Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 05-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
Vyncynt

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS (on order)
2016 SS: Brakes wearing out too soon

At 16,000 miles, I was getting some bad vibrations when braking. The dealer said the front rotors need to be turned. At 22,500 miles, it started doing the same thing again. The dealer is telling me the front rotors need to be replaced and the rear rotors need to be turned.

You can tell my the mileage that I don't drive this car very often. I have never took it to the track or did any sort of racing. I take really good care of my vehicle and don't ride the brakes. I also have a 2015 Impala with 100,000 miles and is still on the original set of brakes.

Is this normal?

Anyone know of any TSB that might be related to the brakes?

Advice/recommendations?

"Ahhh! Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!"
- Lyrics from a song from Scooter: "Apache Rock the Bottom!"

Previously owned
1998 BMW 540 w/M-series package
1991 Trans Am GTA
1985 Saab 900 Turbo (Burned leaded fuel on the Autobahn)
1985 Firebird (R.I.P.)
1976 Camaro LT
Vyncynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
I don't have an answer, as mine only has 5k miles. But is yours a manual or automatic? I would imagine the automatics are getting a little more wear versus the manual.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
FYI get some powerstop pads and rotors. You will get much longer time out of those than the factory junk. The front rotors on my scat were warped bad by 9k miles. 20k miles later after I installed the powerstop rotors, they are still straight and vibration free. There is no comparison. Dont let the dealer put the oem ones back on again.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I second the Powerstop. I put the Z17s on the front last week and the wheels are still very clean even with all the rain we have been having.
There is a slight, very slight, decrease in braking but since I don't track the car I have no issue with it.
I had no issues with the stock brakes other than the dust and I was a long way away from having to replace them. I only have 15xxx miles on the car.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
Vyncynt

Mine is an automatic. Will look into the Powerstop rotors.

I called the dealer and asked if they happen to have checked the hubs with a dial meter for any endplay...

"Ahhh! Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!"

Previously owned
1991 Trans Am GTA
1985 Firebird (R.I.P.)
1976 Camaro LT
Old 05-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #6
Vyncynt

Told the dealer not to do anything. Ordered Powerstop rotors and pads for front and back. Should be here Thursday, hope to get them installed on Friday.

Previously owned
1991 Trans Am GTA
1985 Firebird (R.I.P.)
1976 Camaro LT
Old 05-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #7
zirad54

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, MRC, NPP,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyncynt View Post
At 16,000 miles, I was getting some bad vibrations when braking. The dealer said the front rotors need to be turned. At 22,500 miles, it started doing the same thing again. The dealer is telling me the front rotors need to be replaced and the rear rotors need to be turned.

You can tell my the mileage that I don't drive this car very often. I have never took it to the track or did any sort of racing. I take really good care of my vehicle and don't ride the brakes. I also have a 2015 Impala with 100,000 miles and is still on the original set of brakes.

Is this normal?

Anyone know of any TSB that might be related to the brakes?

Advice/recommendations?
With brakes, it's not how many miles or how often you drive it, it is about how you drive and how you brake. The harder you brake, the quicker they wear out.
zirad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #8
mgwarlock
Nightfall Gray Blackout

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyncynt View Post
Told the dealer not to do anything. Ordered Powerstop rotors and pads for front and back. Should be here Thursday, hope to get them installed on Friday.
Where did you order the powerstop?
mgwarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
With brakes you have to be careful about making hard stops and then parking the car right after you make a hard stop. A hard stop will generate heat, then when you park the vehicle the heat bakes that one spot on the rotor and causes hot spots which could lead to vibrations.

If you make a hard stop I would try and drive around a bit so the rotor can cool down, it will helps with the heat spots on the rotor.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #10
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwarlock View Post
Where did you order the powerstop?
Try RockAuto.com

I started at Powerstop.com to check out the different types and decided on the Z17. I only have them for the front.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Did you try the bedding in procedure?

If you are going to replace them (rotors and pads) anyway, you may as well try it. You may be surprised.

Friend of mine bought an SS with 19K miles and it shuddered bad when braking at 70 mph and above. He did a series of hard stops (from about 60 mph down to 10mph) and now his brakes work perfect. He has put on a few thousand miles since.

There are several camaro SS cars in south florida running on their original pads and rotors with 30-40k miles.....
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #12
Paro

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS A8
I have been dealing with this problem also. After a lot of work, I have determined the front hub are causing the rotors to runout and thus wearing in a thickness variation onto the rotors.

Buy a dial indicator and put it on the rotors and hubs. The hubs should have no more than .001" of runout and the rotors should be less than .002". If you put new rotors on with runout, they will soon be destroyed and vibrate. Use 5 or 10 thick hardened grade 8/10.1 washers to give clearance and spread the toque out properly to check rotor runout. Torque all lug nuts to spec. befor checking.

The factory hub faces were painted black???????. The paint would bubble up from the rust and/or chip off. My rotor were the roughest finish I have ever seen on a rotor, even after spending hours chipping off all the paint with a hammer and screwdriver and using a hub refinishing kit with my cordless drill.

What the hell GM? All the tens of hubs sold on rockauto.com and non....non of them are painted!
Paro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:13 AM   #13
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paro View Post
I have been dealing with this problem also. After a lot of work, I have determined the front hub are causing the rotors to runout and thus wearing in a thickness variation onto the rotors.

Buy a dial indicator and put it on the rotors and hubs. The hubs should have no more than .001" of runout and the rotors should be less than .002". If you put new rotors on with runout, they will soon be destroyed and vibrate. Use 5 or 10 thick hardened grade 8/10.1 washers to give clearance and spread the toque out properly to check rotor runout. Torque all lug nuts to spec. befor checking.

The factory hub faces were painted black???????. The paint would bubble up from the rust and/or chip off. My rotor were the roughest finish I have ever seen on a rotor, even after spending hours chipping off all the paint with a hammer and screwdriver and using a hub refinishing kit with my cordless drill.

What the hell GM? All the tens of hubs sold on rockauto.com and non....non of them are painted!
I'm having this problem as well- what was your remedy? Hub replacement?

2017 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Double Cab
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote