Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
tchowe

Drives: 2017 V6 Camaro RS
Two odd noises on brand new 2017 LT

Hey guys,

Just purchased a 2017 Camaro V6 LT a few days ago and am experiencing two odd noises that I'm wondering if they're connected.

At start up there is a higher pitch squeal noise that seems to oscillate with engine rev, it almost sounds like a squeaky AC belt. After the engine has started for about 20 seconds the noise tapers off and disappears. I'll try and post the video below.

The second is a constant tick noise under throttle, audible between 1500 and 4000 RPM, but not at idle. I owned a 2016 V6 Camaro previously so I'm familiar with the direct injection noises, but this sound is either different or much more amplified than my 2016.

Any thoughts?
tchowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
tchowe

Here's the noise, it's a higher pitch noise on top of the normal engine warm up, and at the end of the video is where you can hear it taper off.

https://youtu.be/g7EKJ0UcdQI
Old 01-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
TedJS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
The squeal could be the water pump. GM has engineering bulletin out on it. Take it to your dealer as they have to contact brand quality and have engineer inspect to ascertain cause and isolate for repair.
TedJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
CMCamaro

Drives: 2022 Silverado, 3.0 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchowe View Post
Hey guys,

Just purchased a 2017 Camaro V6 LT a few days ago and am experiencing two odd noises that I'm wondering if they're connected.

At start up there is a higher pitch squeal noise that seems to oscillate with engine rev, it almost sounds like a squeaky AC belt. After the engine has started for about 20 seconds the noise tapers off and disappears. I'll try and post the video below.

The second is a constant tick noise under throttle, audible between 1500 and 4000 RPM, but not at idle. I owned a 2016 V6 Camaro previously so I'm familiar with the direct injection noises, but this sound is either different or much more amplified than my 2016.

Any thoughts?
I have the same exact noise. Mine is a 2016 built in May. Took it to the dealer. First they said they could not replicate it. Gave me the car back. Still the noise, so I recorded it on my phone and took it back. Once they said they could not replicate the noise again I showed them the video. They kept the car another night. They seemed to think it was normal.

I hear the same noise you explain between 1500-4000 RPM. In my instance, sounds like that it is the same noise as you and I are hearing on startup.

Maybe in spring I will take it to another dealer. I have been waiting for someone else to post on this.

EDIT: I took it to the dealer before there was a tsb for water pump.

Last edited by CMCamaro; 01-11-2017 at 10:05 PM.
CMCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
tchowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCamaro View Post
I have the same exact noise. Mine is a 2016 built in May. Took it to the dealer. First they said they could not replicate it. Gave me the car back. Still the noise, so I recorded it on my phone and took it back. Once they said they could not replicate the noise again I showed them the video. They kept the car another night. They seemed to think it was normal.

I hear the same noise you explain between 1500-4000 RPM. In my instance, sounds like that it is the same noise as you and I are hearing on startup.

Maybe in spring I will take it to another dealer. I have been waiting for someone else to post on this.

EDIT: I took it to the dealer before there was a tsb for water pump.
I did the same as you and recorded the noise on my phone, seems to be more prominent in the colder weather. I'm taking my car up to the dealer I purchased it from on Saturday to take care of something unrelated, however they said that they would take a look at the noise too. I'll post an update if I get one. I'll definitely mention the water pump bulletin.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
CMCamaro

Quote:
I did the same as you and recorded the noise on my phone, seems to be more prominent in the colder weather. I'm taking my car up to the dealer I purchased it from on Saturday to take care of something unrelated, however they said that they would take a look at the noise too. I'll post an update if I get one. I'll definitely mention the water pump bulletin.
Yeah mine has also gotten more prominent with the cold weather. I can't be outside when I cold start it or else I get mad. I will be curious to see what they say about yours. Keep me posted please.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #7
gprox_69

Drives: 2LT/RS v2.0 & 2016 2SS
you are not alone bud. i have issues with my car that the dealerships ive dealt with look useless and helpless.. 1 dealership is understandable but 3 would be frustrating.. mine is not on the engine by the way but is still an issue for me.

https://youtu.be/h3TDfDplaps
i dont just drive... i drive a CAMARO .. name is IRAQ.. born from blood and sweat.. ripping roads.. and now proud to announce, SPARKY, the new addition to the family.. my 2SS baby... #fasterthanaspeedingticket
gprox_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
tchowe

An update on this issue. After having my car for a few days, the dealer calls today to inform me about the water pump issue, but said that my engine's RPO code is not on GM's list of those "affected", so my service advisor said that they are going to contact GM engineering on Monday about the problem and a potential solution.

He also said that another brand new Camaro came in with the same issue today as well.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:35 AM   #9
alaskajoel

Drives: White 2SS 6MT
For what it's worth, my 2016 SS makes the same sound at startup for a good 30 seconds. It also does it if I let the clutch out and the RPMs drop below 1000. Your video actually does a better job of highlighting the noise than I could ever record.

I took it to a dealer and they said it is a common exhaust noise they cannot do anything about. Their recommendation was to turn the radio up. 🙄
alaskajoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #10
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
Wait to start hearing the rear diff growl and you will be really ticked.
Ace01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace01 View Post
Wait to start hearing the rear diff growl and you will be really ticked.
Another award winning comment.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
tchowe

So just a final update on this thread.

I got my Camaro back from the dealer today, and after contacting a GM engineer about the noise, the engineer came back saying that it didn't seem like an issue and to test out other vehicles on the lot for the same noise. Long story short, other new Camaros on the lot exhibited the same start up noise, and they concluded that the "chirp" noise is a normal high pressure fuel pump noise. They opened up a TAC case should the noise be part of a future recall.

Being that my 2016 V6 did not exhibit this noise, I guess GM is basically saying this is a new "feature" on the 2017s lol
Old 01-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
Where you present when they tested the other camaros on there lot? Did you hear the noise from the new camaros your self? If not I would ask them to let you hear for your self, obviously something is wrong and they have no clue and are passing the buck.
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #14
CMCamaro

Quote:
So just a final update on this thread.

I got my Camaro back from the dealer today, and after contacting a GM engineer about the noise, the engineer came back saying that it didn't seem like an issue and to test out other vehicles on the lot for the same noise. Long story short, other new Camaros on the lot exhibited the same start up noise, and they concluded that the "chirp" noise is a normal high pressure fuel pump noise. They opened up a TAC case should the noise be part of a future recall.

Being that my 2016 V6 did not exhibit this noise, I guess GM is basically saying this is a new "feature" on the 2017s lol
Same end result for me. Service manager took me around and started up a couple other 2017 V6s and they made the same noise so they deemed it as normal.

Mine is a May built 2016 so I guess it's not a new "feature" only on the 17s lol