Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-25-2021, 10:36 PM   #1
Dankmeme

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 1lt
Angry MRT V2 Horrific drone. Solutions?

Hey guys i just installed the mrt v2 on my v6 camaro a few days ago. I researched and asked around the forums about the drone and i was told that it was very minimal. It is absolutely not and is truly annoying unless you are consistently playing music to avoid its sound. I paid $600 for this thing and although the sound is aggressive and beautiful. That drone just kills the vibe for me. So now i am looking for a solution that will not break the bank. I keep seeing resonated x pipe or j pipes. The resonated x pipe i hear lowers the overall sound of the exhaust which just makes me feel like i wasted that $600. As for the J pipes. How do they work and does it FULLY eliminate the drone. I want honest answers, at around 2000 rpm its horrendous so i do not want to install j pipes than have someone tell me it sounds “minimal” i want it either gone or so low to the point where its as if the cars stock so please let me know
Old 01-25-2021, 11:44 PM   #2
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
I'd be mad too. Cheapest solution I can think of is to put your old exhaust on. 2nd cheapest would be to buy some cheap mufflers at an auto parts store.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:27 AM   #3
SSJ2

Drives: 2010 2SS CAMARO
I have long tubes, straight pipes and muffler deletes and the drone between 1800-2000 was pretty bad. After research I decided to give jpipes a try. Finally found an exhaust shop to put them on and they took care of any drone I had. It's still pretty loud but at least the drone is gone.
BBK Long tube headers, Hi flo cats, straight pipe muffler delete with j-pipes. K+N CAI, Soler Performance Ported Throttle Body, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Phantom Grill, MGW flatstick shifter. 3.91 Gears, Ported Rod Mod Intake, ZTA Spoiler, Rohana RC22 20x10 20x11.
SSJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:39 AM   #4
Dankmeme

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 1lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ2 View Post
I have long tubes, straight pipes and muffler deletes and the drone between 1800-2000 was pretty bad. After research I decided to give jpipes a try. Finally found an exhaust shop to put them on and they took care of any drone I had. It's still pretty loud but at least the drone is gone.
The drone as in the in cabin sound. I know straight piping is crazy loud, i wanted something just a little bit above stock, i love the sound of the mrt so id like to keep that but i want that horrific drone gone. So my question is, it still sounds like its droning even after the j pipes? And how much did it run you
Old 01-26-2021, 05:54 AM   #5
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
J-pipes will get rid of almost all of the drone. I can say from personal experience because I had them installed on my previous exhaust which also had quite a bit of drone - not sure how much compared to the MRT V2, but it was pretty heavy, like almost nauseating - the j-pipes reduced the drone by +90% I'd say. If you purchase the Solo j-pipes, they are adjustable in length so that you can "tune" them to your specific exhaust.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:13 AM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I’m always a little perplexed at these posts. People modify the exhaust - almost exclusively to raise the bark, bite and decibels and then complain of noise or drone. With all due respect, if you’re looking for cabin quietness, keep it stock, as a lot of engineering went into lowering the interior noise level. Or you could buy a Prius or Tesla. I hear they’re quiet.

Short of that, do what I do when I hit an unpleasant drone rpm...downshift one gear!
Old 01-26-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
SSJ2

Drives: 2010 2SS CAMARO
Mine are adjustable as well.

Name:  IMG_0373 RESIZED.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  47.2 KB
BBK Long tube headers, Hi flo cats, straight pipe muffler delete with j-pipes. K+N CAI, Soler Performance Ported Throttle Body, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Phantom Grill, MGW flatstick shifter. 3.91 Gears, Ported Rod Mod Intake, ZTA Spoiler, Rohana RC22 20x10 20x11.
SSJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #8
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Corsa Extreme. Zero drone. But you will get the occasional ear bleed lol.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:35 AM   #9
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
What is drone and when does it occur?
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #10
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
What is drone and when does it occur?
It’s a resonant LOW frequency hum heard and almost felt in the cabin. It occurs when you screw with the factory exhaust.

Typically at cruising speed around the 2K rpm range. Maybe a little lower.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I’m always a little perplexed at these posts. People modify the exhaust - almost exclusively to raise the bark, bite and decibels and then complain of noise or drone. With all due respect, if you’re looking for cabin quietness, keep it stock, as a lot of engineering went into lowering the interior noise level. Or you could buy a Prius or Tesla. I hear they’re quiet.

Short of that, do what I do when I hit an unpleasant drone rpm...downshift one gear!
Well said, and that is exactly what I do!!!
Old 01-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Corsa Extreme. Zero drone. But you will get the occasional ear bleed lol.
lol, mine was supposed to go on last week, but plumbing problems here at the house canceled that, scheduled for this Friday!! Oh boy!! Again. lol
Old 01-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #13
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post

2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:04 AM   #14
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
But did it make an extra 100 HP?

Put the stock exhaust back on.

OP has a six banger. Lesson is don't futz with the exhaust on a six unless you like the tractor-humped-a-ricer-and-gave- birth result. American made six cylinder cars will always sound like crap and have zero HP gains. GM did a lot of engineering to get it to sound as good as it does stock. Or maybe its just my old guy ears but i'm thinking not.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote