Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Idiot dealer left me 2 quarts low

Would appreciate any insights/comments, etc.

Got my oil changed at a Lannan Chevrolet in Lowell about 100 miles ago, and just checked the dipstick and it looks low. Looked at the receipt and sure enough, it says 6 quarts.

Questions:
Am I correct in thinking that the SS takes 8 quarts?
If this was your car, what would you expect from the dealer at this point? Just have them top it up and leave it at that, or do you think they owe me something else for this screw up?

I did check the slip after the previous oil change they did, and it was 8 quarts, and the dipstick has never read low before. I typically always check the level soon after an oil change.

Not a happy camper.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Yep 8 quarts, says so right in the manual.........Just changed my wife's oil today, was no way I was trusting anyone else to do it right.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
Would appreciate any insights/comments, etc.

Got my oil changed at a Lannan Chevrolet in Lowell about 100 miles ago, and just checked the dipstick and it looks low. Looked at the receipt and sure enough, it says 6 quarts.

Questions:
Am I correct in thinking that the SS takes 8 quarts?
If this was your car, what would you expect from the dealer at this point? Just have them top it up and leave it at that, or do you think they owe me something else for this screw up?

I did check the slip after the previous oil change they did, and it was 8 quarts, and the dipstick has never read low before. I typically always check the level soon after an oil change.

Not a happy camper.
Yes 8qt. Next time read your receipt and check your oil before you leave. At this point I would just ask them to do another oil change for you, no charge of course.

And what do you think they owe you? Had you looked at your receipt, this could have been easily avoided.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
SS376

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Yes 8qt. Next time read your receipt and check you oil before you leave. At this point I would just ask them to do another oil change for you, no charge of course.

And what do you think they owe you? Had you look at your receipt, this could have been easily avoided.
Telling me to read the receipt next time wasn't helpful. I obviously wished I had, but it took me 100 miles to do it. And I don't know what they owe me, if anything. That's why I asked the question. I'm not sure if it's reasonable to assume that running the engine down 2 quarts could do any damage. If it's reasonable that it could, then the question of whether they owe me something is valid.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
Telling me to read the receipt next time wasn't helpful. I obviously wished I had, but it took me 100 miles to do it. And I don't know what they owe me, if anything. That's why I asked the question. I'm not sure if it's reasonable to assume that running the engine down 2 quarts could do any damage. If it's reasonable that it could, then the question of whether they owe me something is valid.
There will be no damage from running 2qt low.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
Slam them in the survey , NO excuse for that

CRF: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
BaronConcepts

Drives: Camaro
Your car is fine. Make them give you 2 quarts for free and next oil change on them.... or ask them for filter + 8 qrts for free and do it yourself.
BaronConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
SS376

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronConcepts View Post
Your car is fine. Make them give you 2 quarts for free and next oil change on them.... or ask them for filter + 8 qrts for free and do it yourself.
Thanks. I'll do that.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #9
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Yes 8qt. Next time read your receipt and check your oil before you leave. At this point I would just ask them to do another oil change for you, no charge of course.

And what do you think they owe you? Had you looked at your receipt, this could have been easily avoided.
The techs should have done the job right obviating the need to check the receipt.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #10
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Why do people continue to let dealers change their oil? You are just asking for trouble. I neve once let my dealer change my oil, do it myself ever time, I have read and continue to read the horror stories of people letting the dealer change their oil and it never ends. My sixteen year old son can change the oil in any of my cars, it was the first thing I taught him along with changing a tire. Change your oil yourseklf and have piece of mind.
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:28 PM   #11
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
This is not uncommon.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:09 AM   #12
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
This is not uncommon.
Unfortunately, true. The majority of Camaros sold are V6s and the vast majority of Camaros serviced by dealers are V6s (many V8 owners are gearheads and prefer to work on their car themselves). So, service techs are changing oil in V6s most of the time. The careless ones don't realize that V6s and V8s require different amounts of oil. I'm not excusing their carelessness... just explaining how it can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronConcepts View Post
This is your best option, but (EVERYONE) please check your bill AND your oil level (by the dipstick - not just the oil pressure gauge) before leaving the dealership, or any service center for that matter.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #13
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Unfortunately OP, this is not an isolated issue. I have had the dealer try to give me 6qts when requesting fluids for an oil change. I had to show them in the manual (2 different times) that the SS required 8qts.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #14
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3071 View Post
Why do people continue to let dealers change their oil? You are just asking for trouble. I neve once let my dealer change my oil, do it myself ever time, I have read and continue to read the horror stories of people letting the dealer change their oil and it never ends. My sixteen year old son can change the oil in any of my cars, it was the first thing I taught him along with changing a tire. Change your oil yourseklf and have piece of mind.
Lots of reasons.
1) Because my dealer, with whom I have a very good relationship, lets me provide my own oil and filter and changes it for $10 while I watch.

2) There is a service record in the event an oil related warranty failure happens. A friend of mine is a manufacturer dealer rep. You might wish you had this.

3) After 30+ years of changing my own oil, I need a break. Why would I drag all the crap out to spend time to do it myself, when they'll do it for $10 and I get to spend time with the smokin' hot service writer.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote