Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
1ssa_camaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1ss A8
Low oil pressure light

Hey guys, turned on my car today, cold start, (remote start), went inside the the car to turn it on to be able to move it, and I got the low oil pressure light. All the other lights popped up such as traction control, parking brake(never use it auto) check engine, etc and all those turned off as usual.

These lights pop up on the screen where the speedometer is at. My low oil pressure light popped up and stayed there for like 3 seconds but then went away.

I didn’t get a warning to turn off engine or service stabilitrak light on the dash. Just changed my oil at 10,500 miles and I’m currently at 11,989 miles. I did get long tubes, e85, and a tune tho at around 11,300 miles if that helps.

Turned it off. Went outside again after 20 mins to turn it back on, and the oil pressure light didn’t even show up at all. Checked my oil pressure and was right between 35-40 while at idle. When I turned it on the second time, the cars temperature wasn’t cold or wasn’t warmed up, it was in between. When I did the cold start I did let it warm up for like 5-8 mins.
1ssa_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
You didn't check oil level? look for drips under the car?

Is the car on a steep hill?
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
1ssa_camaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1ss A8
No oil drips. Oil level is good.
1ssa_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Could just be the sensor warming up or initializing? Or maybe some diagnostics just taking a little longer than usual to clear? I'd think you'd get some nasty noises from the engine if it was actually low oil pressure.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #5
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
I always go for the obvious and am right 90% of the time.

You said you changed the oil, did you use a good filter that has a non-drain back valve?

When I change my oil I always pour some oil in the new filter because the oil pressure light stays on while the engine fills the filter upon first startup.

Let the vehicle sit overnight then do a cold start while your in it and watch the guage and light. If the filter is filled it should get pressure right away.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I think coolbreeze is probably right in that your oil is draining down more than it should between starts.
But I don't think this is the end of the world. as soon as you start the car it pumps oil and the 3 second delay is just the time until the pressure satisfies the warning system. It does not mean full starvation for 3 seconds.

I had a friend of a friend who used to always start his car when draining oil to "get all the old oil out." Old guy. Crazy, yes. But he kept doing it. The reality is that a thin layer of oil coats the parts for a while and doesn't drain off. How long can you run with just that? I never plan to find out.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote