Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #29
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Moral of the story...

DON'T DO THIS!

Just sent... don't want to offend anyone.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #30
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Synner uses even larger engineering geek terms than me. .
Thats cause I'm an architect but pretend to be a civil engineer for the Air Force. So I must make my statements aesthetically pleasing to the eye but who cares if they work, that's for engineers to figure out.

So I'm more of an uncivil moderately professional engineer. But blast physics I know, a little too well. LOL.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #31
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Cool!!

That's what I always loved about architects.

A: here is the rendering for the new building management wanted.

E: how the hell do I make this work?

A: not my problem, but it looks cool. See ya!

IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #32
Synner

Drives: cars
Then hire more military architects (only the AF and Navy have them). We have to maintain everyones turd of a project we inherited over 100 years of civil servant screw ups and constant renovations done by the lowest bidder so we care a lot. Pretty sure that's why my hair is falling out so much faster now.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #33
ttexxan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Hate to say this has been covered before....If in a crash hope the insurance people dont see...If so hope the person next to you of little importance. They look at the seat bolted in as a saftey feature....tampering with it in such a way could cause unwanted damage in case of accident. I think it looks cool, but would not hold up in court, insurance or an accident.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #34
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFrench View Post
Would there be anyway to lower the driver seat this way for us tall folk?
Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Thanks for posting; great idea. Tried to do it tonight but my Torx 40 was too small. Gotta get a bigger set of Torx bits. I wonder if maybe they changed stuff in the 2011s to a bigger one. Ah well, just another excuse to buy more tools!
Yeah, my bad it's Torx 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
Wouldn't it be "safer" if one was to buy 2 new bolts that were just a little longer before doing this... ?

I'd imagine you lost about 1/2 of the thread strength by backing it out that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
Oh lord do people complain just to complain? If the Torx bolt goes back into the mounting nut for as deep as the mounting nut is, you lose no strength! What would the difference be if the Torx sticks out from the bottom 3/4 of and inch vs 1/4? Nothing.

Quote:
I didn't notice the tapered section. He's totally right. Those CAN NOT be used to hold the seat down. Chance of failure would greatly increase of you were trying to use the taper section to mount the seat.

Synner uses even larger engineering geek terms than me. .

This bolt is REALLY long. Even after the spacer it still engages .505" of threads on a bolt that is .385" thick.

Don't worry, this isn't my first rodeo. I would hate to see you guy's reaction to the bolts that hold in 4th gen seats, those things were about half the thickness of these, and they didn't have any locating pins or anything.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #35
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
5'2" fiancé has always complained about the "too low" passenger seat that she can't see out of. Thanks for the DIY thread and the pics Sux.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #36
Berryp

Drives: 2011 Camaro Vert RS A6
SUX Thanks for the DIY always helpful......
Old 03-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #37
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I just replaced it with the power seat parts. Fully adjustable now and even goes lower. Girl friend is 5'2" and can raise it till her head hits the ceiling, and 6'7" coworker can lower it and have headroom to spare. About $550. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166968

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #38
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
My fiancee is 5'5, no problem seeing... She doesn't care if it feels really low, she doesn't need to see, she isn't driving.... Her words

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #39
montyhp

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Red Jewel w/Beige
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Thats cause I'm an architect but pretend to be a civil engineer for the Air Force. So I must make my statements aesthetically pleasing to the eye but who cares if they work, that's for engineers to figure out.

So I'm more of an uncivil moderately professional engineer. But blast physics I know, a little too well. LOL.
The Corps just built us a new building. They are more concerned about having it look good so they can win awards than having it be functional. Fortunately we are a laboratory full of engineers so we stood our ground and came up with a pretty nice building.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #40
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
Quote:
Ject... I am a civil professional engineer.

IF the nut holding the seat in (not the spacer nut)... Forget the bolt for now... If the nut has 8 threads, then you need 8 threads.

As Synner was saying, we have no clue how far the end of the bolt sticks out the bottom. If it sticks out more than the size of the spacer you put in, and the bolt can still get fully threaded (all 8) AND still sticks out the bottom, a longer bolt would not accomplish anything.

BUT... As Synner and I stated, the geometry of the bolt has changed. No denying that. Enough to make a difference? I didn't do the structural analysis on the bolt, the seat or the car.

Worst case, you get hit in the side and the bolt shears because you changed the force geometry and the seat flys out.... Willing to try it?

Oh, and if that happens and you kill your passenger, you better hope no one ever knows you modified the seat.

That's worst case....

I agree with the PE's responding. I could write a book on what could happen and why this is not a good idea without a structural analysis. The problem you will find is the amount of the fees for an actual analysis. To add, this to me would be risky for an engineer to sign off on. To much liability.

Think of it as a lever or a cheater bar/pipe that you would put on a socket wrench. The longer the lever the easier it is to turn or break something.

I would highly recommend not doing what is shown above. Sure it works, but in a collision.... possible failure.

FYI - A good off the wall engagement depth for threads is roughly 2 times the diameter of the bolt. However, required engagement depth will vary depending on the amount of threads per inch and thread pitch.

P.S.-I just thought of how you could get the analysis for free! Keep the spacer installed. <<----- (JUST KIDDING) If you get into a wreck and the seat flys out GM would be all over it. They wouldn't want to have the rumor of a possible recall etc., etc., etc... They would take everything down to the last nut and bolt to find out what happened.

Last edited by RADAR; 05-11-2012 at 10:58 PM.
RADAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #41
coloeb

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 6L50 automatic TF-3
Upgrade to the power seat from the factory. If the person sitting in the passenger seat is not worth the 550.00 upgrade, perhaps the better question would be " Why are they sitting in your car".
coloeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #42
Genious
Army EOD Tech

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloeb View Post
Upgrade to the power seat from the factory. If the person sitting in the passenger seat is not worth the 550.00 upgrade, perhaps the better question would be " Why are they sitting in your car".
Gas Money.