Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #15
TRich2SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
I'm only replying to Ted's thread to address TRich2SS's question

The tune I provide has a 93 octane calibration in it. "Refine" is the proper way to put it in my opinion. If you never touch a dyno you have nothing to stress about. Your car will run very well. If you want to get every last bit out of your specific engine under your environmental conditions then dyno and/or track tweaking is the next stop. There is really no other way around it if you want to extract everything you can.

Without getting too deep on how it all works there is some dependency on the 93 octane tune. I created a Matlab script to take all of the various tables used for spark and generate the "final" spark table. You can't just look at the base high octane table and know what your final timing advance number will be for a given RPM and airmass.

Anyways...sorry Ted
Thanks for the explanation Tim as always.
TRich2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #16
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel20162ss View Post
As ultra said, with the 32 additional fuel lobe, would it be a safe possibility to have full bolt ons, cam/heads and running e85 without fuel issues on otherwise stock fuel system
It all comes down to how much liquid fuel you need to make X HP.

On gasoline engine N/A it takes 0.44 lb of fuel per hour to make 1 HP.

On Alcohol it take about 1 lb of fuel per hour to make 1 HP.

So you can see how the mixture of the 2 determines how much liquid fuel you need to make X HP.

There is a Hard limit on the HPFP first then the injectors of how many lb of fuel per hour it will flow.

The Lobe helps raise that ceiling a bit but I don't know the exact math at this time.

Never Shortcut a fuel system it will bite you in the ass, Engines cost more than fuel pumps and injectors.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #17
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Interesting so in theory on "E100" its a hair over double the fuel demand of pump fuel if I am reading this correctly?
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #18
Shaq74

Drives: Black SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
I'm only replying to Ted's thread to address TRich2SS's question

The tune I provide has a 93 octane calibration in it. "Refine" is the proper way to put it in my opinion. If you never touch a dyno you have nothing to stress about. Your car will run very well. If you want to get every last bit out of your specific engine under your environmental conditions then dyno and/or track tweaking is the next stop. There is really no other way around it if you want to extract everything you can.

Without getting too deep on how it all works there is some dependency on the 93 octane tune. I created a Matlab script to take all of the various tables used for spark and generate the "final" spark table. You can't just look at the base high octane table and know what your final timing advance number will be for a given RPM and airmass.

Anyways...sorry Ted
Matlab?
Aw dang, I imagine how tedious that must have been
Shaq74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #19
jwdominick
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
Good info in this thread. I plan to test the limits of the fuel system on e85. I am procharged and have the flex fuel kit on my car. I am waiting on a zl1 intank pump I have on order then I will be working on max safe power with "e" .

I think somewhere in the low 6xx whp is very possible on e85 and the zl1 pump. Of course results will be posted.
jwdominick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:04 AM   #20
wbt2012

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT, 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Q. What needs to be done to the tune to enable Flex fuel capability?

A. A full custom tune must be made on the dyno first on 93 then enable the flex fuel sensor, the flex fuel timing and fueling tables must be set up as they are currently all Zeros.
This is my only disagreement but a great post overall. If one has a wideband installed I don't see a need for a dyno tune. Remote tuning with datalogs should suffice.
wbt2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:15 AM   #21
JFM-jr

This "30%" incrrased fuel consumption vs gasoline figure I see most use as a generalized reference is that based on 85% ethanol?
11.0@124.9
Old 04-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #22
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdominick View Post
Good info in this thread. I plan to test the limits of the fuel system on e85. I am procharged and have the flex fuel kit on my car. I am waiting on a zl1 intank pump I have on order then I will be working on max safe power with "e" .

I think somewhere in the low 6xx whp is very possible on e85 and the zl1 pump. Of course results will be posted.
I think you will find the limit much lower like low 500s.

Log low side fuel pressure, High side fuel pressure, and injector pulse width.

You should not exceed 6ms of pulse width at 7ms they will misfire.

High side fuel pressure needs to stay flat any drops in fuel pressure are dangerous.

Low side fuel pressure will likely drop to 350 kpa or below with a target of 400 kpa
Old 04-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #23
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt2012 View Post
This is my only disagreement but a great post overall. If one has a wideband installed I don't see a need for a dyno tune. Remote tuning with datalogs should suffice.
You are correct, but keep in mind this post has to cover a wide variety of enthusiasts with differing skill sets and tools at their disposal.

Ted.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #24
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
This "30%" incrrased fuel consumption vs gasoline figure I see most use as a generalized reference is that based on 85% ethanol?
Yes sir.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #25
JFM-jr

Have you seen any positive effect in running an ethanol content of say 85% vs 70%? (NA)
11.0@124.9
Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #26
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
Have you seen any positive effect in running an ethanol content of say 85% vs 70%? (NA)
it really comes down to engine modifications.

In a supercharged application with high boost, Yes sir.

Ted.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #27
Sixgunsled

Drives: 2017 camaro SS 1LE
Ted can you expand how the computer can switch between 93 and e85? Or a mixture somewhere in between? I was under the impression that you had to have a 93 octane only tune and an e85 tune in which you would use a handheld to swap back and forth depending on what fuel you are using.
Sixgunsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #28
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixgunsled View Post
Ted can you expand how the computer can switch between 93 and e85? Or a mixture somewhere in between? I was under the impression that you had to have a 93 octane only tune and an e85 tune in which you would use a handheld to swap back and forth depending on what fuel you are using.
With the addition of the Flex fuel sensor and a custom tune activating the Flex fuel option in the computer.

With the sensor the computer can see the actual alcohol content, then adjust the stoich value and timing accordingly.

Those days are gone my friend of having to switch tunes and hope you have actual E-85.

Ted.