#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Ford killing off most cars by 2020!

Ford is killing off all cars except the Mustang and new Focus crossover by 2020. Will narrow product line to only SUVs and trucks besides those two.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-will-phase...ica-1825544784

This supports the idea that cars are selling slow and not as profitable as more people buy SUVs
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Ford to drop sedans from lineup

I was just logging out of my hotmail account and I saw where Ford is going to no longer make cars/sedans instead switch towards SUV's/crossovers with the exception of Mustang and some version of the Focus. Crazy to think about traditional cars disappearing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...Wz8?li=BBnb7Kz
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
I don't think SUV's are to credit here. They are expensive vehicles, sure they're booming but many people don't have that kind of money. It looks to me some sedan vehicles are no longer considered by consumer market over something like a economical crossover car. People see crossovers(sort of like smaller suvs/jeeps with good fuel economy) as safer vehicles than small cars that can be driven year round considering local climate.

That crossover segment is doing really well. Such as Rav4, Trax, Nissan Rouge, Escape, etc... Okay just checked and apparently these are considered SUVS. So your thesis does make sense.

It's kind of funny though how Mustang faithful said the Camaro would be killed due to lower sales even though data supported the theory of higher profits per sale. Now Ford is killing most of its lineup due to low profit margins, lmao.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
be damn funny if by 2022 the fickle public decides they hate SUV's and want sedans again
Old 04-26-2018, 04:33 AM   #5
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
It’s crazy to see. But in no way surprising.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Ford to stop selling every car in North America but the Mustang and Focus Active

My, my...this is very unsettling. Ford may be the chief rival of the Chevrolet brand; however, when your competition is doing this, it foreshadows your future.

So Ford is breaking out of the SUV, van, and crossover game for North America eh?

Does this mean they will continue selling their other products to South America, Europe, Asia, South East Asia, and Australia?

What say you?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-...205243027.html
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Ford announces its killing off all its cars; Mustang survives

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ings/34244867/

There’s been a lot of speculation between both GM and Ford on sedans getting the axe. This seems drastic; will be very interesting to see what GM decides to do with their portfolio.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #8
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
If GM goes drastic, maybe they'll keep Corvette, Malibu, and Cruz and drop all other cars? Wonder if Ford will keep some of their sedans for foreign markets in the near future?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Ford made a drastic announcement, but what they aren’t saying is that those factories will still be equipped to bring back the intermediate and full size vehicles if the market demands it.

GM had already taken similar steps, just not as drastic, by scaling back production of the Cruze, Impala, LaCrosse and the ATS and CTS, to increase production of CUVs and SUVs.

This is all driven by consumer demand for larger vehicles, sustained relatively “low” gas prices and the economy. Since things are typically occur in cycles, there will be another oil crisis, some analysts predict it may happen this year, where we’ll see gas prices spike. While the economy is moving along and home prices are increasing, any sustained recession would make purchasing a SUV cost prohibitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
If GM goes drastic, maybe they'll keep Corvette, Malibu, and Cruz and drop all other cars? Wonder if Ford will keep some of their sedans for foreign markets in the near future?
The small and large cars are struggling the worst I believe. I won’t be surprised to see Cruze axed. Doesn’t Malibu get destroyed in Accord/Camry sales?
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #11
Rayfield

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowser View Post
So Ford is breaking out of the SUV, van, and crossover game for North America eh?
My understanding of articles this morning was that they were no longer producing "cars" for NA, outside of the 2 mentioned, so that they could focus on SUVs and trucks here.
Rayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Funny. Most SUVs are already cars anyway. So everyone wants a station wagon, but want to call it a SUV to make themselves sound sporty.

Looking forward to the first SUV woodies.

I do like my smallish but still large beat up RAV4 station wagon to go to Lowes, to get tires mounted, and take our Great Dane to the vet.
But enjoy driving and traveling in our Honda Accord much more.

It is a good sign Ford is keeping the Mustang. And if you are hungry for a sedan, Mazda just came out with a turbo model 6. And the Kia Stinger is way cool if you want to spend a bit more.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #13
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
It's good they are keeping the mustang and I get the market now wants cross overs and suvs but I think killing all cars but Mustang and Focus is a terrible decision
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
This is insane news, this will cause some ripples in the auto industry for sure

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote