Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #15
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
if you cracked that, there is likely other stuff you damaged that you haven't noticed.
Agreed something else had to move or bend for that to crack
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #16
Midblues

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2019 Turbo 4 LT 6sp
I agree JROC after market brace would be nice I have seen a few with small stress cracks over time. I know there is more damage underneath the drivers side is sitting a little lower then passenger side and you can tell the rubber underneath strut is shot. I will let all know what happens.
Midblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #17
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
it's way easier to sacrifice an easily accessible part than to bend the frame trying to absorb 3000+ lbs of force due to hitting a curb. And it could be simply that no other part in the suspension can be made to fail when needed without failing when not needed until you get all the way to the strut tower (where most of the force initially meets the body)

The other guy's post was also running into a curb. So if you enjoy running into curbs, it's something to look out for.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #18
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I know they can be replaced, but there is usually more damage. It looks like its sitting off from that picture which might indicate something else bent or damaged.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:07 PM   #19
Midblues

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2019 Turbo 4 LT 6sp
So body shop said it is replaceable. They will replace the whole strut tower. Its riveted and adhesives to the car. They will also go over the suspension obvious the rubber boot between the shock tower and strut is no good. But he said not unusual for these strut towers to crack. Should be done in two weeks. Guarantees good as new. So we hope so. If not anyone know how long before the car fax comes out trade up before then.
Midblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #20
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I wouldn’t worry too much about the car fax. I doubt many people pay the money for it. I ran my truck to see what it says and it came up with 40 hits. only one of them was an actual major issue. The rest them have to be oil changes and tire rotations because that is the only things it has been to the shop for. I bought the truck new
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #21
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Glad that it's fixable.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #22
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by az4783054 View Post
Whether you report it to your insurance company is up to you.
What's "up to you" (the consumer) is whether or not you want to risk having your insurance dropped and getting blackballed by the industry. Your policy is a contract, and you specifically agree (in that contract) to report any and all damage to the insurance company in a timely manner. Failure to do so could result in immediately having your policy dropped for violating that contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midblues View Post
no insurance yet taking it to a body shop see what they say first. If its to much $ to repair correctly then total it. I didnt get hurt and hope its enough to pay off loan. cant believe a 3 inch crack can render a completely new car totalled. Sucks
See above. You need to tell them. Use a repair shop that's certified by your insurance company and keep ALL of the paperwork. At sale/trade time, give everything to the dealer/buyer to show that it was properly repaired and tell them you aren't accepting a lower value since it was repaired correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=555199&page=2

Not totaled ...not even close. But like i said, i'd be suspicious of other as of yet undetected damage.
One more reason to be certain to get insurance involved -now-. The repair shop will do the estimate using insurance industry-approved software and submit the claim. If they find more damage when they are pulling things apart, they can write a supplemental claim on the spot to get it approved, or the insurance company might have the option to total it out at some "eventual" point.

If you genuinely love the car and don't want it totaled because of sentimental value, be prepared to demonstrate to the insurance company that it's fair market value is of a certain level and don't let them total it out based on a valuation that's genuinely too low. This may not be necessary to do as it depends on a lot of factors. I was in a motorcycle accident and my bike was totaled (and I knew it because it was 15 years old at the time of the accident and parts to repair it were not readily available). I was genuinely surprised at how well the carrier handled all of it, including how they valued it (which was actually pretty spot on to retail numbers since it was a somewhat rare bike).
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:14 PM   #23
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
^I have never heard of this, unless the US is that different from Canada. Realistically that risk is so low I don't see anyone ever sweat over it.

Think about it. If the repair amount is under the whatever deductible you have(assuming you have collision coverage to begin with), what is the point of reporting the damage after the shop has assessd the damage? I have backed my car into walls(lightly, strictly cosmetic damage only), have friends that did damage to their own cars and didn't bother with the insurance because the repair cost is less than the deductible(or deductible+the premium increase). Never an issue.

As long as no other person is involved in a collision(if there is, always go to insurance), most people would just assess the damage first before they weigh if it's worth it to have their premium go up.

Keep in mind that insurance companies sometimes cut cost by using refurbished parts and/or cheap aftermarket stuff, hence why it's not a bad idea to have a shop assess the damage first before making the claim.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #24
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
^I have never heard of this, unless the US is that different from Canada. Realistically that risk is so low I don't see anyone ever sweat over it.

Think about it. If the repair amount is under the whatever deductible you have(assuming you have collision coverage to begin with), what is the point of reporting the damage after the shop has assessd the damage? I have backed my car into walls(lightly, strictly cosmetic damage only), have friends that did damage to their own cars and didn't bother with the insurance because the repair cost is less than the deductible(or deductible+the premium increase). Never an issue.

As long as no other person is involved in a collision(if there is, always go to insurance), most people would just assess the damage first before they weigh if it's worth it to have their premium go up.

Keep in mind that insurance companies sometimes cut cost by using refurbished parts and/or cheap aftermarket stuff, hence why it's not a bad idea to have a shop assess the damage first before making the claim.
The point is that the contract requires you to report it. And if you don't, they can drop you. That's it.

Your insurance coverage and claims are basically part of your driving record and "follow you around". If you are dropped by a carrier for violating the terms of the contract, that's going to cost you dearly when you find a carrier that will cover you again.

You are following logic, and that does not enter into a legal contract.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:55 AM   #25
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
The point is that the contract requires you to report it. And if you don't, they can drop you. That's it.

Your insurance coverage and claims are basically part of your driving record and "follow you around". If you are dropped by a carrier for violating the terms of the contract, that's going to cost you dearly when you find a carrier that will cover you again.

You are following logic, and that does not enter into a legal contract.
Can you please post here the part of the insurance contract you are citing ??
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #26
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Can you please post here the part of the insurance contract you are citing ??
You have to read your own policy to see how it's stated. States allow for or require different specific items and languages, so there's no standard way that this stuff is written.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #27
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
I have worked for a major carrier over 25 years. That clause has never come up in claims I have ever seen. Plus is pertains to liability, which would not be applicable in this case, or most other small collisions not involving another party or their property.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #28
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
I have worked for a major carrier over 25 years. That clause has never come up in claims I have ever seen. Plus is pertains to liability, which would not be applicable in this case, or most other small collisions not involving another party or their property.
The carriers require reporting of all incidents because even though they claim otherwise, they use it to rate your liability to them (the risk of having to pay a claim, even if one doesn't get paid out then and there). If they discover that you had some sort of "event" and didn't report it, it gives them grounds to terminate your contract (essentially because you didn't give them the opportunity to have increased your premium).

Does this happen a lot? No. But, it can happen. It's something to be aware of any time that any sort of event occurs.

Additionally, if you read the policies, there are provisions that ALSO allow them to deny coverage for what would be otherwise covered claims simply because it wasn't reported in a 'reasonable' amount of time. Call them up a month later to tell them that you discovered a problem and they might try pushing back on covering the repairs that would have otherwise been covered had you reported right away.