Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #7827
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I own three of these four cars so I can tell you my experience.

The C8 feels the most confident when pushing hard through turns, its low center of gravity and mid engine make the car feel really planted, just point the front of the car where you want to go and it goes there. It lacks a little power compared to the Hellcat and even the ZL1 to some degree, a 600+hp C8 should perform very well.

The Hellcat doesn't feel like a huge car until you've driven something smaller, lighter and more nimble. In fact, the Hellcat handles far better than a 4400+lb car should and it stops well too. Where the Hellcat really shines is comfort, its roomy on the inside for all 4 passengers, trunk space is huge, and its great for taking on long trips. When it comes to drag racing, this is the best platform of the three. Not only did Dodge give you a good size blower to work with, but port injection makes it easy to add E85 or more boost without running out of fuel. Its just a Helluva a lot cheaper to make a Hellcat go in the 9's in the 1/4 than a C8 or ZL1. Once I got my ZL1, driving the Hellcat feels like a big heavy car. I can see now why people call them boats. You don't realize it until you drive something else and then get into the Hellcat, that being said, it doesn't take any of the fun or charm away from the Hellcat, its an experience like no other and always puts a big grin on your face when your smashing the throttle.

That brings me to the ZL1, the numbers say this car actually handles slightly better than a C8, that might be true but it doesn't feel like its quite as easy to throw around as the C8 but that doesn't mean its lacking either. It feels heavier than the C8 and more upright. Since this car has a blower its easier to make it quicker than the C8 for drag racing but not as easy as the Hellcat. I feel like the ZL1 is a good cross between a Hellcat and C8 in performance.
Great post. I would say, by reading your post - even though weight isn't initially noticed, once in a lighter platform, it became clear to you that the lighter car handles the best, followed by the next lightest car, with the heaviest coming in last.

Pretty much the issue SP found with the GT500 - heavy track car with special compound tires that do not last more than a single day.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #7828
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
I only own 1 of these cars in this thread title (although I still have my SS) and I can only speak for the C8 and as a drag racer. My car feels like a touring car first and foremost, it is as smooth as a baby's ass in just about every aspect. Just putting the NA C8 in the conversation with boosted cars making 200 more horsepower is impressive in its own right. I do agree that say, getting a 9 second timeslip is much easier in the other vehicles, but I've managed to get into the mid 10's bolt on without any tuning support.
All great cars and its a great time to be in the heat of the horsepower wars. While I feel something like the GT500 and the Redeye are sledgehammers, the C8 feels like a scalpel. Best part is....track times almost equal its street times. You may catch a Reebok/jorts wearing boomer at a red light and take him, but the right car with the right driver and you may get your feelings hurt. My SS is pretty rowdy and I honestly can't say which street beast would be quicker, maybe I'll put that to the test. Timeslip of a pass I made last week in the Corvette.Name:  20201106_183120.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  151.3 KB
Old 11-13-2020, 11:37 AM   #7829
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Snowblind, that's an awesome C8 pass! What are your mods?
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #7830
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Snowblind, that's an awesome C8 pass! What are your mods?
Thanks. I'm not a click seeking Youtuber but this was the only way to upload it on the C8 forum. Mods are in the walk around and in the description.

https://youtu.be/mkSo6KwdUAc
Old 11-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #7831
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Thanks. I'm not a click seeking Youtuber but this was the only way to upload it on the C8 forum. Mods are in the walk around and in the description.

https://youtu.be/mkSo6KwdUAc
Nice run! 0-60 in 2.45!

And a nice 60’.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #7832
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I know a few of you(Blaq) have both. If you had to choose one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I own three of these four cars so I can tell you my experience.

The C8 feels the most confident when pushing hard through turns, its low center of gravity and mid engine make the car feel really planted, just point the front of the car where you want to go and it goes there. It lacks a little power compared to the Hellcat and even the ZL1 to some degree, a 600+hp C8 should perform very well.

The Hellcat doesn't feel like a huge car until you've driven something smaller, lighter and more nimble. In fact, the Hellcat handles far better than a 4400+lb car should and it stops well too. Where the Hellcat really shines is comfort, its roomy on the inside for all 4 passengers, trunk space is huge, and its great for taking on long trips. When it comes to drag racing, this is the best platform of the three. Not only did Dodge give you a good size blower to work with, but port injection makes it easy to add E85 or more boost without running out of fuel. Its just a Helluva a lot cheaper to make a Hellcat go in the 9's in the 1/4 than a C8 or ZL1. Once I got my ZL1, driving the Hellcat feels like a big heavy car. I can see now why people call them boats. You don't realize it until you drive something else and then get into the Hellcat, that being said, it doesn't take any of the fun or charm away from the Hellcat, its an experience like no other and always puts a big grin on your face when your smashing the throttle.

