Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #141
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxSummit16 View Post
I sent Will some data a few weeks ago and haven't heard back. Base tune certainly made a big difference though. I'm also hoping he can fix the slip values in the transmission tune because my shudder issue recently got a lot worse. Went and got the flush but I know thats just a bandaid.

I'm going to try to get some runs in soon before it gets too cold.
I got my base tune files really quick, within a week of having the unit. It definitely pulls a lot harder and shifts faster. I only have ‘shudder’ when in V4 mode, but I’m not convinced that it’s transmission related. I have a feeling that there are balance issues in the engine itself when in V4 mode, I assume this might be because the crank shaft counterweights and cylinder firing order are based on the engine being a V6.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #142
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
I got my base tune files really quick, within a week of having the unit. It definitely pulls a lot harder and shifts faster. I only have ‘shudder’ when in V4 mode, but I’m not convinced that it’s transmission related. I have a feeling that there are balance issues in the engine itself when in V4 mode, I assume this might be because the crank shaft counterweights and cylinder firing order are based on the engine being a V6.
Didn't your base tune disable V4 mode? Mine did and the shudder went away for about 2 months then all of a sudden came back worse than when AFM was enabled. The flush did fix it (at least for now). As an aside, having AFM disabled has only cost me maybe 1 or 2 mpg since the tune.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #143
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Didn't your base tune disable V4 mode? Mine did and the shudder went away for about 2 months then all of a sudden came back worse than when AFM was enabled. The flush did fix it (at least for now). As an aside, having AFM disabled has only cost me maybe 1 or 2 mpg since the tune.
It didn’t. It’s actually more aggressive with putting the car into V4 and keeping it there in Touring mode, which is what I had wanted. I told Will that I wanted Touring mode to have a really soft, laid back feel.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #144
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
Interesting...my preference would be V4 Touring...off in Sport...guess I should ask him about that...
Old 10-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #145
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Interesting...my preference would be V4 Touring...off in Sport...guess I should ask him about that...
Same here, ask him about it. I’m curious to see how much the car improves after I get the updated tune.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #146
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Had a couple good runs this evening. Car felt like it was really strong in the cold air, 37F. This was on good quality concrete, and I tried it in both directions and got the same result. I think I can get another tenth or two with managing traction better plus I had a passenger in the car. Seems like it does best with a launch around 2700 and some wheel spin to keep rpms up then quickly bleed in power and shift at indicated 7000. I've noticed the tach will show 7200 before fuel cutoff but log shows actual cutoff is 7000. Probably just momentum of the tach needle.
Attached Images

6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #147
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
Had a couple good runs this evening. Car felt like it was really strong in the cold air, 37F. This was on good quality concrete, and I tried it in both directions and got the same result. I think I can get another tenth or two with managing traction better plus I had a passenger in the car. Seems like it does best with a launch around 2700 and some wheel spin to keep rpms up then quickly bleed in power and shift at indicated 7000. I've noticed the tach will show 7200 before fuel cutoff but log shows actual cutoff is 7000. Probably just momentum of the tach needle.
Nice, .3 improvement over your time at 60 degrees, even with a passenger. Were your tires good and warmed up when you made that run? You might even want to hold the brakes and spin them a little for some extra heat with it being that chilly out.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #148
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Managed this early late September. I'm fully tuned with downpipe, cai, 72mm TB and had 17" DR's on. But still for stock turbo i'm not complaining. Thse little 2.0T's can fly I can only imagine what a modded V6 can do.

T/C was off and no it wasn't going down a hill was a flat stretch of road with no cars in site I got minimal wheel spin.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #149
JakeF_RS

I'm not sure if it's possible to get my time down any lower than 4.8. Sent my manifold off for an epoxy fill but in the mean time have done several runs with and without a tune in DA's ranging from -500 to -1000 ft. Of the 5 runs I made I had one 4.9 and four 4.8s. It could be that I need a retune after data logging or the manifold to break it, but the fact that I got my original 4.8 run in -100 ft air makes me think I might be at some limit or another with the platform.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #150
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
JakeF_RS that's a killer time. You have some nice mods! Have you considered doing a 327 LSD swap for your car? Should make a nice improvement for you, and Im sure overkill would have no problem with the tuning for it.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #151
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
JakeF_RS that's a killer time. You have some nice mods! Have you considered doing a 327 LSD swap for your car? Should make a nice improvement for you, and Im sure overkill would have no problem with the tuning for it.
Thanks man. I have thought about getting a 3.27, that's next on the list (and last if I keep the car NA). The problem I've had is finding one of them. I thought I had one a few weeks ago after a guy who put a 3.27 on his V6 totaled his ride but that fell through.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #152
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Thanks man. I have thought about getting a 3.27, that's next on the list (and last if I keep the car NA). The problem I've had is finding one of them. I thought I had one a few weeks ago after a guy who put a 3.27 on his V6 totaled his ride but that fell through.
Now till around March will be the time too keep your eyes peeled for one to pop up on ebay, or local salvage yards. (winter is your friend and the camaro's enemy) Often times they are miss-labeled though. Mine was labeled as an automatic, but I could tell by the side cover it was the LSD.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #153
JakeF_RS

Finally did it! After quite a few tries and several weeks.. I ended up doing a short burn out to warm the tires up, since it was low-mid 40s tonight, and she did me well.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #154
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:

Finally did it! After quite a few tries and several weeks.. I ended up doing a short burn out to warm the tires up, since it was low-mid 40s tonight, and she did me well.
Awesome. Ya warming up the tires helps i wonder what i could pull with my DRs on the street if i warmed them up. Pulled a 4.2s with just regular driving.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote