Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-14-2022, 11:20 PM   #1
RacerXnh10

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Porting

Hello

I will have the motor apart this week and wanted to get some input on porting heads, TB and or IM. 2017 SS 1LE, Roto fab intake, long tub headers, gutted cats, e85.

I reached out to Pray a week ago, haven't heard back.

I've seen a lot of mixed info when searching. I wanted to see what people thought about potential gains vs cost. I do track the car, need to keep it appearing stock, so not interested in the aftermarket IM.

Thanks!
RacerXnh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:42 AM   #2
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
The LT2 IM is the way to go.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:05 AM   #3
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerXnh10 View Post
Hello

I will have the motor apart this week and wanted to get some input on porting heads, TB and or IM. 2017 SS 1LE, Roto fab intake, long tub headers, gutted cats, e85.

I've seen a lot of mixed info when searching. I wanted to see what people thought about potential gains vs cost. I do track the car, need to keep it appearing stock, so not interested in the aftermarket IM.

Thanks!
Ported heads should really be installed with a cam, upgraded valvetrain, and D.o.D. delete at the same time to realize their power gains. There are small gains to be had porting the LT1 TB and IM, but you are better off upgrading to a LT2 IM and LT5 TB. Sounds like you are torn up between FBO and heads and cam. If that is the case, better to do heads and cam if the motor is out.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:05 PM   #4
RacerXnh10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Ported heads should really be installed with a cam, upgraded valvetrain, and D.o.D. delete at the same time to realize their power gains. There are small gains to be had porting the LT1 TB and IM, but you are better off upgrading to a LT2 IM and LT5 TB. Sounds like you are torn up between FBO and heads and cam. If that is the case, better to do heads and cam if the motor is out.
I am - its very tempting to head down the rabbit hold once the motor is out.

The biggest thing holding me back is this car is at the very top of the class points wise in a local club and if I do anything to it I will be at the bottom of the next class (would put me against c7 grandsports, c5z's, 911s etc) There's no way I'm getting a cam through tech without raising some eyebrows. On the other hand I don't want to add 2 weeks and a few grand to the project to pick up 15hp. Sounds like I can't be half pregnant - I'm either in or out.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:53 PM   #5
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
In that case I would run ported heads and a oem LT5 cam so you can run non afm lifters
Old 05-15-2022, 07:08 PM   #6
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
In that case I would run ported heads and a oem LT5 cam so you can run non afm lifters
I agree, the LT5 cam is dirt cheap, get rid of the junk valvetrain, do DoD delete, decent lifters, LT2 IM, LT5 TB, maybe mill the heads while they are ported for a slight compression bump.. You can raise the rev limiter a bit safely and it will make more power 4K-7K rpm. It will sound identical to how it currently sounds and should slip right through the tech unnoticed.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:58 PM   #7
Duramacr1
2Spdsy

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 A10
C7 GS, c5Z , etc lose to a properly built LT1 will H/C. Hell even my bolt on car destroys an LT4 ZL1 or Z06 with minimal mods . Your normal H/C 6th Gen should run low 10’s , high 9’s full weight. Don’t be afraid of the challenge, 6th gens do very well against other cars .
Duramacr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:20 PM   #8
RacerXnh10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramacr1 View Post
C7 GS, c5Z , etc lose to a properly built LT1 will H/C. Hell even my bolt on car destroys an LT4 ZL1 or Z06 with minimal mods . Your normal H/C 6th Gen should run low 10’s , high 9’s full weight. Don’t be afraid of the challenge, 6th gens do very well against other cars .
Running road course stuff, the extra weight and lack of tire hurts. It may still be competitive up a class, I could do a fair amount of weight reduction and put a nice 305 square setup on if I bump up, but those guys are real fast.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:55 PM   #9
Duramacr1
2Spdsy

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 A10
So sorry . Didn’t see you were running road course .
Duramacr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #10
4thCamaro

Drives: Chevy Camaro 18’ SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerXnh10 View Post
Hello

Thanks!
If you're going to port the heads then get a cam. I just had the conversation. You're going to spend the same on porting the heads and install with or without the cam so you might as well. Pored heads are worth it, whether it's worth the cost is up to you to decide. I want heads and cam but won't pull the trigger on that until the off season.