Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-08-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
Teeth

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Real question: What is the towing capacity of a 2010 Camaro V8 L99

This is an actual question.

Could it tow a normal sized Uhaul trailer?
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:37 PM   #2
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
Normal sized U-haul trailer? What's a normal sized?

I'd say it could (power wise), however 1) does anyone actually make a hitch receiver for our cars?, 2) you'd have to either cut a hole in the bumper cover, or take it off to tow.

However, the answer to your question is yes, it does have the power to tow a U-haul trailer.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #3
Teeth

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15RS2NV View Post
Normal sized U-haul trailer? What's a normal sized?

I'd say it could (power wise), however 1) does anyone actually make a hitch receiver for our cars?, 2) you'd have to either cut a hole in the bumper cover, or take it off to tow.

However, the answer to your question is yes, it does have the power to tow a U-haul trailer.
Something like this?

I was thinking it could totally tow a Uhaul trailer, it has the weight and power.
Attached Images

Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #4
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
Oh yeah! definitely has the power. As to the two points i had mentioned, that would be the only thing.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:14 AM   #5
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139220

I think post #5 has the info you're looking for.
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
The manual states tow capacity is 1,000 lbs, and remember that includes the trailer. A small u-haul enclosed trailer (4x8) weighs 850 lbs, leaving you with 150 lbs for cargo. Probably less than if you'd just put something in the trunk.

Tow ratings aren't just about the power to the pull the trailer. It's about the vehicle's ability to safely control and withstand the extra weight on the tow vehicle's suspension, the forces generated on the tow vehicle by braking, etc. As well as the ability of the two vehicle to steer and stop the trailer at speeds and on grades.

While the Camaro's engine, cooling, and brakes are (probably) up to the task of a pretty heavy trailer, I would suspect the load limits for the rear suspension and GAWR (how much weight the axle can take) are likely limiting factors and the structural components aren't designed for the jarring of a trailer under heavy braking.

Even ignoring the physical limitations, legal concerns if you exceed the GCWR advised by the manufacturer and then end up in a serious crash could result in some court issues. Normally it's only an issue for commercial drivers (and the perceived deep pockets of their employers) but if you seriously injure or kill it could become your problem as well. Especially in civil court were it could be used as part of the narrative that you were reckless.

Rent a truck.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
It's not worth tearing up a Camaro to put a hitch in. Just rent a Uhaul truck instead of a trailer and call it a day. The suspension is not made for that kind of extra weight. Every bump you hit will push down on the rear axle. With the short wheel base of a Camaro it will lift up on the front end. The heavier you go the more dangerous that gets.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
OP, I think this is what you need to do before you start towing with your Camaro.Your Camaro towing solution
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Per the Owner's Manual:

Weight of the Trailer
How heavy can a trailer safely be?
It should never weigh more than
454 kg (1,000 lbs). But even that
can be too heavy.

For more detailed information, refer to chapter 9 in the Owner's Manual.