys get 12K miles or more. I corner aggressively on the road, don't track my car, and got 9,800 miles. OR, when worn out, replace the S3's with PS4S's for more mileage (hopefully), like I recently did.

Good luck.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #14
Crazed_1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
i think if you're going to start adding aftermarket handling bits to a SS, it might be worth it to stretch and get the 1LE. Obviously it's a quite pricey option, but it's definitely worth the cost.
Crazed_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote