Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #5195
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
For 99.99999% of driving that anyone would be doing with it, it will not make one lick of difference whether the new Blazer is a FWD based crossover or a RWD based SUV. Most people don't even know what those words mean, let alone the relative advantages & weaknesses of the different vehicle configurations. And of the ones that do, hardly any actually do anything that requires the capability of a body on frame SUV.

Its the Chevy Acadia/XT5
I had only heard that the Blazer might return, but hadn't read details. I wished that if it did, it would be a two-door RWD vehicle.

Would it replace the Equinox, Traverse or be slotted between the Equinox & Traverse?
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #5196
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Between Equinox/Traverse.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #5197
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Between Equinox/Traverse.
Which is why the Equinox got a little smaller, while the Traverse got a little bigger: open up a slot in the middle
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:28 PM   #5198
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
For 99.99999% of driving that anyone would be doing with it, it will not make one lick of difference whether the new Blazer is a FWD based crossover or a RWD based SUV. Most people don't even know what those words mean, let alone the relative advantages & weaknesses of the different vehicle configurations. And of the ones that do, hardly any actually do anything that requires the capability of a body on frame SUV.

Its the Chevy Acadia/XT5
That may be true, but GM has how many FWD CUVs now? At least they can say hey, we got a great body on frame, rear wheel drive CUV.

GM dumped the mid size trucks because they weren't worth it, but the market came back. Maybe a BOF, RWD Blazer would bring back the small SUV market and GM can get out in front.

Isn't the Bronco coming back as a BOF RWD?
Old 05-02-2018, 08:45 AM   #5199
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That may be true, but GM has how many FWD CUVs now? At least they can say hey, we got a great body on frame, rear wheel drive CUV.

GM dumped the mid size trucks because they weren't worth it, but the market came back. Maybe a BOF, RWD Blazer would bring back the small SUV market and GM can get out in front.

I think Ford will have a couple variants of that Bronco.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #5200
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post

If its body on frame & rear wheel drive ... its not a crossover. Its an SUV

As for the crossover count, in North America there are currently:
  • 3 at Chevy (Trax, Equinox, Traverse)
  • 2 at GMC (Terrain, Acadia)
  • 3 at Buick (Encore, Envision, Enclave)
  • 1 at Cadillac
So 9 across 4 brands.

Thing is though, they also offer more SUV's than anybody else. Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon (and XL), and Escalade. I think GM counts that as 5 (Yukon & Yukon XL are 'different') but many would argue its only 4. Either way, I'm pretty sure thats still more than any other automaker. Granted, the only choices are big & bigger but if anyone needs an SUV to do SUV things, you can absolutely get one from GM if you want.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #5201
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
If its body on frame & rear wheel drive ... its not a crossover. Its an SUV

As for the crossover count, in North America there are currently:
  • 3 at Chevy (Trax, Equinox, Traverse)
  • 2 at GMC (Terrain, Acadia)
  • 3 at Buick (Encore, Envision, Enclave)
  • 1 at Cadillac
So 9 across 4 brands.

Thing is though, they also offer more SUV's than anybody else. Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon (and XL), and Escalade. I think GM counts that as 5 (Yukon & Yukon XL are 'different') but many would argue its only 4. Either way, I'm pretty sure thats still more than any other automaker. Granted, the only choices are big & bigger but if anyone needs an SUV to do SUV things, you can absolutely get one from GM if you want.
Car companies do not subscribe to FWD = CUV / RWD = SUV. Same for BFI / BOF, although I think most if not all would concede that all BOFs are SUV, though not all BFIs are CUV. If it was just a BFI / BOF discussion, Grand Cherokee would not be an SUV and Jeep officianados would be put on suicide watch.

When I was at GM we had some VERY spirited discussions about what the dividing line was between CUV and SUV. Friendships were broken, puppies and kittens were orphaned....

Chevrolet would consider Traverse and Blazer to be SUV, Trax and Equinox to be CUV. Acadia, Enclave, XT5 would all be considered SUV. The biggest battles were over whether or not Equinox / Terrain are SUV or CUV. At the end of the day, I think the answer is that for that level vehicle, it doesn't really matter. The ones that were universally conceded to be SUVs are so deemed because they are specific platforms (Lambda, and Chi), designed from the ground up to be optimized utility vehicles, even though they are BFI. CUVs are loosely considered to have been derived from car platforms. Equinox and Terrain are developed from the Delta platform.

I'm not certain we ever really gained consensus on the defining characteristics, unless something has changed in the year since I've left.

As for how to count the BOF SUVs, Tahoe and Yukon are basically the same at a "body-in-white" level. Suburban and Yukon XL (which also used to be branded Suburban) are the same at a body-in-white level. Escalade (swb) is common to Tahoe / Yukon and Escalade XL is common to Suburban / Yukon XL, so realistically, there are two, with branding differences driving the number up to six.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #5202
FenwickHockey65

I mean I'm sure there are internal marketing battles over CUV/SUV but for the most part the commonly accepted definition is unibody FWD/RWD/AWD = CUV, BOF RWD/AWD = SUV.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #5203
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Car companies do not subscribe to FWD = CUV / RWD = SUV. Same for BFI / BOF, although I think most if not all would concede that all BOFs are SUV, though not all BFIs are CUV. If it was just a BFI / BOF discussion, Grand Cherokee would not be an SUV and Jeep officianados would be put on suicide watch.

When I was at GM we had some VERY spirited discussions about what the dividing line was between CUV and SUV. Friendships were broken, puppies and kittens were orphaned....

Chevrolet would consider Traverse and Blazer to be SUV, Trax and Equinox to be CUV. Acadia, Enclave, XT5 would all be considered SUV. The biggest battles were over whether or not Equinox / Terrain are SUV or CUV. At the end of the day, I think the answer is that for that level vehicle, it doesn't really matter. The ones that were universally conceded to be SUVs are so deemed because they are specific platforms (Lambda, and Chi), designed from the ground up to be optimized utility vehicles, even though they are BFI. CUVs are loosely considered to have been derived from car platforms. Equinox and Terrain are developed from the Delta platform.

I'm not certain we ever really gained consensus on the defining characteristics, unless something has changed in the year since I've left.

As for how to count the BOF SUVs, Tahoe and Yukon are basically the same at a "body-in-white" level. Suburban and Yukon XL (which also used to be branded Suburban) are the same at a body-in-white level. Escalade (swb) is common to Tahoe / Yukon and Escalade XL is common to Suburban / Yukon XL, so realistically, there are two, with branding differences driving the number up to six.
Well, its good to know that at least some people within GM know what the right nomenclature is.

I've had at least one lengthy debate with a GM engineer over whether the Volt is a hybrid or an EV. He claimed EV, while I understood what the word hybrid means.

I blame the marketing department. They call things whatever they want so long as they think it'll help sales. So when you've got something small, it must be a crossover because if you called it an SUV it would automatically be a big gas guzzler, as though changing what you call it can magically add 1000 lbs and knock several mpg's off its data sheet. Meanwhile, the big 3 row crossovers are 'SUV's in order to get guys who worry about losing their 'man-card' to accept them.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #5204
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:

Its the Chevy Acadia/XT5
It will just be sad if Ford makes a cool Bronco and this is the Blazer we get. Almost nobody uses the full capability of their vehicles, it’s still fun to own a more capable one though, even better if the styling goes along with it.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:06 AM   #5205
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Just buy the bronco man. You won’t die
Old 05-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #5206
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Just buy the bronco man. You won’t die
Noooo. That's like telling him to get a MouseStink.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #5207
FenwickHockey65

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...-suburban.html

Suburban RST w/ 6.2L V8.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #5208
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I pray that they do a Colorado RST....with an actual engine upgrade.

But not holding my breath on that one.

Its easier for the full size trucks and SUVs. They are already engineered to accept the big boy engine, so just throw it in with some performance looking wheels/tires/brakes and there ya go. Not that simple for the midsize twins.

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions