#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-03-2020, 06:47 AM   #1
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
1LE Track Question

Actually Ive got 2 of them

Keep in mind I wont be trailering the car to the track.

For those that have them and track them did you guys put the steering air diverters in? Those 4 plastic pieces?

Ill track mine about every 6 weeks once broken in and drive occasionally on the weekends for a weekend road trip kind of thing.

They say to remove them after track days but it doesn't seem practical and just wondering what others do. Id like to leave them installed. I know it may funnel water up into the electric steering was the concern.

Also whats the alignment from the factory? I haven't seen where it says how it was aligned at time of assembly.

Im going to go to the track with the factory alignment first as I dont plan on setting records and just go for fun really. I may consider leaving it and the camber adjustment in the factory settings, if I feel like I am where I want to be with lap times at my local track.

If not id change the camber and realign with recommended track specs.

One thing I noticed between the 1LE and my 18 non 1LE and just an observation of the differences in the two cars, is that when you adjust the drive modes the transmission changes as well. (in addition to the steering lights exhaust etc..) In track the transmission almost goes into an all out performance shift mode in the 1LE. My 18 didn't do that It changed the other settings but didn't seem to hold the gears as long when you were just street driving normally.

Thanks
Pat

Last edited by Snakebt6; 04-03-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:27 AM   #2
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
I'm just now at 1500 miles. I did an autox on street alignment and it tore up the outside of the 3Rs pretty good as expected. I'm going to put it in track alignment and leave it there before a real track day. I was also planning on leaving those extra pieces installed as well.

You have a copy of the track day prep guide right?
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
Snakebt6

I do yes.

I don't auto x but also had outside wear on my 18 ZL1 non 1LE after track events with the stock alignment.

Im sure its a trade off there between street and track alignment in terms of wear and performance. Ill stick with the stock alignment and camber for now and make a judgement after my first track day.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebt6 View Post
Actually Ive got 2 of them

Keep in mind I wont be trailering the car to the track.

For those that have them and track them did you guys put the steering air diverters in? Those 4 plastic pieces?

Ill track mine about every 6 weeks once broken in and drive occasionally on the weekends for a weekend road trip kind of thing.

They say to remove them after track days but it doesn't seem practical and just wondering what others do. Id like to leave them installed. I know it may funnel water up into the electric steering was the concern.

Also whats the alignment from the factory? I haven't seen where it says how it was aligned at time of assembly.

Im going to go to the track with the factory alignment first as I dont plan on setting records and just go for fun really. I may consider leaving it and the camber adjustment in the factory settings, if I feel like I am where I want to be with lap times at my local track.

If not id change the camber and realign with recommended track specs.

One thing I noticed between the 1LE and my 18 non 1LE is that when you adjust the drive modes the transmission changes as well. (in addition to the steering lights exhaust etc..) In track the transmission almost goes into an all out performance shift mode in the 1LE. My 18 didn't do that It changed the other settings but didn't seem to hold the gears as long when you were just street driving normally.

Thanks
Pat
Yes I did and I leave them on.

Get an alignment by a competent speed shop that specializes in road coarse cars and use the factory track specs.

Bolts are not reusable so have new bolts ready for the alignment.

I run the track alignment full time and use RACE mode on the track but I am an experienced advanced driver so start out in the mode you feel comfortable in based on your experience.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #5
Snakebt6

Confirmed. Thanks Ted
Old 04-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #6
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
Anyone running the track alignment on a ZL1 1LE for street use as well? Just curious on how tire wear is?
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
Anyone running the track alignment on a ZL1 1LE for street use as well? Just curious on how tire wear is?
Yes I do hard to say because I will wear out a set of tires every 4 track weekends.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:00 PM   #8
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Yes I do hard to say because I will wear out a set of tires every 4 track weekends.

Ted.
I gotcha. I heard the wear is pretty even, but just wanted to check with people who actually do it. Mines not a daily so it’s not like I would be putting a lot of miles on her like that.
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #9
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I keep my ZLE in track alignment always but it's not my daily, I only drive it for fun at the track and a few times a week up in the canyons in LA hills near my house. So far in 16 mos I'm averaging ~6000 miles/year, but most of it was in the first 9 mos because I couldn't stop driving it.

If you keep the alignment right, wear is not bad on streets and only the fronts are a real wear problem unless you do a lot of burnouts and that's on you.

Otherwise have the fronts flipped inside out every ~2k and they'll last a lot longer on street--on track the front 3Rs only last ~2-3 days, rears ~3-4 days.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #10
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
I leave my alignment in the track setting. i don't notice any uneven wear on the street. However, even with the track alignment I do wear the outside edges of the fronts on the track pretty badly.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #11
Snakebt6

Deleted
Old 04-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #12
arichards46

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I got into a little wet weather (just wet, not a deluge) on the fwy just after I got the car. Next day I went out and got another set of wheels/tires, with lots of tread, for the street. Factory Reproduction FR27 wheels and Nitto 555's. TW is 320. I kept the OEM wheels and tires for track only.

As a test, I tried the street alignment settings at the track. Predictably it was tearing the GY's up. I set the alignment at track settings and will leave it there. Not much driving on the street anyway and estimate, with much harder tires and swapping them side to side, should get pretty good mileage out of them.

FYI, at OEM track alignment settings, I'm getting +/- 5 track days out of the GY's. At my track that equals about 350 miles. Still need quite a bit more camber on the fronts though. Plan to go to -3.8 at the front and hope that will balance the wear a little better. The rear is at -1.9 and wear looks pretty good but I think I'll go up a tenth or so there too.
arichards46 is offline   Reply With Quote