Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 04-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #29
marcgo2

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Uh, Ford is KEEPING production of the Mustang.

That bodes well for Camaro.

Everyone who wants their SUVs are going to get their SUVs. Even back in the original muscle car era there were still plenty of LTD Country Squires and Caprice Estate wagons sold.
I'd agree if Camaro sales were close to the Mustang.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #30
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
But it's Auto/FWD... a shell of its former self, the AWD manual trans only Mazdaspeed6
I came damn close to buying a Mazdaspeed6. F’n dealer in Bedford dropped the ball on my order in 2007. Still has me stewing whenever I think about it
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #31
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
I came damn close to buying a Mazdaspeed6. F’n dealer in Bedford dropped the ball on my order in 2007. Still has me stewing whenever I think about it
That sucks.

I had one for a few years as a DD. Other than its share of common issues (carbon build up, timing chain, rear diff) Fun family car.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:33 PM   #32
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
be damn funny if by 2022 the fickle public decides they hate SUV's and want sedans again
That’s exactly what will happen and it won’t be long with gas prices on the way up.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:32 AM   #33
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
They won’t be selling gas vehicles in 2022. By then they will have a solid fleet of electric cars. GM already said they would have 18 electric vehicles by 2025 if I’m not mistaken.
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:51 AM   #34
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
As I said in the other thread on this topic....
  • There’s SUVs (Tahoe, Explorer, Expedition, Suburban, Yukon) and there’s CUVs (Equinox, Escape, Trax, Encore, etc). Most of the reporting media call them all SUVs. Both groups of vehicles are selling now.
  • CUVs are eating sedans’ lunch right now. They are capable vehicles, get great gas mileage, and package people and stuff much better than sedans for about the same price.
  • If fuel prices spike, SUV sales may drop, but CUV sales will cruise right along, maybe even INCREASE because then they will not only be replacing sedans, they will start to replace SUVs

Since CUVs are built off the same platforms as sedans, AND since Ford will still be producing sedans for China and Europe (both larger car markets than US) they will still have the ability to turn the sedan faucet back on quickly should demand shift. All in all, this is a good move for / by Ford.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 04-27-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #35

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
'17 Impala....(obviously a sound investment and collectable...lol)....all gassed up and ready to go...Can't wait to hit the car shows with this antique...lol.

Name:  impala2.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  91.9 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #36
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
'17 Impala....(obviously a sound investment and collectable...lol)....all gassed up and ready to go...Can't wait to hit the car shows with this antique...lol.

Attachment 932345
That's part of the problem right there - GM is using respected, historic names on mundane grocery getters.

Your '17 Impala ain't what Brian Wilson had in mind when he wrote "409". No one writes songs about a 3.6 V6, front wheel drive, and anti-lock brakes.

That '63 Impala SS still sounds sexy 50 years later: a 4 speed, dual quad, posi-traction 409.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #37

This is the car that Brian Wilson was thinking of...a two door Biscayne with the posi-traction 409...lol...

Name:  409.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  225.7 KB

But to your point, the SUVs are today's grocery getters and the grocery getters of the future...Doubtful Impala will survive, but I think GM is ahead of the game with Buick and Cadillac....Ford has nothing to compete with Mercedes or BMW, but GM does...

I think Buick and Cadillac will survive any markets or changing demands with full size luxury sedans, but they will get very pricey.

SUVs are popular in large part only by comparison. Once lower cost sedans like the Impala are gone, and all you can get are SUVs, etc., their days of popularity will eventually wane, especially if they are all you can buy...

Bottom line though I believe is as much as car-makers want to build what sells, they can't start and stop models fast enough to please the majority. They'll always be behind the curve....

Human nature shows what people want....and what is that?...It's what they don't have is what they want....Once sedans are gone, they'll want them back.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #38
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
That's part of the problem right there - GM is using respected, historic names on mundane grocery getters.

Your '17 Impala ain't what Brian Wilson had in mind when he wrote "409". No one writes songs about a 3.6 V6, front wheel drive, and anti-lock brakes.

That '63 Impala SS still sounds sexy 50 years later: a 4 speed, dual quad, posi-traction 409.
Most Impalas ever built were used as mundane family vehicles. That was true in the 50s, the 60s, the 70s, the 80s, the 00s, and its true today. Thats what makes the Super Sports ... well, super. Because they weren't your every day boring mundane grocery getting Impala with a straight six or small under powered V8.

In 1965, if there had never been an Impala SS, Chevrolet would still probably have sold a million Impalas because boring grocery getters make way more sense to 99.9% of the population.

Its fine to think of old muscle cars as cool. But the real legacy lies with the regular versions. Because the overwhelming majority of people who have ever owned an Impala, from any generation, did not own a cool one.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #39
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
LOL, We're basically getting wagons again. But now it has a sexy name, like Crossover Utility.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:12 PM   #40
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Since CUVs are built off the same platforms as sedans, AND since Ford will still be producing sedans for China and Europe (both larger car markets than US) they will still have the ability to turn the sedan faucet back on quickly should demand shift. All in all, this is a good move for / by Ford.
Track/Encore sales will take off even higher if gas jumps again with those tiny engines.

Not sure they could turn in back on quickly enough for market demand. It seems to take them 2-3 years to bring in cars from other markets. (i.e. Ranger)
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #41
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Most Impalas ever built were used as mundane family vehicles. That was true in the 50s, the 60s, the 70s, the 80s, the 00s, and its true today. Thats what makes the Super Sports ... well, super. Because they weren't your every day boring mundane grocery getting Impala with a straight six or small under powered V8.

In 1965, if there had never been an Impala SS, Chevrolet would still probably have sold a million Impalas because boring grocery getters make way more sense to 99.9% of the population.

Its fine to think of old muscle cars as cool. But the real legacy lies with the regular versions. Because the overwhelming majority of people who have ever owned an Impala, from any generation, did not own a cool one.
One of the top 5 best looking cars ever built.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
One of the top 5 best looking cars ever built.
Our family used to have a '65 Impala....then later on, I kept the parent's '67 Impala for a lot of years....loved the body styles....but that was about it...both had 283 V-8s, 2 speed slip 'n slide transmissions, power steering, power brakes...that was about it....No A/C...AM radio with one speaker in the dash, bench cloth seats (great for the drive-in, though...lol), crank windows...coil springs on all corners (great fun especially after the shocks wore out...lol)....Not to mention both of them practically rusted off their frames and all around the rear window...lol...But hey, they were 2 door Impalas!...but like DG said, the garden variety, non SS, low options models....family grocery getter Chevys...nothing special.....I loved them...

From what I've seen only the high-end, hi-optioned, rare-optioned SS Impalas have any real collector value....I'd love to have one...but compared to the old Impalas I used to have, I'll take the '17 any day...lol..

Last edited by 90503; 04-27-2018 at 08:28 PM.