#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #57
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Camaro View Post
I get that from some post above that the current HC is already pretty close on the straight and the HC gets a little 10HP upgrade so it's gonna be a little more powerfull. Not on the track of course but how many ZL1's are there on the track most of the time anyway majority of the time it will be on the fine straight roads of America.
Every magazine review I have read the ZL1 pulled the HellCat.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #58
Johnny Camaro

Drives: 13 ZL1vert,19 ZL1 vert A10 10/24/18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
It's a hyperbole but it's true. Pulleying the stock blower that's already at redline and produces too much heat would be a BIG NO NO. Owners can get away with it because they accept it will over heat even easier than it might already, but there's no way GM could get away with that. The increased bearing wear, engine wear and other characteristics that change even minutely would manifest themselves in the 250,000+ mile test mules, thousands of hours on the dyno, and tons of individual part and wear testing so that they have to spend as little money on warranty work, have as few of problems as possible in the first place, maximize profit, etc. So since the current 1740 blower wouldn't be an option, now you're talking a new blower which again NO WAY GM would bother to do, we're talking TONS of money, R&D, and testing all over again while we're midway through a cycle. No thank you. That's what Dodge does, wringing a car for 10+ MYs with minimal updating and upgrades. GM is not like that. They build a complete package, stand by it and sell it, and then build a whole new one a few years later.

LT5 you say? Yeah right LOL. When has GM ever put the top of the line Corvette engine in a Camaro mid generation especially. Besides that, the LT5 won't fit properly, it would require a whole re-workings of the electrical, fuel, front end, and probably even suspension and other work. Plus a taller hood which probably wouldn't pass regulation and back to the drawing board etc.

Mind you, this was if the ZL1 actually needed more power, which it doesn't. The Hellcat and GT350/R are NOT competitors for the ZL1. And by the time the GT500 comes out that may be a competitor, Gen 7 will probably be unveiled and soon available for purchase. Another year after that and the Gen 7 ZL1 will be out and game over again.

Yep you can bet they are. I bet Dodge is figuring out how to put wider flares on their wide body and a grille and taillight change and run the Challenger for another 5 years. Probably will put flares on the charger too. And they didn't change a thing on the new Hellcat, don't kid yourself. It was already a 740 HP motor and they're just calling it 717 now to give it the edge. The Red Eye won't be your everyday car and even so will only be marginally faster than a "regular" hellcat. Again, wait until there's the first turn and it's over.
Ok ok I agree on most of it I was just letting my mind go.
Last thing bc in mine '13 ZL1 the blower is just bought and not a GM product how about the one on the LT4 ? If so (last try lol) can't their manufacturer just come up with a new improved model ?? And the GM can def charge me the extra couple hundreds no problem the cooling has to be great since all the coolers and the higher blower in the first place right ?
I guy can still dream right bc seriously (especially bc I want a vert) I'm looking at a Lebanon Ohio Ford 800HP Whipple vert now for 63K with all the warranty on it, although I like the looks of the Camaro much more.
Johnny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:12 PM   #59
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
many threads on low HP complaints; they all seem the same: wehave the need more HP, why didn't gm put more camp, vs the total performance camp.

We know that the LT5 exists, which is just an LT4 with a larger sc? maybe we see it down the road in the Camaro.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:35 AM   #60
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
Trap Speed?? Winning is winning. Inch or by a mile brother.
Trap speed indicates which car would win in the 1/4 with all other things being equal (traction and launch). You have a car that runs low 12's but traps 130 mph, all you have to do is maximize grip to get the car to launch hard, and now you have a high 10 second car without having to touch the engine. That's what appeals to me. I'd take a low 12 second car that traps 130 mph over a mid 11 second car that traps 125. I'd rather modify wheels and tires than the engine. Again, that's me personally, I know it's different for everybody else.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #61
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Camaro doesnt need more HP. Its already the best all around out of the three. The GT500 will have to be something really special to out do the ZL1 1LE. It will take more than ponies alone.
I love my Hellcat, but it really doesnt compare to the ZL1 1LE or even the standard ZL1. It is however a fun daily driver that will scare the hell out of your riders if you so choose. I find it to be one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven which is nice on long trips.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #62
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Because the ZL1 out performs all the vehicles you mentioned. If you knew anything about the ZL1 or how GM relays their performance you may have a clue why I'm calling you a troll. Now please get your facts straight.

Quote:
@Aliveguy5.

Why ?? Is it that weird to ask for a power upgrade on a refreshed model ?? Almost every car model does that.
Mustang did, Challenger did, just get your facts straight in stead of typing troll that's just foolish.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #63
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
I'm all for maximum hp and numbers but imo just get a stock Zl1 and do minor bolt ons and a cam and you are there lol. Who cares abt a warranty? Tbh I sure as Hell don't. I buy these cars to flog and enjoy, not to Sunday drive and keep in the garage. The Lt engine line up is above par to Ford and Mopar (I'm not brand loyal) just stating facts. If 650 hp is not enough for you (it's not enlugh for me) Just mod and be happy.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #64
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Same here, but I kept my 04 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnovrit View Post
This comment makes me smile for a couple reasons. First is it is completely true. The ZL1 1LE is definitely ahead of the competition if looking at the big picture. The other part that also makes me laugh is the Ford guys comment. I have always been appreciative of all makes of muscle cars though I come from the mustang crowd. I sold my low mileage modified 03 Cobra to get the Camaro. It is very interesting being on both sides of the equation. I will say that after a lot of research, the camaro appears to better in most sections compared to the new mustangs. Neither is a bad choice but the camaro seams to just be better sorted. Just the view of a Ford guy that jumped ship and bought an awesome car.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #65
Johnny Camaro

Drives: 13 ZL1vert,19 ZL1 vert A10 10/24/18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
I'm all for maximum hp and numbers but imo just get a stock Zl1 and do minor bolt ons and a cam and you are there lol. Who cares abt a warranty? Tbh I sure as Hell don't. I buy these cars to flog and enjoy, not to Sunday drive and keep in the garage. The Lt engine line up is above par to Ford and Mopar (I'm not brand loyal) just stating facts. If 650 hp is not enough for you (it's not enlugh for me) Just mod and be happy.
That's what I'm saying but let GM do that and yes I drive mine and enjoy it every minute ( think one of the few '13 ZL1 vert with 87.000 miles !! on it) so that's why I like my warranty at least till the 36.000 lol.
It just must be ready out of the box for me I live in a small city where is not al lot of knowledge to tune these things, and I drive rather then sit in a shop waiting, proof --->> 87.000 miles lol.

I'm now looking at other cars just to keep up with future competition (fall) GM had to do that for me imo.
No I'm not brand loyal.
Johnny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #66
Blackdevil77

Quote:
That's what I'm saying but let GM do that and yes I drive mine and enjoy it every minute ( think one of the few '13 ZL1 vert with 87.000 miles !! on it) so that's why I like my warranty at least till the 36.000 lol.
It just must be ready out of the box for me I live in a small city where is not al lot of knowledge to tune these things, and I drive rather then sit in a shop waiting, proof --->> 87.000 miles lol.

I'm now looking at other cars just to keep up with future competition (fall) GM had to do that for me imo.
No I'm not brand loyal.
I'm the same way. Bolt ons, okay. I definitely don't want to do a cam. I don't want the engine taken apart, and I don't want any lope or chop, what so ever.

Saw this yesterday at a local car show and couldn't stop drooling. Best looking car ever. I just want this with 750 horsepower, is that so much to ask? lol
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #67
Thomp

Drives: 2018 Nightfall gray metallic ZL1
I wonder if something like this is in the works for us...

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...t-12677967.pdf
Thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #68
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Where does it all end?
When we all have 1000hp? 2000hp? more??

When is enough enough?

I'm surprised that the insurance companies haven't stepped in already to insist on a hp limit for street legal use

How many stories have we see/heard of people buying a new high hp car and immediately turn all the nannies off to enjoy the power and quickly ram into a tree.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy power myself, but I find that for me, the stock hp of my ZL1 is perfect at a mere 580hp.

Perhaps rather than continuously increasing the factory hp just to have more than the competition, concentrate more on making the entire package work together to optimize performance.

Stepping down now and putting the flame suit on.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #69
Chris Edwards

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Where does it all end?
When we all have 1000hp? 2000hp? more??

When is enough enough?

I'm surprised that the insurance companies haven't stepped in already to insist on a hp limit for street legal use

How many stories have we see/heard of people buying a new high hp car and immediately turn all the nannies off to enjoy the power and quickly ram into a tree.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy power myself, but I find that for me, the stock hp of my ZL1 is perfect at a mere 580hp.

Perhaps rather than continuously increasing the factory hp just to have more than the competition, concentrate more on making the entire package work together to optimize performance.

Stepping down now and putting the flame suit on.
Couldn't have said it better myself! In fact, how about they lower the factory power output by 50hp, and instead work on fixes for fogged up windshields, poorly fitting headliners and bumper covers, thin paint, and clunky suspension, among other things!!!
Chris Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:00 PM   #70
Blackdevil77

Sounds like I'm in the minority lol. When is it enough power? For me personally, I'd like to trap 130+ in the 1/4. Mid 130s preferably, but any consistent 13X would make me happy.