Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
How long did it take you to get used to the stock HP?

I hate to say it, but after 1.5 months, I’m starting to get used to the power. Don’t get me wrong, lovin’ it way better than what the SS had, it’s just starting to feel “OK”.

It’s going to be a loooong few years before I can start throwing serious mods at it.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
What do you mean used to? Like throwing it around a track? Everyday driving with the occasional punch on an open highway?

I think it took me a few weeks before I was comfortable just gunning it whenever. Despite how intense it feels the car is incredibly well behaved compared to just about any other American sportscar. Sometimes I forget just how fast it is until I have a passenger clutching for dear life when I hit it.

I can't wait to mod it. It still feels fast, but I don't have the time warping intensity that I used to anymore. I plan to mod my car to 700whp, then 900whp within the next year or so.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Above about 25 mph and I am fine with getting on the car and enjoying it. Below 25? Not a chance in hell. Traction just doesn’t exist. Have no ideas how owners can handle even more power from a standing stop unless they have street slicks on and the tires are warm and sticky.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
It's a fun car to drive for sure but, because it's so composed, it doesn't feel scary fast. In an old school car that runs as quick as these, you would have a better sense of the acceleration.
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
Jerry300zx

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I have a A10 and can say its the fastest thing I ever driven. Way over powered for public roads. I don't see any reason to make it faster and void the warranty. Unless I lived near Mexico or do drag racing which I most likely won't do. I just enjoy driving a well engineered machine and thats exactly what this car is.
Jerry300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
What do you mean used to? Like throwing it around a track? Everyday driving with the occasional punch on an open highway?

I think it took me a few weeks before I was comfortable just gunning it whenever. Despite how intense it feels the car is incredibly well behaved compared to just about any other American sportscar. Sometimes I forget just how fast it is until I have a passenger clutching for dear life when I hit it.

I can't wait to mod it. It still feels fast, but I don't have the time warping intensity that I used to anymore. I plan to mod my car to 700whp, then 900whp within the next year or so.
Just the occasional wallz n ballz tryst.

It’s been 15yrs since I had a 9sec. car. Before that it was several years with a 10sec one. To be honest, this one is way squirrelier than my prior ones, but I had the suspension set-up to launch straight. They would roast them, but track straight as an arrow on the street. This thing is left to right back to left, then right again as the traction control goes off & on again.

Maybe there are suspension tricks I’m not familiar with on these IRS’s to make them track straighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry300zx View Post
I have a A10 and can say its the fastest thing I ever driven. Way over powered for public roads. I don't see any reason to make it faster and void the warranty. Unless I lived near Mexico or do drag racing which I most likely won't do. I just enjoy driving a well engineered machine and thats exactly what this car is.
I desire more power, but the warranty is the main reason I’m not. I hear you on the rest.

I would say this is about my minimum power/weight & why I really wanted the change.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #7
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
This thing is left to right back to left, then right again as the traction control goes off & on again.

Maybe there are suspension tricks I’m not familiar with on these IRS’s to make them track straighter.
Maybe an alignment and better tires are in order. I do live in Houston so it's usually pretty warm on the road, but the sway it gives on cold tires is pretty minor in my opinion. Which launch control it's very steady especially after a good tire roasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I desire more power, but the warranty is the main reason I’m not. I hear you on the rest.

I would say this is about my minimum power/weight & why I really wanted the change.
I'm of the opinion if doesn't break by 20k miles it's probably good in the long run. Though the need for speed has made me throw caution to the wind as far as the warranty is concerned.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
If you're like me and love power, you'll always get used to it within a month or two. I have 1174rwhp/1009rwtq and to me it's just, "This is how my car feels." every time I drive it. No "wow" factor anymore. Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely love it, I'm just used to it.
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:39 PM   #9
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Maybe an alignment and better tires are in order. I do live in Houston so it's usually pretty warm on the road, but the sway it gives on cold tires is pretty minor in my opinion. Which launch control it's very steady especially after a good tire roasting

I'm of the opinion if doesn't break by 20k miles it's probably good in the long run. Though the need for speed has made me throw caution to the wind as far as the warranty is concerned.
Today it was 75 & I drove about 30 min before laying into it. At 50mph it felt like usual.

I could have thrust angle checked, but other than that...

20K will take me like 6yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Carbon View Post
If you're like me and love power, you'll always get used to it within a month or two. I have 1174rwhp/1009rwtq and to me it's just, "This is how my car feels." every time I drive it. No "wow" factor anymore. Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely love it, I'm just used to it.
Thruth!

That’s the way it’s been for decades.

I remember my dad’s 69 427 El Camino when I was a youngster.

Then a ride in an 89 GT when I was about 13. Absolutely loved it.

Built my first 377 for my 66 Nova when I was 16.

From then on it was a constant need for speed.

I’ve loved your progression since I joined. Parish was another one along with King & several others.

Twin turbos is my ultimate goal.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:55 PM   #10
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Do the guys who feel the power is not very exciting anymore experience this mostly in a straight line, or is this also true on twisty roads? I do most of my ZLE driving in turns, either canyons behind my house or several tracks nearby in Southern California.

On these canyons and tracks, even the faster tracks like Auto Club Speedway, this car has more than enough power, the challenge is learning to drive the car effectively and keep it on the road :-) With a good driver it can easily set event leading lap times.

More power would not help exiting turns in 2nd and 3rd gear, but it would be fun on long straights. I doubt I’ll mod it, but if I do it would be maybe 750 whp max with a Katech 2650 package, anything more would be overkill (and overheat) for me on the track and canyons.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:31 PM   #11
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Well I definitely don't track so mostly dig/drag/roll racing. I do like hitting the backroads though so I don't want to go too crazy on power nor use radials. The handling is a constant good experience for me. I love how this car feels everywhere in driving. If you've never pushed your car through a turn hard enough to activate performance shifting you're missing out.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:04 AM   #12
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Well I definitely don't track so mostly dig/drag/roll racing. I do like hitting the backroads though so I don't want to go too crazy on power nor use radials. The handling is a constant good experience for me. I love how this car feels everywhere in driving. If you've never pushed your car through a turn hard enough to activate performance shifting you're missing out.
You live in TX, my understanding is they have some good circuits there but I only know about COTA. if you have one nearby there is no reason not to take your ZL1 there 1-2x per year. This is where the car shines and you can experience it’s full potential without breaking the law and putting other lives in danger.

You will not believe how different and thrilling it is to open it up above 7/10s on a circuit, like flying a fighter plane in combat vs. cruising fast between airports. Put some GY3Rs on a hot track and you’ll be amazed at the grip.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:07 AM   #13
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Do the guys who feel the power is not very exciting anymore experience this mostly in a straight line, or is this also true on twisty roads? I do most of my ZLE driving in turns, either canyons behind my house or several tracks nearby in Southern California.

On these canyons and tracks, even the faster tracks like Auto Club Speedway, this car has more than enough power, the challenge is learning to drive the car effectively and keep it on the road :-) With a good driver it can easily set event leading lap times.

More power would not help exiting turns in 2nd and 3rd gear, but it would be fun on long straights. I doubt I’ll mod it, but if I do it would be maybe 750 whp max with a Katech 2650 package, anything more would be overkill (and overheat) for me on the track and canyons.
I get what you are saying, totally understand, but very few of us will ever visit a road course, even though I’d like to, but having quick burst fun every now & then can be much more alluring than focusing on long laps over & over.

I quite enjoy the handling capabilities & don’t want to alter that, but straight line acceleration is in my blood.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:16 AM   #14
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
You live in TX, my understanding is they have some good circuits there but I only know about COTA. if you have one nearby there is no reason not to take your ZL1 there 1-2x per year. This is where the car shines and you can experience it’s full potential without breaking the law and putting other lives in danger.

You will not believe how different and thrilling it is to open it up above 7/10s on a circuit, like flying a fighter plane in combat vs. cruising fast between airports. Put some GY3Rs on a hot track and you’ll be amazed at the grip.
Closest road course to me is 4hrs away & I just don’t have the time.

Love the handling like I never thought I would’ve before owning an SS. I thought my GTO wasn’t bad, but these Gen 6’s are on a whole other level, especially after getting behind the wheel of this ZL1.

Yet, today, I have to admit what I have in a straight line is fine for now, but I am working on a plan for something unique.