Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #29
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
meh. tin-foil is thinking that there's a world-wide conspiracy by every medical professional in every country across decades to make your baby autistic thru vaccinations.

practicing personal responsibility for electronic security is not tin foil. Calling that tin-foil is the kind of reasoning that results in so many frequent data theft instances, bot farm attacks, ransom-were attacks, rising electronic assisted car thefts, identity theft, etc. Not sure why it is so easy for people to think none of that will ever happen to them when it's happening and reported in the news as increasing _all the time_.

It would be nice if we could not have to lock our doors ...but pretty much everyone lives where you can't do that. But those same people are more than willing to leave their electronic existence completely unlocked and hope that the needle in a haystack method of security will work for them. Whatever.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #30
Korosion

Drives: 2016 2SS
Here's your tin foil hat, I think they come in many different colors too!
Attached Images

Korosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #31
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post

practicing personal responsibility for electronic security is not tin foil. Calling that tin-foil is the kind of reasoning that results in so many frequent data theft instances, bot farm attacks, ransom-were attacks, rising electronic assisted car thefts, identity theft, etc. Not sure why it is so easy for people to think none of that will ever happen to them when it's happening and reported in the news as increasing _all the time_.
Most of these things you can't even prevent. I've had my personal information possibly compromised on a couple of occasions. I've had my debit card information stolen a couple of times as well. Where did this happen? At a database in another state. The two times I've had issues with my debit card, one was at Walmart, and another instance was the debit card company. There is literally nothing I could do to prevent that other than paying for everything in cash and not using the internet. Which is awfully difficult considering one of the compromises happened at my place of employment with my employee account.

Nah, this is a bit tin-foil. If you care THAT much about what OnStar sees about your vehicle, disable it. What's the point of complaining on a message board that OnStar knows your tire pressure. Duh, it's always connected and you'll get reports sent to your email if you're signed up for their service. You can opt-out and you can disable it. But if you opt-in and complain about big brother spying on you, that's pretty dumb.

It's an internet connected service, if you don't want telemetry data of your vehicle sent to OnStar, opt-out or if you're really concerned, disconnect the device or pull the fuse.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #32
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
that's the point. disconnecting it. That's basically been what the thread was about. The OP being surprised about the kind of observance being done is kind of besides the point as it's just a matter of subjective reaction.. Would it have been better if he was seeing a safe driving report he wasn't aware he'd had activated ? What sparks you noticing it doesn't matter. Just that it's operating and doing things you dont want or need and you want it to stop. Not just pretend stop like canceling service will do. But actually stop which can only be done by physically keeping it from making a cell connection.

Disconnecting it isn't very straightforward because GM makes it annoying to turn it off without losing unrelated functionality like the microphone. So you need to go above and beyond flipping a switch to be responsible. It is also a bit annoying to try and search for the right threads online to find out how to disable it for your particular car etc. So having the thread subject resurface every year or so is to be expected and perfectly fine.

There are plenty more mundane nonsense threads that get re-born every few months. The good thing about forums is you can just not read them if they bother you.

edit: and you can prevent lots of those things you mentioned, because there was a guy who was responsible for those systems that thought being conscious of electronic security to the level that's necessary to actually make a difference was tin-foil level too. It's a culture of complacency and laziness or simply head in the sand mentality that starts changing one person at a time. It's not like there's some democratic decision that makes these situations happen. It's almost always 1 person's decision that results in these kinds of policies and that person has the same thought processes that need to be changed as anyone else you'd consider "regular people". It's everyone's problem.

Last edited by cellsafemode; 05-14-2019 at 12:40 PM.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #33
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subcool View Post
We are going to need the unredacted version of this letter to verify any collusion with Tesla
Well, this is not the "unredacted" letter that you requested but here , take a look at another Chevy "redacted" letter.
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #34
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLUES View Post
yup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korosion View Post
Are people really this crazy? OH GOD THEY KNOW ABOUT MY TIRE PRESSURE!!! Jesus Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
We get one of these Tin Foil On-Star threads about once a year...