Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-16-2023, 07:20 AM   #15
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
the upper idler is a common failure and has been the problem for a few here. It caused the same issue on an '18 ZL1 A10 owned by Mojo Scott at VIR as well. He replaced the belt and it immediately shredded again due to the idler locking up. Double check it turns freely...it is the ribbed on directly below the supercharger snout.
I’m one of those that had it fail. This happened in 2018 after almost two years of ownership. The pulley started making a loud screeching noise out of the clear blue. Thank goodness I got it replaced before it locked up.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:43 AM   #16
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
the upper idler is a common failure and has been the problem for a few here. It caused the same issue on an '18 ZL1 A10 owned by Mojo Scott at VIR as well. He replaced the belt and it immediately shredded again due to the idler locking up. Double check it turns freely...it is the ribbed on directly below the supercharger snout.
Idler spins freely and is in good shape. I really don't know what caused this, but I'm thinking it's possible that one of the crankcase ventilation tube clips broke and made contact with the belt. Not sure if that's possible, but my latest theory.

Anyhow, she's running after the new thermostat, new belt and crankcase vent repair.
Attached Images

PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:23 AM   #17
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
I will inspect everything thoroughly tomorrow. Thanks!

I am also in the market for a trailer. Shame on me for not prioritizing that purchase.
I resemble that remark! Had a line on an aluminum Sundowner trailer in the pre-Covid era. I had a verbal agreement with the seller to pick it up on my way home from work the following day. Some SOB came out with the cash an hour or two ahead of me and snatched it up. Still kicking myself for not giving the seller a down-payment to hold the trailer. I thought I'd be safe for ~ 16 - 18 hrs. Fast forward to 2023 and that same trailer is over twice the price.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:59 AM   #18
BROCKgoFAST

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
This just happened to me yesterday at Sebring on track. Happened at about 125mph into a hard brake zone and i thought there was gravel on the track until i had 0 boost. On mine the idler/tensioner (I think that's what it is) literally must have exploded taking the belt with it. Luckily it didn't take anything else with it but the the black ring is gone and its just a bearing on a metal ring. Happened on my second session so I ended up losing the rest of the day.

Luckily I could limp it home. Going to call the dealer today to get it in for warranty ....after I wash it and make it look like a street car again haha
BROCKgoFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:20 AM   #19
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

After my fix, I went back out on track for another session. Car was solid for most of the sesion, but towards the end I got a "Car Overheating, Reduced Engine Power" message on the DIC and my coolant temp was pegged at 260. I immediately came into the pits, but within seconds of seeing that message everything normalized.

It was a false alarm. The car was not overheating or if it was, it rectified the situation in a matter of seconds (before I even came into the pits). At first I was thinking some type of coolant sensor or wiring was damaged when the belt shredded, but now I'm considering if it's related to the aftermarket Motorad thermostat I bought from O'Reilly's.

Anyway, the car drove perfectly fine on the 8 hour trip home last night.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 04-17-2023, 07:33 AM   #20
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

I'm thinking of going with this thermostat housing. I'm not too jazzed about running a 160 thermostat. Maybe I'll also grab a Lingenfelter 174 degree LS3 thermostat.

YouTube
Old 04-17-2023, 08:18 AM   #21
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Happened to me once with about 3500 miles on my car. Replaced with a Gates belt.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 08:30 AM   #22
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Quote:
After my fix, I went back out on track for another session. Car was solid for most of the sesion, but towards the end I got a "Car Overheating, Reduced Engine Power" message on the DIC and my coolant temp was pegged at 260. I immediately came into the pits, but within seconds of seeing that message everything normalized.

It was a false alarm. The car was not overheating or if it was, it rectified the situation in a matter of seconds (before I even came into the pits). At first I was thinking some type of coolant sensor or wiring was damaged when the belt shredded, but now I'm considering if it's related to the aftermarket Motorad thermostat I bought from O'Reilly's.

Anyway, the car drove perfectly fine on the 8 hour trip home last night.
Did you have to fill in new coolant? If so did you follow the pressurized purge process…
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 08:36 AM   #23
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
Did you have to fill in new coolant? If so did you follow the pressurized purge process…
I did have to add coolant. I followed the static fill procedure from the service manual. She took about 3/4 of a gallon. I assume most of the coolant that was lost was from the reservoir (through that broken bleed nipple).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Cooling System Draining & Filling (Static Fill).pdf (103.0 KB, 31 views)

YouTube
Old 04-17-2023, 08:37 AM   #24
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
Happened to me once with about 3500 miles on my car. Replaced with a Gates belt.
Did you do the RPM belt? Can you confirm the part number?

Was it your idler pulley like some other folks posted or simply a belt shred like me?

YouTube

Last edited by RamAir02; 04-17-2023 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 09:17 AM   #25
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Quote:
I did have to add coolant. I followed the static fill procedure from the service manual. She took about 3/4 of a gallon. I assume most of the coolant that was lost was from the reservoir (through that broken bleed nipple).
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:52 AM   #26
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Ok, have these parts on order. Hopefully this won't happen again.
Attached Images

YouTube
Old 04-17-2023, 11:19 AM   #27
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
So sorry this cut your track weekend short. It sucks having to drive all the way to VIR from NJ and now having to somehow limp your way back home. This is making me consider a trailer now!
Old 04-17-2023, 11:35 AM   #28
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Did you do the RPM belt? Can you confirm the part number?

Was it your idler pulley like some other folks posted or simply a belt shred like me?
It was a belt shred. No other damage. I do not have the part number handy.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote