Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 07-31-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
IKON unpainted carbon splitter for LS/LT review

Backstory
When I bought my 2LT 1LE the factory splitter was already cracked/chipped in the middle, though it was on the underside so I didn't prioritize replacement. Fast forward to a week ago when I crunched the splitter backing out of a downhill parking space when I rolled forward (DOH!), which shattered part of the splitter on the driver's side. So I started looking at replacements... The stock splitter is known for being pretty fragile and expensive, so I didn't want to replace with the same. There are some great expensive carbon options out there, but my car is not a show car, it will see track/auto-x time and the splitter is therefore likely to see debris and maybe a cone or two. For this reason I was looking for a sturdy, relatively inexpensive splitter to protect my bumper while still looking relatively presentable.

Splitter info
Stock
Weight: 4.2 lbs (not including mounting hardware)
Thickness: .08-.10" wall thickness as measured by calipers, the splitter is hollow
Material: ABS plastic, gray
Finish: Satin black paint on my 1LE splitter
Cost: $500+ not including shipping

IKON
Weight: 4.2 lbs (identical to stock splitter)
Thickness: ~.15-.20" (couldn't get caliper in there, had to guesstimate) wall thickness, this splitter is hollow and enclosed like the stock splitter, not just the top skirt like some other cheap splitter options
Material: Carbon fiber
Finish: Carbon visible on front and top of splitter, the rest of splitter appears to be covered in a rough flat black primer finish.
Cost: $296.20, CA tax and shipping included (via Amazon)

What is included: The IKON splitter came nicely packaged wrapped and taped in foam, then wrapped and taped in bubble wrap, then sealed in a large thick plastic pouch, which was in a large box. The outer bag also contained bolts, nuts, and washers for mounting. Note that no double-sided tape is included, but is recommended for install.

Removal and Installation

Factory splitter removal: Drill out the 4 rivets at the front edge of the lip, and the 2 rivets at the edge of the splitter near the front tires. Remove all the 7mm flanged screws from underneath the splitter, then use trim tools or fishing line to separate the double-sided tape and the splitter will drop to the ground.

IKON splitter install: I chose to re-use the factory 7mm flanged screws since I am doing a replacement, but if you are installing on a "virgin" car you can use the included hardware. Clean the bumper and back of splitter with alcohol and apply double sided tape to the back of the splitter (there is even a handy 3/8"ish groove on the factory and IKON splitter to show where to apply the tape. Use your original or included hardware to install the lip using the factory holes underneath your bumper. If you are installing on a new bumper you will have to decide if you want to drill holes in your bumper for the 4 front rivet locations (the IKON splitter does not have rivet holes near the wheels the way the factory one did). I already had the holes, but dislike using rivets due to messy removal, so I used the included nuts/bolts/washers to attach through the rivet holes which meant I had the additional step of dropping the front plastic undertray to get the nuts/washers on the backside of the bolt.

Thoughts on finish: It was hard to tell in photos before I ordered, but only the top and front of the splitter have visible carbon fiber, the rest is covered in a rough black primer (see pictures). The only visible area that I wish was also carbon was the ends that face the tires, as those are pretty visible, but are primer black. The finish is not perfect, there are small bubbles in some of the carbon resin if you look closely (see pictures), and some imperfections along the top edge of the visible carbon. The imperfections are not visible except under close inspection, so I doubt anyone else would ever notice. This part is also sold as "unpainted" implying the splitter should be painted. At this price point the carbon is not likely to have a protective clear coat, so it will yellow and cloud over time when exposed to UV light. That said, I have put two coats of sealant (Wolfgang SiO2 sealant) and an insulator wax (Collinite 845) over the top of the splitter and will probably run it bare until it starts to age, then either wrap or paint it satin black like factory.

Thoughts on fitment: The splitter came with pre-drilled holes, and while some were a little rough (see pictures), they all lined up just like the factory splitter. Fitment on the passenger side (where my bumper is undamaged) is perfect. There is slight (1/8") gap on the driver side between the bumper and lip edge due to my bumper being a bit dented by the incident that shattered the stock splitter, but I am pretty sure that fitment would be perfect if I wasn't a bonehead that smacked his bumper into the curb.

Would I do it all over again knowing what I know now?: I originally wanted the painted matte carbon option from IKON but could not find it in stock (their website shows in stock but doesn't allow to put in cart), and when I called I found out they are not answering phones due to Covid. I was impatient and wanted a splitter ASAP, but if I were in the same boat again I would make an effort to get the painted matte carbon splitter instead and hope it is a better finished piece that is designed to be run as-is and not need to be painted/wrapped down the road.

TL;DR
If you are looking for an inexpensive, durable splitter that you will paint or wrap this is good choice. If you are looking for an inexpensive, durable splitter that can be run as bare carbon, consider the IKON painted matte carbon option.
Attached Images

wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
impulse

Drives: Big Dually ... RIP ZL1
Nice write up and review! I just bought a wing from them so it’s good to see positive reviews on the company!