That brings me to the ZL1, the numbers say this car actually handles slightly better than a C8, that might be true but it doesn't feel like its quite as easy to throw around as the C8 but that doesn't mean its lacking either. It feels heavier than the C8 and more upright. Since this car has a blower its easier to make it quicker than the C8 for drag racing but not as easy as the Hellcat. I feel like the ZL1 is a good cross between a Hellcat and C8 in performance.
Although I only have 2 of these cars since GM thought it was better to make sure YTers got theirs first...still mad about that...I digress...my thoughts on the HC and the ZL1 mirror the above comments.

But...from a modder standpoint, the HC can make much more power much cheaper and safer and on the stock blower. In fact we can get into the 900s on the stock blower. My goals for the HC and ZL1 are to get them as close to 1000 RWHP as possible!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #7833
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Haven't had much VS topics to discuss, things sorta died down after the GT500 came out things seemed to fizzle.

Back to comparisons though........I never thought I would say this, but the widebody hellcat challenger is really growing on me and I haven't even test driven one yet. It just makes such glorious sounds and seems great for a DD, with incentives and lease offers being out of this world.

I am about a year away, and stuck between three cars. Challenger Hellcat WB M6, ZL1 M6, or the most practical decision financially speaking is an SS 1LE.

Car will likely rarely see the track, I just like my cars very sorted even if I dont drive them aggressively. Roads here aren't great either, but I will also have an SUV so Im not sure that matters.

I know a few of you(Blaq) have both. If you had to choose one?
I noticed no Mustangs were on that list. Any particular reason why? The Mustang GT PP1 w/ MagneRide is very balanced - maybe not as good a handler as the SS 1LE, but still very good IMO. And with the A10 it's pretty fast/quick with the Gen 3 Coyote and 460 hp. I have a friend with a '19 GT350 and while it's quicker around a track, I have no problem keeping up on twisty roads at sane but fun speeds. PP1 w/ MagneRide is certainly a much better handling car than the Challenger Hellcat. Just food for thought..

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #7834
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
I noticed no Mustangs were on that list. Any particular reason why? The Mustang GT PP1 w/ MagneRide is very balanced - maybe not as good a handler as the SS 1LE, but still very good IMO. And with the A10 it's pretty fast/quick with the Gen 3 Coyote and 460 hp. I have a friend with a '19 GT350 and while it's quicker around a track, I have no problem keeping up on twisty roads at sane but fun speeds. PP1 w/ MagneRide is certainly a much better handling car than the Challenger Hellcat. Just food for thought..
Of the cars on his list the GT PP1 or even the GT PP2 would be no match and clearly outgunned. Each of those cars, in one way or another, are a step ahead of the GTs. And as ironic as this might sound, I'm probably the only one here who would even consider a GT. Most of us recognize or feel that the S550 Mustang is either a flop or severely overpriced. And I doubt anyone looking for or considering a ZL1 or Hellcat would have "GT PP1" on that same list.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #7835
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Of the cars on his list the GT PP1 or even the GT PP2 would be no match and clearly outgunned. Each of those cars, in one way or another, are a step ahead of the GTs. And as ironic as this might sound, I'm probably the only one here who would even consider a GT. Most of us recognize or feel that the S550 Mustang is either a flop or severely overpriced. And I doubt anyone looking for or considering a ZL1 or Hellcat would have "GT PP1" on that same list.
He said he likes his cars well sorted - I was surprised he mentioned the Challenger Hellcat in there without some kind of Mustang representative hence why I was asking "why no Mustang". The GT PP1 w/ MagneRide is a well sorted car (as I admitted not to SS 1LE level) - and will leave a Hellcat in the dust around turns. He also mentioned the SS 1LE as a potential option, and the PP1 w/ A10 is quicker in a straight line, so I got the impression he wasn't simply looking for massive hp only.

The Challenger Hellcat was on my list when I was looking at cars a couple of years ago. The Hellcat is so big and heavy it can't really put the power down on the street, and while it can lateral grip with the widebody package in a consistent turn, once you start tossing the car back and forth the huge weight transfer and high center of gravity is problematic. 4500+ lbs with 57% of it on the front tires isn't a recipe for RWD traction on the street, either.

If GT PP1 isn't enough, the 2019 and 2020 GT350s are an obvious upgrade. Quicker than a Coyote Gen 3 M6 GT by several mph in the 1/4 mile, better handling, and they stand out at every Cars and Coffee - even the non R 2019 my friend has gets a lot of pics at every Cars and Coffee event.

Like I said, just food for thought.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #7836
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
He said he likes his cars well sorted - I was surprised he mentioned the Challenger Hellcat in there without some kind of Mustang representative hence why I was asking "why no Mustang". The GT PP1 w/ MagneRide is a well sorted car (as I admitted not to SS 1LE level) - and will leave a Hellcat in the dust around turns. He also mentioned the SS 1LE as a potential option, and the PP1 w/ A10 is quicker in a straight line, so I got the impression he wasn't simply looking for massive hp only.
Careful there. Some of the more hardcore Hellcat guys who also go to the track have managed to beat Corvettes around the track. Granted, they were not Z06s. But I think a few of them managed to outrun the C7 Z51s. Plus there are suspension mods to improve the handling of a Hellcat. And not for nothing, like I said, the PP1 GT is horribly mismatched against any of these cars and doesn't deserve to be on this list. If you said a GT350, then at the right price I would probably agree. But again, I doubt anyone here besides myself would have any interest in a GT PP1. Sorry, I know you're hardcore about the Mustangs. But it is not a desirable car around here.

Quote:
The Challenger Hellcat was on my list when I was looking at cars a couple of years ago. The Hellcat is so big and heavy it can't really put the power down on the street, and while it can lateral grip with the widebody package in a consistent turn, once you start tossing the car back and forth the huge weight transfer and high center of gravity is problematic. 4500+ lbs with 57% of it on the front tires isn't a recipe for RWD traction on the street, either.
Actually, I think you read a few too many reports without driving a Hellcat to see for yourself. Mine is 766 RWHP and I am on some cheap-ass tires. I drive in all conditions, even snow. On dry ground it might be true that you can't launch it at 4000 RPMs on street tires. But trust me, it gets power down sufficiently if you know what you're doing. An idiot who just mashes the pedal isn't going to get too far. Even in rain I can do some pretty decent take offs and it'll handle 80+ MPH very well. So yes it does put the power down on the street. And mine is a manual trans. Pretty soon I'll be in the 900+ RWHP range. I'll let you know how that works out.

In contrast, due to the gearing, the PP1 Mustangs are actually very difficult to get power down effectively and that is only at 435 HP. I test drove a 16 GT PP1 back in 2016 before I bought my 15 GT Premium and that thing just spun. Even my 15, at the track I ran the most horrible times I ever ran because all it did was spin. Mind you, I was running high 12s in my SS at that same time. Both were M6 trans. So I don't really think you can call out any car for traction issues if you're promoting a Mustang. Especially since those cars are pretty notorious for running off the road.

Quote:
If GT PP1 isn't enough, the 2019 and 2020 GT350s are an obvious upgrade. Quicker than a Coyote Gen 3 M6 GT by several mph in the 1/4 mile, better handling, and they stand out at every Cars and Coffee - even the non R 2019 my friend has gets a lot of pics at every Cars and Coffee event.

AGain, in his list of cars, I doubt he would be interested in a GT350. I could be wrong and I would love to hear his take. But there doesn't seem to be much interest in any of the Mustang variants around here. Not for the price they go for when you factor in the lack of features as compared to the competition. Most likely because Mustangs have the poorest performance/dollar value right now.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #7837
shogun37

Drives: none
Quote:
I noticed no Mustangs were on that list. Any particular reason why? The Mustang GT PP1 w/ MagneRide is very balanced - maybe not as good a handler as the SS 1LE, but still very good IMO.
There's no "maybe" about it.
shogun37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #7838
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun37 View Post
There's no "maybe" about it.
Lol... the a10 pp1 is a fun street car, but handling wise it leaves a lot to be desired... look at the throttle house's lap times of the a10 pp1. The m6 pp1 is probably a better track car in capable hands I'd imagine due to weight and a10 calibration.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 11-16-2020 at 10:12 AM.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #7839
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

What are you a Mustang sales man? lol.. maybe he's just not into the look or something idk.

I think if considering cheap mod-ability for a fun street car or straight line car a 5.0 should definately be taken into consideration unless you just don't like mustangs. Quite possibly the cheapest car of the bunch to mod besides not having a blower already. It's no secret that gen 2 and 3 5.0s are beasts under boost. Main liability would be that mt82.

Unless you're talking about a pp2(maybe), mach1, or gt350, an s550 GT doesn't compare to the ss 1le or even ss overall in stock trim especially m6 to m6, and it seems he's pretty much only considering m6 cars in which case mentioning the a10 pp1 is completely pointless and irrelevant. M6 to m6 the pp1 loses to the ss 1le in every category including quickness.

If he were to consider an a10 the newer 2021 ss 1le's will be offered in an a10 with the zl1 2.85 rear end, jury is still out on which one will be quicker then but it should be noted my ss 1le's have done the 1/4 in 12.3 as noted by major publishers. As of now, the a10 GT is a little quicker than the a10 ss according to the publishers but it just depends if a tenth in the 1/4 is of any importance to him and enough to justify the other performance trade offs.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 11-16-2020 at 10:21 AM.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #7840
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
We had a '17 PP1 GT M6. It was not even remotely up to track duty stock.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote