Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 07-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
camaroo

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Just bought my dream car

Hi guys! After a few months of searching, I recently found a Camaro SS 1LE. I always wanted the 1LE ever since I heard about it in 2013, but was never able to purchase it due to the fact that it was over my budget. I am glad I was patient with my purchase because I found the exact spec I wanted. I am still getting used to the car, but I can immediately tell it is a beast. I am looking to replace the original tires with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Has anyone done this? Would I lose grip since it isn't as hardcore as the original tires? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

camaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Let me be the first to say from the East Coast and congratulations on your 6th gen 1LE, she looks awesome. You will thoroughly enjoy this car, the power, the handling, the sound, the electronics and the powerful, masculine 2016-2018 look.

Along with many others, I also switched to PS4S tires, and I have 1LE replica wheels with them. You won't give up much, just a little bit of dry traction and performance at very high temperatures, but its wet grip is drastically superior, plus these are extremely quiet tires. So, depending on what you want to use the 1LE for, it may or may not be the best idea—I'd say the more your use leans towards daily driving, the better choice these Michelins are; if you are planning 100% track use for the car, then stick to the original Goodyears, but they will try to kill you if you get caught in a downpour. Not sure how realistic that is in LA, just letting you know

Any other modding plans? I'd suggest a removable front license plate to boot, that factory one is an eyesore. I have a Sto'n'Sho and it's doing an excellent job.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
Aragorn
Account Suspended

So I didn’t have to wait as long as you did, LOL, but I did look for about a year for mine before I found it. Congratulations!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
camaroo

Thank you! As of mods, I haven't thought of anything major yet. I was thinking of switching out the taillights for the clear ones. As for the front license plate holder, I have to look into it. I was kinda disappointed when I saw it had the front license plate, but there's not much I can do about it. I forgot to mention that it is a 2018 Camaro 1ss 1le with less than 5k miles. Also, I am surprised as to how daily driveable the 1le is. I know its a beast on the track, so I thought that meant a super stiff ride. Boy was I wrong. It's about as comfortable as my base 2018 Mustang GT I had.
camaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Congrats! I recently bought my Dream Car as well, a 2020 2SS... Enjoy your new car!

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:06 AM   #6
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
You can't go wrong with an SS 1LE!!! Congrats! I also waited for a few years for the right time to pull the trigger, and man I am so glad I did!

Can't help with tires, I am still running the factory tires, as said, just avoid rain. I plan on getting a second set of wheels with more rain friendly tires so I can swap at will depending on what I am doing. Best of both worlds!!

Enjoy that beast!!!!
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
PS4S are a great luxury/sport tire for something like a Z4 or similar, but they aren't as good as the GYSC3 that come on the 1LE. They also lack the strong shoulder profile of the GY and have a 'stretched' look in these sizes along with less overall contact patch width.

Great tire, love 'em on my BMWs and Caddies but people who parrot the internet's PS4S IS BEST mantra have a lot of learning to do.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
It depends on the context whether the SC3 is better than the PS4S. On track especially or even for aggressive back roads driving the SC3s are slightly better in dry weather and will probably have less chance of overheating. They don't grip well for the first few miles when it is 50°F or lower outside until they get some heat into them and they are not ideal when driving in the rain although I have done it without issues (thanks to traction/stability control) when they are not low on tread.

IMO PS4S is better for daily driving especially if you are going to encounter rain and/or cool temperatures often but it may be worth living with the SC3s as your tire if you track often or getting a second set of wheels and tires if you want more flexibility.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Supercar 3R are very dangerous in wet. Even owners manual states"
While DOT approved, not recommended for wet conditions" and they aren't kidding! That was to cover GM's butt when you wipe out in a medium rain! lol

Supercar 3 is a somewhat different tire and are more wet friendly. Either version is not good when cold as stated already. OP is in LA so don't think cold is an issue.....but rain might be.

Several posts above are not clear on which GYSC3 they are referring to, SC3 or SC3R? There is a difference, especially when talking about driving in the rain.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroo View Post
Thank you! As of mods, I haven't thought of anything major yet. I was thinking of switching out the taillights for the clear ones. As for the front license plate holder, I have to look into it. I was kinda disappointed when I saw it had the front license plate, but there's not much I can do about it. I forgot to mention that it is a 2018 Camaro 1ss 1le with less than 5k miles. Also, I am surprised as to how daily driveable the 1le is. I know its a beast on the track, so I thought that meant a super stiff ride. Boy was I wrong. It's about as comfortable as my base 2018 Mustang GT I had.
2018 gt is nice. How do they compare?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #11
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Congrats on the new car! Looks great.

With less than 5K miles on the tires, you should be able to get another 5K miles out of them before they need replacement. Depending on how hard the previous owner drove them, that is. Maybe just try them out for awhile to keep your expenses down?

I agree with the others that the Michelins would be better daily driver tires, but you can't beat the OEM Goodyears on the track.

I've got 6200 miles on my Goodyears so far, including 3 moderate HPDE track days. Looks like mine will possibly last to 10K miles if I don't track them any more.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #12
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
If you live in LA, the stock tires will be fine.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #13
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
It depends on the context whether the SC3 is better than the PS4S. On track especially or even for aggressive back roads driving the SC3s are slightly better in dry weather and will probably have less chance of overheating. They don't grip well for the first few miles when it is 50°F or lower outside until they get some heat into them and they are not ideal when driving in the rain although I have done it without issues (thanks to traction/stability control) when they are not low on tread.

IMO PS4S is better for daily driving especially if you are going to encounter rain and/or cool temperatures often but it may be worth living with the SC3s as your tire if you track often or getting a second set of wheels and tires if you want more flexibility.
PS4S is also highly compromised at low temperatures. If rain and lower temps are a concern, you should be looking at AS3 instead.

I happen to have cars with the PS4S, AS3+ and SC3 sitting in the garage right now; so making the comparison is very easy and direct for me.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #14
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
The stock Goodyears are a great tire, and the high level of performance the 1LE attains is in part due to the Goodyears.

That said, they fling way too many rocks, don't like cool or wet weather, and tend to become very noisy with age/mileage.

I would only track the car with Goodyears or something more track focused, but for the street and daily use I get something like the Michelins.

I ended up with the Continentals due to the Michelins being backordered.