Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-01-2021, 10:26 PM   #1
Redwings1

Drives: 23 ZL1, 22 C8 Sold. 21 LT1 Sold
2021 LT-1 Brembo rear brake conversion

I just bought a 2021 LT-1. Brembo on the front, want to add them to the back. Does anybody make a kit to do the swap?
Redwings1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:38 AM   #2
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Yes. GM part number 84300395

Brandan
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandanK View Post
Yes. GM part number 84300395

Brandan
No, that kit is for the SS only. This has been gone over a few times on the forums already, see link below for one of the first threads on the topic. There's no direct swap kit because the park brake design is substantially different between the floating and fixed rear calipers. Designing around a park brake around that difference outside of OE testing is a pretty big risk that most aftermarket companies aren't going to take.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480579
Old 02-02-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
No, that kit is for the SS only. This has been gone over a few times on the forums already, see link below for one of the first threads on the topic. There's no direct swap kit because the park brake design is substantially different between the floating and fixed rear calipers. Designing around a park brake around that difference outside of OE testing is a pretty big risk that most aftermarket companies aren't going to take.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480579

The general consensus is no, unless you're willing to not have a parking brake. Then maybe. I haven't seen anyone do it though.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #5
BrandanK

Please excuse my ignorance; this part number is listed directly on the GM website as an approved accessory for the LT1 model. There is no indication to the general public that this is incorrect.

I believe you guys are referring to the 1LT model, which the original post states the LT1.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is the link from GM.
https://accessories.chevrolet.com/pr...tegoryId=98070

Brandan
Old 02-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandanK View Post
Please excuse my ignorance; this part number is listed directly on the GM website as an approved accessory for the LT1 model. There is no indication to the general public that this is incorrect.

I believe you guys are referring to the 1LT model, which the original post states the LT1.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is the link from GM.
https://accessories.chevrolet.com/pr...tegoryId=98070

Brandan

Interesting find, Brandan. Once the weather agrees, I'd be willing to put my LT1 up in the air and look through the instructions to help determine this kit actually applies to our car.

I do notice that if you look up the "84300395" part number on Ebay - all the listings only say it fits the SS.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #7
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
What rear brakes are on the LT1? Is it the same as the 2.0T and V6 models? If so, then it would have the same issues as those models.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
Chevy accessories could be totally wrong, but even the "View on Vehicle" link indicates this is an LT1 item:
Attached Images

NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #9
BrandanK

NotFast,
I will wait for Fosh and Alpha to reply, but I believe they might be confusing the LT1 and 1LT (V6 and I4).

If someone knows the RPO for the rear brakes on the SS, we could compare it to the RPO on our LT1 cars. I'll gladly do this if someone knows the SS RPO.

Regardless, GM states on their website that the 84300395 brake kit fits the LT1 model.

Brandan
Old 02-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #10
Alpha1BC

It's all good, sorry if I came off as too aggressive in the first post. It's the fault of the chevy accessories website. Other sites with that kit on it have it listed correctly as being for the SS (like https://www.shopchevyparts.com/perfo...-92296042.html) but for whatever reason the actual chevy site is wrong

I've reached out before to try to get this corrected but doesn't look like it got through, I'll try again though since I think someone else brought this up in a previous thread, too.

That being said, the LT1 uses the same rear calipers as the rest of the I4/V6 Camaros which has one park brake electric actuator on each caliper. The other V8 trims all use the drum-in-hat design which is one actuator attached to cables that actuate the shoes inside the hat. These two designs aren't compatible and require different stuff flashed to the controller as well as wiring re-work which most dealers won't help with. Outside of that the current options are to either disable or fake the EPB, both of which are highly unadvisable because the electric park brake on these cars is much smarter and more integrated than the manual park brakes of the past and will cause issues.

Also, the instructions on that kit are only for swapping calipers. No rotor or dust shield or anything else like that are listed so if anyone were to just buy that kit and follow the instructions on an LT1 the dust shield wouldn't fit and the rotor would be undersized for the caliper.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #11
Redwings1

Drives: 23 ZL1, 22 C8 Sold. 21 LT1 Sold
Damn. I thought this would be easy. Any other options for getting me red calipers to match the front? Thanks
Redwings1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:48 PM   #12
Alpha1BC

IMO best options are to paint/powdercoat the existing calipers or use caliper covers. Other than that to do it safely it's unfortunately a waiting game to see if anyone develops a spot caliper that works like the new Corvette has (i.e. separate caliper for the park brake).
Old 02-03-2021, 09:13 PM   #13
metal

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible
Damn, I just posted a thread about converting Corvette Z51 brakes onto an LT1.
Programming and wiring don't scare me, (especially after adding a PDR to my Z06)
I'd just like to do it or the hell of it.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:50 AM   #14
Alpha1BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal View Post
Damn, I just posted a thread about converting Corvette Z51 brakes onto an LT1.
Programming and wiring don't scare me, (especially after adding a PDR to my Z06)
I'd just like to do it or the hell of it.
The programming aspect isn't necessarily a "scared to do it" type thing, it's more of "finding resources to accomplish it" problem. It's significantly more involved than PDR since PDR isn't a safety-critical system and isn't integrated into the vehicle as a whole like the park brake is. You'd need to either find a dealer willing to do it (highly unlikely for a safety system) or have a contact at GM/the brake module supplier that has the tools/knowledge to flash the brake module and is willing to risk their job by doing so.

If you do have the ability to get over that hurdle, then it's just re-wiring for the brake control module and bolting on new caliper assemblies, jounce hoses, rotors, and dust shields. Might also need new hubs, knuckles, and rear subframe depending on if the offsets/dimensions/bracketry on the existing parts allow you to bolt the new brake parts on or not.