Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 04-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
Garrettcat

Drives: 2017 camaro 1ss 1le
Oil leak

I brought my car in for a oil change and track alignment . It has 12,898 miles on it and was told they think oil is leaking from the oil pan. They are going to clean it up and make sure that is where it is leaking from. Has anyone else had oil leaking problems?
Garrettcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:24 AM   #2
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Bump
Old 04-09-2019, 06:32 AM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I read a recent post about an oil leak and it turned out to be the mounting bolts on the oil cooler were not tight. Maybe yours is something that simple.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)

Last edited by SSDan; 04-09-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: corrected the sentence structure
SSDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
I had the same exact issue. I noticed my car was a bit low on oil so I went to do an oil change and immediately noticed burned up oil coating the bottom of the oil pan. Turned out some oil cooler bolts had somehow come loose up in front of the pan and leaked down. Dealer replaced the entire oil pan under warranty.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Where are these oil cooler bolts at and whats the torque spec. I noticed a light coat of oil on the bottom of my pan but I couldn't find where the leak was originating from.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:15 AM   #6
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I have also noticed a light coating of oil on my pan but haven't looked into where it's coming from yet. I'll be sure to check the oil cooler bolts though. Here's what the repair manual says for the bolts: https://imgur.com/a/SmZYHOt Looks like 89 lb in.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | TSP 1 7/8" Catted Headers | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Where are these oil cooler bolts at and whats the torque spec. I noticed a light coat of oil on the bottom of my pan but I couldn't find where the leak was originating from.
I visually traced mine up in front of the oil pan under the aero and stopped there. At that point I just went to the dealer since I knew I was under warranty.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
My oil pan wasn't torqued correctly from the factory and was drooling very slowly. The fasteners were literally loose enough to turn by hand. The large aluminum subframe brace needs to be removed to access all the oil pan fasteners, but once I torqued the oil pan hardware to spec my oil pan doesn't leak anymore. FWIW my oil cooler bolts were fine, but zero of the oil pan bolts were tight.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #9
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
My oil pan wasn't torqued correctly from the factory and was drooling very slowly. The fasteners were literally loose enough to turn by hand. The large aluminum subframe brace needs to be removed to access all the oil pan fasteners, but once I torqued the oil pan hardware to spec my oil pan doesn't leak anymore. FWIW my oil cooler bolts were fine, but zero of the oil pan bolts were tight.
thats scary
Old 05-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
I wonder if the line workers intentionally do shit like this when they are pissed at the company or their bosses, or just generally having a bad day? I cant imagine working in one of those factories putting together these cars, maybe being jealous they cant actually afford to get one. Who knows, but it sounds like a depressing existence.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #11
Printman

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Have to take mine in for exact same thing. I took my belly pan off the last time I did an oil change because saw a little oil on the aluminum cross member and sure enough a slow leak from somewhere. I did not check oil pan bolts or oil cooler so might just take the cover off again this weekend and check them.
Printman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #12
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
I wonder if the line workers intentionally do shit like this when they are pissed at the company or their bosses, or just generally having a bad day? I cant imagine working in one of those factories putting together these cars, maybe being jealous they cant actually afford to get one. Who knows, but it sounds like a depressing existence.
These cars don't cost that much, so I doubt that. Here's the average base salary.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay..._D_KO15,35.htm

Also everything is tracked, if someone was screwing up, they'd be able to track who screwed up where. GM knows exactly when your car was built down to the minute. They can figure out who put what where.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:11 AM   #13
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post

How much of this car is made in Mexico or Canada anyway? Are we 100% made in America?
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #14
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The oil pan bolts may be torqued down by machine all at once (not sure for the v8 but a lot of the v6's big parts are). Cooler bolts probably not... but a lot of the car is torque-monitored with automation.

https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-sh...evrolet-camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
How much of this car is made in Mexico or Canada anyway? Are we 100% made in America?
No car is 100% made in America. The Gen6 Camaro has a good amount of US content. Camaro powertrains are made in Tonawanda, NY and Romulus, MI. Final assembly is Lansing, Mi.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...n/romulus.html

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...tonawanda.html

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...embly/lgr.html

Last edited by Gunkk; 05-11-2019 at 05:49 AM. Reason: added how it's made link
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote