Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
Austin48624

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6-speed
Smile Rear end popping under load during acceleration

So I have a 2011 camaro ss ls3. I just recently changed my left cv axle as well as my differential because my spider gears broke apart and I needed a new one. And I thought my left axle was messed up for whatever reason. Anyway. I have already inspected the right inner axle joint and there is obvious signs of grease escaping from the boot somehow ( no tears ). Possibly a loose clamp on the boot. But I was curious to see about if that IS the reason for the pop sound during acceleration? Also, when I downshift and the car jumps alittle I hear it as well. Depending on how smooth the downshift is because if it's smooth it doesn't do it. I ordered a new axle just earlier but I just wanted to make sure it couldn't possibly be something else! Also... Whenever I was taking off my axles to begin with I was lazy and unfamiliar with the ABS sensor wires and I just seemed to stretch them alittle so the hub could let the axle out just enough without taking much of anything back off. And I did this with the other side. Ever since I changed the diff and axle I've had the stabilitrak service lights on(ABS TRACTION CONTROL STABILITRAK) It doesn't have the engine light on. Just also curious about that. I've tried resetting the ecm and fuse pulls but nothing. Anyway thanks for any help you guys can provide!
**Edit**
I checked the sensors and they appear fine. I ordered just one sensor to see if it was just one of them that broke internally but. Put on each side it didn't change anything.
Austin48624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
If grease is getting out of the CV joint it certainly could be a sign it's FUBAR...or getting there. In some cases it's the chicken or egg - grease escaping causes joint failure or...joint failure caused a boot to let go in the first place. But yes, that could be a source for a pop.

Tags
5thgen, cvaxle, differential, rearend