Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 04-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #57
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I am away until mon 4/15 - anytime after that.
Roger that.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:39 AM   #58
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outahand View Post
My question is how would Reload work on my truck windshield as a Rain X type product? Seems like a no brainer but figured this was a good place to ask....
RainX is a Silicone oil vs. Siloxane/Silica in Reload.

RainX's repellency will be stronger on initial application, but be shorter-lived. The oil film will repel almost everything, but the coating isn't as durable. I get maybe maybe a couple weeks to a month of service life during the wet season here.

Reload lasts longer, but isn't as good at keeping bug guts from sticking (oxide-terminated siloxanes are not as good at repelling bug guts as silicone oil). But Reload seems to hold up better.

Try an A-B test and see for yourself
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #59
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8minus4 View Post
Thanks Glen. I meant that if next time I should, strip, wash, decontaminate and clay all over again or could I just skip to polish, alcohol prep and then apply sealant?
I do a full strip down/polish once a year.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #60
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I do a full strip down/polish once a year.
Smart routine. I might stick to the same.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #61
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
So I found this, I have seen the series before but he recently posted a final. Wow, how NuFinish embarrassed some of those things, it outlasted some coatings. I'm very impressed with ICE, I have heard it lasts but never really looked into it. And the 40-50 year old caranuba vs reload, ouch. It really only died when the heat hit, and black paint in 100 degree weather gets hot enough to reach the melting point of caranuba, so of course it failed, but reload didn't even last TO the heat. And IGL stuff is the real deal after all, I have wondered but wasn't willing to invest yet.

https://youtu.be/fznghWNhPzA
Old 05-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #62
Gunkk

10 week Update ... Adams holding up OK, Reload a bit less so...

10 week update.

Washed the DD today with some Carpro Reset. The Adams is still holding up reasonably well on the hood and roof, but the reload is mostly done on the hood.

Rinse performance after wash is in the video below. Unfortunately my plastic hose sprayer split and was replaced, so comparing the 3 week and 10 week videos isn't a perfect apples/apples. At 10 weeks there is noticeably less hydrophobicity on both coatings on the hood.

Driver's side is Carpro Reload. Passenger's side is Adams Ceramic Spray.

...and pics of beading performance & contact angle for the hood and roof.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #63
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
whats the diff in $ per ounce for both ? also is one easier to apply?

the results look good enuf for both that the $ and ease would be the determining factor for me.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #64
Gunkk

Quote:
whats the diff in $ per ounce for both ? also is one easier to apply?

the results look good enuf for both that the $ and ease would be the determining factor for me.
Adam's is double the cost per oz on Amazon $35/8oz vs Reload $35/500ml.

Adam's requires an alcohol prep. Reload does not.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #65
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Adam's is double the cost per oz on Amazon $35/8oz vs Reload $35/500ml.

Adam's requires an alcohol prep. Reload does not.
For the type of results you’re getting, Adams would be out for me, what’s your thought? It’s what I find is the problem with the Adam stuff.... it’s just too expensive for what you get, pinnacle is another....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #66
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Lots of noise about sheeting with hydro charge from chemical guys. I've never used their products. Anyone use hydo charge yet?
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #67
Gunkk

Quote:
For the type of results you’re getting, Adams would be out for me, what’s your thought? It’s what I find is the problem with the Adam stuff.... it’s just too expensive for what you get, pinnacle is another....
One other difference I didn’t mention is that Reload can be used as a drying aid, but Adams cannot.

I tend to think about the Value of things in terms of results vs. cost vs. effort. So Adams better hold up a long time if I’m spending double the money and then having to take extra time to dry and panel prep/wipe the car. If the Adams lasts more than 2x as long as Reload, say 6-9 months, then it might be worth the extra trouble of doing the Adams install dry with the alcohol wipe prep.

For a little more effort than the Adams I might as well buy a bottle of $65 EXO durable hydrophobic and get 2-3 year performance.

Being able to do a Reload application immediately after the blow dry is a big time saver... and 2-ish months of performance is a no brainer for the home detailer who is already washing monthly...
Old 05-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #68
Gunkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
Lots of noise about sheeting with hydro charge from chemical guys. I've never used their products. Anyone use hydo charge yet?
I have not tried CG Hydro Charge Ceramic Spray yet, but it certainly looks like it falls into this new Ceramic Spray class. Nearly identical in marketing claims and application requirements to Adams: Clay bar and panel prep wipe required, dry panel installation, 2-3 hr min wait until water exposure, has a cure time, lasts up to 12mo.

Couldn't find a listing on msdsonline yet, so composition is unknown as of yet...
https://www.msdsonline.com/sds-search/

But it is half the price of Adams (similar in price to Reload) at $40/16oz MSRP.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #69
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I just used Carpro HydroFoam... used it just like I'd use a wash soap, maybe added about 2x the amount I'd normally use.

Previously I used Adams paint sealer and CG V07 quick detailer, but the HydroFoam made a massive difference in hydrophobic properties. The car also doesn't get as dirty as quickly. You do need to be more careful drying as water spotting seems worse.

This product could be diluted, wiped on after a wash without needing to dry the car and hosed off, which would make a bottle nearly a lifetime supply. Or used as a regular soap it would be a little pricier to use but would add literally nothing at all to the routine. Considering you're going to wash the car periodically anyways, this seems like a nice solution to maintaining that hydrophobic coating. I noticed during a 2nd wash a few weeks later I didn't need to reapply either, so it might only need to be used every few washes.

Given this, what's the advantage of a product that costs more and is more difficult to apply?
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #70
Gunkk

IIRC the original Hydro2 was the one of the first spray-on/rinse-off coatings. The foam looks like a new way to apply (by foam cannon or by hand) on an already washed/rinsed car. Fantastic options for folks who want as close to a zero-contact wash/rinse routine as possible. So the routine is:
  1. wash
  2. rinse
  3. apply Hydro2 Foam
  4. rinse again (very well)
  5. dry

PanTheOrganizer has some great demo/review videos on youtube for Hydro2 (not sure if he has done the foam yet).

Folks using Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax spray seem to like its performance. It's a very similar post wash spray-on, rinse off like Hydro2. See this thread:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547734

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Given this, what's the advantage of a product that costs more and is more difficult to apply?
Great point. There is none, unless you get an improved benefit like longevity. As you say if you're going to be washing the car again in 2-4 weeks, and part of that wash routine includes refreshing the coating, then a more expensive, harder to apply, longer-lasting coating is a waste of time/effort/money.

The great thing about modern paint protection is that there are so many choices for us to make based on our preferred car care methods.

Some folks live in areas with water restrictions, so they can use waterless and rinseless washes.

Others like one-and-done with durable ceramic & hydrophobic coatings that last for years. Once the coating is applied then care becomes as easy and quick as:
  • Wash
  • Rinse
  • Dry

Still others like the time savings of using wet/dry sealants (Reload, TLC, etc.) as drying aids that last more than enough until the next wash. Routine:
  • Wash
  • Rinse
  • Blowdry
  • Apply sealant as drying aid

There really are a lot of great solutions out there for all budgets and preferences!