Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 06-16-2020, 04:28 PM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS18 View Post
In all honesty, do yourselves a favor and just order the ACS Composites. They really are the best option out there and are the closest to OEM that you will get as far as quality and fitment. I have heard so many issues with Ikon, EOS, C7, ZL1 addons. They either don't fit great and have gaps, the tape doesn't hold, they switch out the hardware because the hardware provided is no good, the paint is not good, some don't have any instructions with them. ACS has everything you need and it is quality. On top of that, they have the best customer service and will take care of you. They also offer to my knowledge, the only rock guards that are compatible with side skirts and still look good and not like a flimsy mud flap. They also have a undertray to compliment the front splitter. They are a bit more pricey, but like someone already stated on here, you get what you pay for and when you pay as much for these cars as we do and you want them to look nice, you just put good quality parts on them to last your investment.
I can completely follow your comments here as I am a VALUE-conscious consumer moreso than a PRICE-conscious consumer. I knowingly pay more for specific kinds of products because the one I am buying will outlast a cheaper version or be easier to use or.... you get the idea.

In this instance, I am willing to put in some time and effort to achieve the fit and finish because there is a major cost difference against other products. If, when I take this out of the packaging, it simply doesn't fit properly and will take a lot of work, then it's going back and I will be forced to try an alternate route.

I bought a convertible and have already ordered the windscreen, am looking at getting a PPF install done, and need quality floor mats. That's a fair amount of add-on cost beyond the car, so anything I can do to control the costs is in my favor. If I were open to spending the kind of money required for ACS (double what I've spent on the EOS products), I would have just bought OEM.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #30
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Am I missing something on their page? ACS "Composites' doesn't have anything in carbon fiber other than a $5000 wing? Was hoping since everyone is raving how good of quality they are that they would have CF splitters and skirts.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #31
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
I thought I would post a follow-up here...

The kit I bought consisted of two specific EOS items with the following part numbers: FLIP-210-ABS and SS-160-ABS. The splitter went on very easily using only original hardware mounting points and hardware. There are four additional holes in the splitter where you are supposed to drill into the bottom of the front bumper cover and install rivets - I did not do this and am not planning to do this. The splitter is quite rigid and I see no signs as of now (not a lot of miles on the car yet since install, so this is subject to change) that there is any stress on the splitter that would warrant my installing the rivets.

The side skirts just went on in the last few days. They actually follow the contour of the rockers pretty well and there were no significant gaps anywhere when doing initial fitment testing. I used a 3M VHB tape with ALL of the proper installation steps:

- Removed extra material from the skirts leftover from the molding process (mostly around edges of holes)
- Lightly sanded any areas where material was removed to ensure it was completely flat and smooth
- Lightly sanded all along the areas where tape would be applied
- Wiped everything down to remove "dust"
- Wiped everything down with IPA to ensure a clean bond with the tape
- Taped the entire perimeter as well as an additional length along the bottom edge of the vertical portion of the skirt
- "Rolled" the tape with heavy pressure (I used a roller with a wooden "wheel") to ensure the tape was completely bonded to the skirt
- Thoroughly washed and dried the rockers (this happened 36-48 hours prior to install, and I didn't drive the car)
- Wiped the rockers down with IPA multiple times to ensure ALL dirt and other contaminants were removed
- Installed the skirts with the tape on the horizontal surface (underneath) exposed first, then peeled the protector from the lower / internal tape, and finished by removing the protector from the upper piece of tape
- Applied significant pressure all along the taped areas, working slowly to allow the tape to begin to bond
- Used a hair dryer on high to heat a couple of areas where the tape did not want to bond initially, added pressure for up to a full minute to promote bonding once heated

After 48 hours, there were only a couple of areas where the tape failed to bond. Each section is less than 1.5" in length, and it only appeared in one place on the driver's side and a couple of places on the passenger side (the passenger side gaps are under 3/4" in length). As of now, the tape is fully bonded and is holding the skirts on with ZERO hardware. I've driven the car and the skirts do not move.

Once I'm satisfied that there is no more breakdown of the bonding, I will apply a thin film of silicone or similar along the top edge to ensure that water and debris is not able to fall down through those openings. As with the splitter, I have no intention at this point of drilling / screwing through the body panels to secure these as they are quite solid as of now.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #32
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
My EOS splitter and side skirts are great for the price, in my opinion. I was shocked to see that my splitter came painted in metallic black, which matched my car! I got the carbon fiber side skirts. They fit perfectly. I used 3m body molding tape and that stuff is beast! In fact, I was a little off on my placement so I had to pull one side off and reset. I had to use a panel tool to get the 3m tape loose! I used aluminum 3/16” x 1/4” rivets. Don’t use stainless rivets.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #33
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange devil View Post
Sure ..they fit like a glove and and can't beat the pice ..only thing I recommend ..is ditching the double-sided tape that it comes with an investing some better tape that stronger.and clean out the pre drilled holes from the paint ..other then that install is so easy

Nice, do you have their splitter? I'm going to roll the dice and order the Ikon splitter right now. I have an RPI Designs version and the coating is coming off and it's frail...
Old 07-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #34
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Sure ..they fit like a glove and and can't beat the pice ..only thing I recommend ..is ditching the double-sided tape that it comes with an investing some better tape that stronger.and clean out the pre drilled holes from the paint ..other then that install is so easy

Nice, do you have their splitter? I'm going to roll the dice and order the Ikon splitter right now. I have an RPI Designs version and the coating is coming off and it's frail...
Old 07-19-2020, 04:13 AM   #35
beedo

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE NFG
h
Quote:
Are these the ones you ordered? https://www.ikonmotorsports.com/fits...-abs-pair.html
beedo is offline   Reply With Quote