Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #15
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
My opinion for people worried about modding themselves out of a warranty is if you're going to do it then go big. Take the heads off the motor and do a AFM delete. Get the heads ported and cam the car at the same time. Sure this sounds like putting the cart before the Ox or whatever, but IMO the biggest issue these motors have that the warranty protects against is an AFM lifter collapsing. Your chances of a catastrophic failure are greatly decreased with the AFM components out the motor.

Hell even if you just port the heads and stay with a stock cam for now then you can cam the car later, your head work will have already been taken car of. Just upgrade the springs/pushrods/rockers when you cam the car to save money for now. I doubt there are much gains to be had with ported heads and a stock cam, but you'll be free of the crappy lifters that cause most of these motor failures.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #16
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
If you go the heads only route then the heads will have to come back off later for a cam swap. You can't install non AFM lifters on the stock cam.

Side note, Ported Heads are worth 25whp even on the stock cam.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:44 PM   #17
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
You can't install non AFM lifters on the stock cam.
King: Please tell me more. One is not able to install a set of Johnson lifters in place of all the factory LT1 lifters? I had not heard of this - thanks!