Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 01-15-2018, 06:40 AM   #43
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
dont know about fl but in ny traffic court a judge can do whatever he wants. no proof needed. The judge will not go out and check your vehicle and even if you had a signed document that said your car is 100% stock he could still find you guilty. there is no appeal to traffic court. its not criminal court they could fine me $10k for driving a black car on sunday. There would be nothing I could do about it besides going to the news. I got a ticket for doing 45 in a 30 once but I was still in the 55 when I was stopped. I literally was looking at the 30mph sign ahead of me. The guy ahead of me got the same ticket at the same place. Judge said Im not going out there to look at the sign guilty. In ny its up to the officers discretion if your car is too loud. He could give a electric car a loud exhaust ticket. In maryland that a guy got pulled over for illegal tail lights in a new G8. The guy got a letter from GM and brought in the sales brochure showing his tail lights were factory. The judge said she didnt care about his evidence and found him guilty.

Isn't our legal system great??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #44
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Off original topic, but when I was young I also got an excessive noise ticket in California. I was 20, had a '69 428 Cobra Jet Mustang with headers and short 12" Cherry Bomb glass packs. It was stupid noisy and I was stupid young, so didn't care. Didn't see the cop and slightly got on it in front of him while he was in a parking lot off the street. He thought I was messing with him, so pulled me over. Asked about my exhaust, I told him what I had. He said nice car, wanted to see the engine, asked if it really was a 428. So I showed him. He was a car guy not too much older then me. Still gave me the ticket and told me I should change to longer glass packs or something more quiet. It was a fix it ticket instead of must appear, so that was good.

I stuffed some steel wool in them & had another cop sign it off who was also a car guy. I was lucky he didn't want me to rev it up as I was sure the steel wool would blow out. He also wanted to check out the engine and talk about the car. I never did change to a different glass pack...
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #45
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SociallyAwk View Post
Third time in two months that I've been pulled over for "Illegal exhaust" on my car. I WISH THIS WAS THE CASE, OFFICERS. My car is shit-all stock.

This makes me worry about getting ANY exhaust work done. In each of the three stops, I was cruising under 40mph- and in one case, 17mph. I don't feel safe from these assholes known as the Palm Beach police department.

Anyway.. I'm legal if I retain cats on my planned exhaust setup, right (Kooks Headers, MBRP exhaust with cats)?
I live in Boca and had Borla S type and no cats on my car and have never been pulled over for exhaust noise. Was it late at night? East or West Boca? Strange that I haven't had the same luck you have had and my exhaust is way louder and always in track mode.

I have a C7 vette now and plan on going just as loud with the catless X pipe and Borla S type

So many cars down here have loud exhausts. I've had a loud car in one form or another for the past 20+ years. Cops around here almost never pick on loud exhausts. They usually only do if they were called about an erratic driver, possible street racing, or heard you flooring the car off in the distance without proof or maybe if you were in a very affluent neighborhood late at night and they have a friend of a friend that knows the mayor or chief and complained about someone making too much noise late at night. i'm not alleging you did anything wrong, just curious what the circumstances were or if they just decided to single you out.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #46
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
This is surprising to hear. We would expect that with a complete factory exhaust system it wouldn't be too hard to have dismissed, but we also don't have any experience with your local justice dept.

If you do end up modding your exhaust, we would recommend just a conservative catback like our Street system. Longtubes will most likely be pushing it judging from the actions of your local PD.
Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote