Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible


Bigwormgraphix


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2023, 12:48 PM   #1
Corrupt
 
Drives: 2023 Camaro 2 S.S
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: California
Posts: 32
New engine

So am getting a new engine install on my 2023 camaro. Is there a serial number on it to tell if it brand new.
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS
 
2SS Capt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: San Diego (North County), CA
Posts: 2,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
So am getting a new engine install on my 2023 camaro. Is there a serial number on it to tell if it brand new.
What happened to your original engine???
__________________
2020 SGM 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, Red Calipers, Black Camaro Fender Badge, Footwell Lighting
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Steel Brake Lines, MSD Super Conductor Plug Wires

On the left, my "fun" ride, on the right, my "work" ride, a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 02:14 PM   #3
Dynamical
 
Dynamical's Avatar
 
Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: new england
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
What happened to your original engine???
He was the unlucky guy with the oil leak fiasco. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618697

OP I hope this engine is rock solid for ya
__________________

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 02:20 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS
 
2SS Capt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: San Diego (North County), CA
Posts: 2,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
He was the unlucky guy with the oil leak fiasco. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618697

OP I hope this engine is rock solid for ya
Ah, thanks!
__________________
2020 SGM 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, Red Calipers, Black Camaro Fender Badge, Footwell Lighting
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Steel Brake Lines, MSD Super Conductor Plug Wires

On the left, my "fun" ride, on the right, my "work" ride, a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 04:10 PM   #5
Corrupt
 
Drives: 2023 Camaro 2 S.S
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: California
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
He was the unlucky guy with the oil leak fiasco. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618697

OP I hope this engine is rock solid for ya
Hopefully ill get it back by Wednesday. If anything happen after this am going to lemon the car. So does anybody know where the serial number is on the engine.
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 07:55 PM   #6
discgolf01
 
Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible M6
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
Hopefully ill get it back by Wednesday. If anything happen after this am going to lemon the car. So does anybody know where the serial number is on the engine.
Not sure of exact location, but it's most likely going to be about a 1" x 2" white bar code/QR label, which means it needs that much flat metal to sit on - so look on the ends of the cylinder heads or potentially the area around the flywheel.

Also - somewhere on your original engine will be your VIN number stamped on it from the vehicle factory. Though this may be even harder to find as they do this for theft tracking issues and don't really publicize the location, though I bet some on here have found it. Your replacement engine I don't think will have this because it will come from the engine factory, and I doubt the dealership will stamp the VIN on it, but if they do, it would look different.

If you worried about the dealer not using all new parts, you can always secret mark the parts with a paint pen (stripes, dots, letters, etc) then check for them when you get the new engine installed.
discgolf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 10:26 PM   #7
Alan47717
 
Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolf01 View Post
Not sure of exact location, but it's most likely going to be about a 1" x 2" white bar code/QR label, which means it needs that much flat metal to sit on - so look on the ends of the cylinder heads or potentially the area around the flywheel.

Also - somewhere on your original engine will be your VIN number stamped on it from the vehicle factory. Though this may be even harder to find as they do this for theft tracking issues and don't really publicize the location, though I bet some on here have found it. Your replacement engine I don't think will have this because it will come from the engine factory, and I doubt the dealership will stamp the VIN on it, but if they do, it would look different.

If you worried about the dealer not using all new parts, you can always secret mark the parts with a paint pen (stripes, dots, letters, etc) then check for them when you get the new engine installed.
Engines replaced under warranty by a dealer are required, by law, to either have the original VIN plate transferred to the new engine or the number stamped. GM's policy has always been (at least until I retired) to go the VIN plate route (cheaper and faster).
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 11:13 PM   #8
Corrupt
 
Drives: 2023 Camaro 2 S.S
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: California
Posts: 32
Got my car back today. So far so good
Attached Images
 
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 07:45 AM   #9
SSDan

 
SSDan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 2,239
Wishing good luck to you! You have had a rough start with your Camaro. I count my blessings. I've owned my SS since March 2016. I have had 41K miles of practically repair free driving (one battery replaced under warranty).
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue 6MT NPP

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:25 AM   #10
Dynamical
 
Dynamical's Avatar
 
Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: new england
Posts: 365
Good luck bro. Get a range and plug it in! That's what I did soon as I bought mine.
__________________

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:41 AM   #11
Corrupt
 
Drives: 2023 Camaro 2 S.S
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: California
Posts: 32
So i won my case and GM will buy back the car. Am happy and sad at the same time. Dont know what to do next.
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 06:59 AM   #12
Mid_Life_Crisis
 
Mid_Life_Crisis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro 2LT V6 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 85
What happened? Didn’t you get your car back with a new motor?
__________________
2023 Camaro 2LT V6 6MT Vivid Orange Metallic
Mid_Life_Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:16 AM   #13
Chutzpah

 
Chutzpah's Avatar
 
Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
So i won my case and GM will buy back the car. Am happy and sad at the same time. Dont know what to do next.
After everything you’ve been through, I don’t blame you for LL’ing it. I wouldn’t want a dealer installed engine in a brand spanking new car. There’s just too many things that could become hidden gremlins…..if the tech wasn’t on his game when disassembling / reassembling.

If you loved the car, outside of the issues, maybe look for a new replacement?
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 10:13 AM   #14
arpad_m


 
arpad_m's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 11,393
...so it's rush hour now for snagging a new Camaro, don't sit too long on that money they refunded.
__________________
2018 Camaro 2SS — G7E MX0 NPP F55 IO6
735 rwhp | 665 rwtq

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.