Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Suspension Help

If anyone can guide me to any sponsored vendors, I'd appreciate it.

Went out last night to Mexico. Played with the 900 and up crowd. Got it handed to me. But, I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable even at my power levels on DR's. It feels like it's swaying back and forth. I'm about to run to the 1100 hp mark sometime next week or the following and there is no way in hell I want to use that power with stock suspension. Other than BMR springs which I have, what other rear end suspension parts can I buy to tighten it up? To keep it from swaying as much as it does. Or, is that just in my imagination and I should just stay in the throttle?

Man, this thing above 120 and it's starting to dance. Or, is that just the way it is and I need to ball up and learn how to drive better.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
If anyone can guide me to any sponsored vendors, I'd appreciate it.

Went out last night to Mexico. Played with the 900 and up crowd. Got it handed to me. But, I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable even at my power levels on DR's. It feels like it's swaying back and forth. I'm about to run to the 1100 hp mark sometime next week or the following and there is no way in hell I want to use that power with stock suspension. Other than BMR springs which I have, what other rear end suspension parts can I buy to tighten it up? To keep it from swaying as much as it does. Or, is that just in my imagination and I should just stay in the throttle?

Man, this thing above 120 and it's starting to dance. Or, is that just the way it is and I need to ball up and learn how to drive better.

Thanks.
My car at stock power is solid up to 160 at VIR. It feels so stable I could let go of the wheel. I would suggest double checking air pressure as my car has felt loose when the rear air pressure was 20-22 psi. Get the alignment checked to ensure all parameters are within spec.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
My car at stock power is solid up to 160 at VIR. It feels so stable I could let go of the wheel. I would suggest double checking air pressure as my car has felt loose when the rear air pressure was 20-22 psi. Get the alignment checked to ensure all parameters are within spec.

I'm on drag radials. On stock tires, it was fine. PSI on the rears are 30-32.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Had my car up to 160 with one hand on the wheel at 5 o'clock. Didn't feel scared in the slightest, not sure about my passenger though, LOL. Rock solid.

Sway is the price you pay for drag radials. This is why I and COUNTLESS other street racers recommend a tire like the R888R. Giving up a LITTLE bit of "hook" in exchange for ZERO sway and stock drivability.

Doubtful you're going to do any suspension work that's going to change anything or help matters.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Had my car up to 160 with one hand on the wheel at 5 o'clock. Didn't feel scared in the slightest, not sure about my passenger though, LOL. Rock solid.

Sway is the price you pay for drag radials. This is why I and COUNTLESS other street racers recommend a tire like the R888R. Giving up a LITTLE bit of "hook" in exchange for ZERO sway and stock drivability.

Doubtful you're going to do any suspension work that's going to change anything or help matters.

was kind of thinking that. haha. But i know for a fact the R888R won't hold 1100 hp so. I guess I just got to get better and grow a pair. haha.

Maybe it's my old age holding me back. The youngstas don't give a shit. They'll hit 160 without hesitating.

It's just the swaying sensation that gets me. Makes me feel like the car is gonna spin or go directly into a wall. I'll have to overcome that fear I guess.

It's my first set of DR's so. Prob just need more seat time.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Had the same issue with stock tires and DR's only made it worse.

Here's my thread... https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500793
Old 06-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Had the same issue with stock tires and DR's only made it worse.

Here's my thread... https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500793

Eh, so it could be a bunch of shit then. haha. But I agree with the premise, you start messing with the car from how it is supposed to be set up stock, then things happen.

I'll have Matt give it a once over when i drop it off. At 800 hp, it's dancing. Once we get this Pro Charger set up and we hit that 1100 hp mark, it's just gonna get scarier so. We'll do a look over, maybe an alignment. I see some toe issues too so. I'm def staying away from the dealer. I might just have Bumbera look it over. Either way, it is what it is. These problems only started once I went with the DR so. Maybe that's just how a DR is. Plus, it's a 305/35/20. So, not alot of side wall. And I do leave all nannies off btw. Never had any issues on stock tires either so. Maybe tire pressure. I have them set at 32 psi. Maybe too high for some street rolls?
Old 06-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Eh, so it could be a bunch of shit then. haha. But I agree with the premise, you start messing with the car from how it is supposed to be set up stock, then things happen.

I'll have Matt give it a once over when i drop it off. At 800 hp, it's dancing. Once we get this Pro Charger set up and we hit that 1100 hp mark, it's just gonna get scarier so. We'll do a look over, maybe an alignment. I see some toe issues too so. I'm def staying away from the dealer. I might just have Bumbera look it over. Either way, it is what it is. These problems only started once I went with the DR so. Maybe that's just how a DR is. Plus, it's a 305/35/30. So, not alot of side wall. And I do leave all nannies off btw. Never had any issues on stock tires either so. Maybe tire pressure. I have them set at 32 psi. Maybe too high for some street rolls?
Nope... mine was bone stock when all this happened. Barely got my break-in miles on and was at the track in San Antonio and it scared the shit out of me at the 1000' mark. Also on the way over there it got squirly when I tried to pass someone and almost ended up in the ditch. I blew it off to un-even road at that point but on the track was a different story the next day. There is another thread that I listed in the OP with a bunch of folks having the same thing. My thoughts are eLSD but who the hell am I. Just hope the new car coming doesn't do this too.

My 18" Welds and old MT from the 5th Gen were too tall so I bought brand new MT which are a little shorter than stock on the 6th Gen so not a great match there either. DR's were worse so I just took them off and sold them. To me this car just isn't made for straight line racing. It did fine on the road track.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Are you running a "skinny" up front or factory sized tires?

a more narrow front tire will help with the floating on the top end. with the soft sidewall in the rear and a firm grip on the ground in the front, the back tire is essentially fighting the front

Kind of like mixing a bias ply rear with a radial up front, except not as extreme.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #10
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
Are you running a "skinny" up front or factory sized tires?

a more narrow front tire will help with the floating on the top end. with the soft sidewall in the rear and a firm grip on the ground in the front, the back tire is essentially fighting the front

Kind of like mixing a bias ply rear with a radial up front, except not as extreme.

No skinnies up front. Just stock size wheels.

I don't want to overaggerate everything cus maybe to someone who is a top notch level driver, the swaying might just be part of what happens. To me, it throws me off a bit. That's why I loved the GTR. Didn't matter the power, it dug in. I can see someone who has years of drag experience prob getting in my car and saying, this is nothing dude. Yeeeeehawwww!!!

We'll see what happens. I'll check everything over. I was looking at doing a drag set up front and rear and going with a 17" rear tire and some skinnies up front, but this is still my daily, so I'm caught in a conundrum until I buy a 2nd car for my daily.

My fear is while I'm on a roll, something minor happens and that ass end kicks all the way out, I'm good as dead cus whatever I hit is gonna rip the car in half so. That floaty feel could be all in my head, but i swear, it feels like the car just wants to lift up and fly away.

And there are other causes into play like the guy next to me creating air flow issues, so I'm sure that upsets the car too.

I almost feel like going to the R888R, but then I know those won't hold. Haha, real world problems huh? All part of the journey I guess.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #11
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
They make these things called roll bars and roll cages.... they are mandated at tracks for a reason, not just for liability. At the power level you are at, you could probably just skip the roll bar and go straight to the cage. or just run without one. your the one that puts the value of your own life.

and you can still get racing wheels and daily it. That's what I've done for decades.... whenever you race, put on the race wheels. when you are done racing, put the street tires on. takes an extra 10 minutes, but I never show up somewhere and want to race within 10 minutes anyways. lol. especially my 6th gen.... I noticed a 10-15 rwhp difference from it being cooled off and it being up to temp.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

That floaty thing is not in your head. It's one of those deals where you don't want to over correct or it will get out of wack. Wish I could have figured it out, but I will say it was one reason I got rid of the car. I don't think they all do it but a lot of them definitely do.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #13
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
That floaty thing is not in your head. It's one of those deals where you don't want to over correct or it will get out of wack. Wish I could have figured it out, but I will say it was one reason I got rid of the car. I don't think they all do it but a lot of them definitely do.

I kind of played with it coming home today from the airport. Was on the GP. I noticed that if I hit the throttle, it would get a bit squirly on me and I'm fighting it the whole way. If I rolled into the throttle and gradually increased speeds it seemed waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more stable. Felt more comfy doing 130 rolling into it. Off the hit, watch out. Which sux cus obviously on a street race, u ain't rolling into the throttle. I'm hoping with the Pro Charger tho that the hit isn't as harsh. Was told it's not going to hit as hard on the punch. We'll see.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #14
kttxz06

I just went ahead and ordered every BMR rear suspension part known to man. haha. Hopefully this will help. We shall see this weekend as hopefully I get my car back if they help. I will def give a review.