Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
cmferdz63
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Clean or replace GM CAI filter?

Hi all, does anyone know if the GM CAI filter can be cleaned and re-used or does the air filter element need to get replaced when dirty?
I installed this thing a few months ago with tune, happy with results, engine bay looks good, engine sounds good and I get slightly better gas milage (that what I tell my wife!) but I can't find any documentation on how to maintain the filter. I'm not even sure if the filter element is dry or wet (oil based). Appreciate any insight.

Last edited by cmferdz63; 07-23-2018 at 09:15 AM.
cmferdz63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
ABM1SSSG3

Drives: 2017 Arctic Blue Metallic A8 SS
It's a dry element, and should be replaced when necessary. Part# is 23408278. They are not cheap. Do a google search, or whatever you use, for the part number. On line GM distributors will pop up. Prices vary, so shop well. The lower prices will have shipping charges...rule of thumb.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
It is a dry filter that has to be replaced when dirty. I don't recall the recommended replacement schedule. Occasionally I vacuum the outside of mine with a shop vac to removed bigger bugs and dirt to keep it looking nice. You are looking at around $75 shipped for a replacement and it will take a few days to get it.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
cmferdz63
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thank you all
Old 05-14-2022, 12:53 AM   #5
New2Camaros

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Just toss you cai filter? That doesn't seem right.

Now hold on a minute.
The whole point of a dry filter is to increase performance and airflow and not have to buy replacements. I thought the main benefit of a dry filter is you can just hose it off with water and a minor cleaning chemical. If you guys are saying you need to buy a new one every 12k miles can you cite where it says to do this?
New2Camaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:06 AM   #6
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
here it is on amazon. they mention they can last up to 50K miles. if that is the case you may want to start checking it around 40K.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DKQQJVN...v_ov_lig_dp_it

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:06 AM   #7
ste6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Camaros View Post
Now hold on a minute.
The whole point of a dry filter is to increase performance and airflow and not have to buy replacements. I thought the main benefit of a dry filter is you can just hose it off with water and a minor cleaning chemical. If you guys are saying you need to buy a new one every 12k miles can you cite where it says to do this?
it has benefits but it isnt a never gets dirty item. since it is dry you will have to replace it, but not every 10-15K. unless you live in the desert and drive through it.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:18 PM   #8
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6000 View Post
here it is on amazon. they mention they can last up to 50K miles.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DKQQJVN...v_ov_lig_dp_it
I used your link to shop Amazon for a new OE filter for GM's CAI.
Didn't think I'd be needing a filter for a while.. it's a little dusty round here from time to time and I just rolled over 18K miles.

It took a couple weeks to get here but arrived in a honest to goodness A/C Delco box. I thought it looked considerably more vivid blue, but when I held it up against the original one I realized it must be dustier than I thought(and its just plain prettier). It's going on tomorrow. Thanks for the link- O/W I wouldn't have gone to the trouble!

BTW- remember those Allen bolts holding the lid are 3mm and just a 1/4 turn to unlock (just in case you didn't install it yourself).
Attached Images

Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:33 PM   #9
ste6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I used your link to shop Amazon for a new OE filter for GM's CAI.
Didn't think I'd be needing a filter for a while.. it's a little dusty round here from time to time and I just rolled over 18K miles.

It took a couple weeks to get here but arrived in a honest to goodness A/C Delco box. I thought it looked considerably more vivid blue, but when I held it up against the original one I realized it must be dustier than I thought(and its just plain prettier). It's going on tomorrow. Thanks for the link- O/W I wouldn't have gone to the trouble!

BTW- remember those Allen bolts holding the lid are 3mm and just a 1/4 turn to unlock (just in case you didn't install it yourself).
glad it worked out for you. also if you decided that dry isnt good. you can always get a k/n replacement oil filter

Old 05-17-2022, 10:19 PM   #10
Ventmaster

Dry is good...
You get a new screw hose clamp and it is a 3 minute install! I could hear a collective yawn after my previous post, so I thought I otta show one more before and after-

Just 18,000 miles, and be sure your marking holes (whatever they're called) are lined up.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2022, 07:45 AM   #11
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Dry is good...
You get a new screw hose clamp and it is a 3 minute install! I could hear a collective yawn after my previous post, so I thought I otta show one more before and after-

Just 18,000 miles, and be sure your marking holes (whatever they're called) are lined up.
That clamp was the most obnoxious thing ever.

So yours only went 18k before replacement? did you notice performance issues or just the amount of dust?
Old 05-18-2022, 12:10 PM   #12
Ventmaster

No performance issues I can quantify, but stuff like a dirty filter can be sapping the engines performance in a very gradual way as to go unnoticed by a daily driver. I haven't had a chance to "let the dogs out" post replacement...

It probably did not need replaced, by hey I admit I'm anal.
Though I prefer the word "conscientious".
Old 05-18-2022, 08:33 PM   #13
Ventmaster

Last comment on this topic....

I had a chance to take the car out to the movies, or I should say I took my wife to the movies, in the car, for a change...

I have to say either the American Public have all sold out to "Rotten Tomatoes", or you really all should invest in few more ROKU channels- American Public, yes you!

I mean how else does a movie get 79% approval ratings when all it does is waste 1hr & 52 minutes and cost you over 20$ (for a matinee... for elders!)!
I mean, there wasn't one belly laugh or even a guffaw in the whole time! The potential talent pool was rich but the writing was the worst excuse for writing I've seen in a long while.

Send me a PM if you need more clarification as to the name of this most recent outright theft thru *Star Power,* boredom, out right lies from film critics, and online rating agencies (as previously mentioned).

I was actually very pleasantly surprised when we came out of the movie and I saw the Camaro waiting for us. IOW- my brain was completely immobilized by the last 1hr & 52 minutes and normally for any social gathering, my wife requires a calm, soft, air conditioned (no wind- the HAIR) ride. So we take the Subaru, all 2.0L, N/A, 4wwd of it, car.

Anyway, we found ourselves on a bit of clear, empty, well paved road on our way home (well, I did anyway). And I felt the air filter call out for more! I also hadn't bother to shift outta 2nd even though we were north of 40. Thanks to the magic of NPP, my wife hadn't noticed a thing- and she was still totally shellshocked at how bad that movie was.

So I gave that filter ALL the air! And out of the corner of my eye, I saw my wife's sweet head smack the headrest. I didn't bother to even put it in 4th- just short shifted form 3rd to 5th (but gave third a goood run out!). Because, as my wife was so emphatically (and loudly) telling me I was doing 75 in a 40 zone. It may have been wishful thinking on my part, or that placebo effect thing but I think that car did recover a bit of oomph from that new filter!
Old 05-19-2022, 12:01 AM   #14
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Last comment on this topic....

I had a chance to take the car out to the movies, or I should say I took my wife to the movies, in the car, for a change...

I have to say either the American Public have all sold out to "Rotten Tomatoes", or you really all should invest in few more ROKU channels- American Public, yes you!

I mean how else does a movie get 79% approval ratings when all it does is waste 1hr & 52 minutes and cost you over 20$ (for a matinee... for elders!)!
I mean, there wasn't one belly laugh or even a guffaw in the whole time! The potential talent pool was rich but the writing was the worst excuse for writing I've seen in a long while.

Send me a PM if you need more clarification as to the name of this most recent outright theft thru *Star Power,* boredom, out right lies from film critics, and online rating agencies (as previously mentioned).

I was actually very pleasantly surprised when we came out of the movie and I saw the Camaro waiting for us. IOW- my brain was completely immobilized by the last 1hr & 52 minutes and normally for any social gathering, my wife requires a calm, soft, air conditioned (no wind- the HAIR) ride. So we take the Subaru, all 2.0L, N/A, 4wwd of it, car.

Anyway, we found ourselves on a bit of clear, empty, well paved road on our way home (well, I did anyway). And I felt the air filter call out for more! I also hadn't bother to shift outta 2nd even though we were north of 40. Thanks to the magic of NPP, my wife hadn't noticed a thing- and she was still totally shellshocked at how bad that movie was.

So I gave that filter ALL the air! And out of the corner of my eye, I saw my wife's sweet head smack the headrest. I didn't bother to even put it in 4th- just short shifted form 3rd to 5th (but gave third a goood run out!). Because, as my wife was so emphatically (and loudly) telling me I was doing 75 in a 40 zone. It may have been wishful thinking on my part, or that placebo effect thing but I think that car did recover a bit of oomph from that new filter!
And the VERY saddest thing of all... Is probably no one else in that damn parking lot even noticed the American Iconic, 55+ year history laden car you were driving...

I weep for our future... A bunch of Prius driving Mamby-Panzys...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote