#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-12-2023, 08:55 AM   #43
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringCarGuy View Post
I wonder if using the heavier 40 weight oil had anything to do with it, even though it's recommended by the manual for track duty.
That's my personal working theory. heavier weight oil leads to slower drainback causing pump cavitation and destruction. That pump stator always fractures at the weakest point, which is where it is cut out for a pivot. I have posted more on this in other threads. This pump was originally designed for the Chevy cruze, and made it over to many other models as a fuel economy enhancer. needless to say, the cruze wasn't intended for 40 weight oils.

To those who might say, "Well, chevy now recommends 40 weight oils for these cars," my response would be, "This is the same company that keeps using this pump that fails."
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 11:54 AM   #44
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
That's my personal working theory. heavier weight oil leads to slower drainback causing pump cavitation and destruction. That pump stator always fractures at the weakest point, which is where it is cut out for a pivot. I have posted more on this in other threads. This pump was originally designed for the Chevy cruze, and made it over to many other models as a fuel economy enhancer. needless to say, the cruze wasn't intended for 40 weight oils.

To those who might say, "Well, chevy now recommends 40 weight oils for these cars," my response would be, "This is the same company that keeps using this pump that fails."
When the oil pumps started failing, were for the year models that GM recommended 5w30, not 0w40. 0w40 came out as the official oil for street and track use (for non 1LE ZL1's) in late 2018 for the 2019 year model.

I didn't know the oil pump was from a Cruze. Is this true for the LT4 in the CTS-V and Z06? If it is, then why are did the ZL1 oil pumps fail but not the CTS-V or Z06 oil pumps when they use the same oil?
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 02:44 PM   #45
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
When the oil pumps started failing, were for the year models that GM recommended 5w30, not 0w40. 0w40 came out as the official oil for street and track use (for non 1LE ZL1's) in late 2018 for the 2019 year model.

I didn't know the oil pump was from a Cruze. Is this true for the LT4 in the CTS-V and Z06? If it is, then why are did the ZL1 oil pumps fail but not the CTS-V or Z06 oil pumps when they use the same oil?
I agree. I change my oil to 0W4 when GM made the change in 2019. They just didn't decide to make that change out of the blue. At 38k miles, I still had no pump failure. I did have my pump changed out to a Katech anyways.

I am not si sure about the CTS-V, but the Z06 was a dry sump, so it would have never of had this issue.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:24 PM   #46
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Likely so few units in total with respect to the LT4 that GM knows it’s cheaper to repair a few cars while in warranty rather redesign the part. Once you’re out of warranty it’s your problem.
I don’t see the LT4 in any other future car.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:02 AM   #47
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Likely so few units in total with respect to the LT4 that GM knows it’s cheaper to repair a few cars while in warranty rather redesign the part.
Agree 100%.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil pump