#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #57
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Has anyone actually proven that the stock pads aren't track worthy? I thought Ferodo's were decent pads. I have yet to need anything more from these pads. I'm curious if anyone has run these pads with SRF or equivalent fluid and had complaints.
Yes, my vid from NCM in the track pic/vid thread was on the OEM Ferodos with SRF. The OE pads were absolutely awesome, better feel and modulation vs. Hawk DTC 60's and zero fade. I didn't do long sessions because I wanted to verify on the cosworth tool that my oil pressure was ok on slicks. Most 1LE owners running novice and intermediate have absolutely no need to upgrade from stock pads. This also was my experience in my dad's GT4- OE brake pads are completely up to track use.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #58
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Yes, my vid from NCM in the track pic/vid thread was on the OEM Ferodos with SRF. The OE pads were absolutely awesome, better feel and modulation vs. Hawk DTC 60's and zero fade. I didn't do long sessions because I wanted to verify on the cosworth tool that my oil pressure was ok on slicks. Most 1LE owners running novice and intermediate have absolutely no need to upgrade from stock pads. This also was my experience in my dad's GT4- OE brake pads are completely up to track use.
AWESOME! Thanks for the feedback. Great to hear that from someone who is clearly capable of pushing the car harder than I am. With that said are you planning to upgrade to a different set of pads that better suits your skills?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #59
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
AWESOME! Thanks for the feedback. Great to hear that from someone who is clearly capable of pushing the car harder than I am. With that said are you planning to upgrade to a different set of pads that better suits your skills?
I have a full set of hawk DTC 60's with only one weekend on them I'll use depending on how the OE pads wear. I'm running Putnam Park this coming weekend, and I'll plan to run a little bit longer sessions now that I know oil pressure on the slicks is fine... so I'll have more feedback to offer after this weekend.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #60
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
I have a full set of hawk DTC 60's with only one weekend on them I'll use depending on how the OE pads wear. I'm running Putnam Park this coming weekend, and I'll plan to run a little bit longer sessions now that I know oil pressure on the slicks is fine... so I'll have more feedback to offer after this weekend.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #61
slowman

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE|08 Civic Mugen Si
Quote:
What's up fellow Putnam Parker! I'll be out there as soon as mine is broken in and I change the oil and brake fluid!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #62
Tomiboy

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Anyone know what a set of the stock pads cost?
Tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #63
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
This is what my stock pads looked like after 3 20 minute sessions where speeds only got up to about 105. Grease that the factory put on the ends of the pads melted and got down onto the brake pad surface, clogging them up. YMMV.

AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #64
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
I dug up some info on the stock Ferodo HP1000/1 pads. First is on the SS sedan forums where one guy emailed Ferodo directly and got a reply of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferodo email
HP1000/1 is what is labeled DS Performance when sold into Brembo. A slight upgrade on that would be DS2500. Both of those two materials might be considered high performance road/light track use materials. Beyond that, from our portfolio, you would be entering true race materials territory and hence DSUNO, DS1.11 & DS3000.
Another one is from Essex brakes, a well known vendor of Ferodo, had this to say on Corvette Forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
The OEM pad compound name is HP1000/1, and the pads are re-branded Brembo. Brembo includes the same compound in their aftermarket big brake kits. The HP1000/1 compound is about as close as you can get to a true hybrid street/track pad, and is typically used as an OEM pad on high-end sports cars such as the Corvette. Some would call it a 'sport' pad. It's an excellent compound with a wide range of uses. It has a fairly high maximum operating temperature vs. other street pads, yet retains some street friendly characteristics such as good cold bite and relatively low noise. As with all of Ferodo's recent compounds, it's fairly gentle on discs. Some drivers can get away with using it on a light-braking road course on the C7Z, others cannot.

In any case, I've decided to bite the bullet and take one for the team here. I ordered the Power Stop Track Day pads, 1405 front and 1718 rear sizes. Worst case they're throw-aways and it's not much money down the drain. I've driven on everything from Wilwood H, E, and A, to Carbotech and G-Loc, to Raybestos, Hawk, Ferodo, and PFC's. In a previous life I developed a BBK for the R53 MINI Cooper platform that's still in production, so I'd like to think I have a wide enough perspective to give helpful feedback.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #65
Tomiboy

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I dug up some info on the stock Ferodo HP1000/1 pads. First is on the SS sedan forums where one guy emailed Ferodo directly and got a reply of this:

Another one is from Essex brakes, a well known vendor of Ferodo, had this to say on Corvette Forum:

In any case, I've decided to bite the bullet and take one for the team here. I ordered the Power Stop Track Day pads, 1405 front and 1718 rear sizes. Worst case they're throw-aways and it's not much money down the drain. I've driven on everything from Wilwood H, E, and A, to Carbotech and G-Loc, to Raybestos, Hawk, Ferodo, and PFC's. In a previous life I developed a BBK for the R53 MINI Cooper platform that's still in production, so I'd like to think I have a wide enough perspective to give helpful feedback.
I bought the same. Cheap enough to give them a try. Fingers will be crossed. Won't be on track until late May/June. I'll be interested in how they last and work for you. My experience is strictly with Carbotech and loved them.
Tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #66
hlyshft

Drives: 1LE VS Boss (It's a family feud)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
This is what my stock pads looked like after 3 20 minute sessions where speeds only got up to about 105. Grease that the factory put on the ends of the pads melted and got down onto the brake pad surface, clogging them up. YMMV.

Wow, I was afraid that's what the stock pads would possibly look like after a really hard day. The grease definitely played it's part there. I can only imagine 5 hard 20min sessions per day after a full two day track event.

I'm sure the stock pads are going to hold up very well for aggressive street use and a lot of miles.

Quote:
Awesome! You seem to have a wide perspective on the different brands. Very curious to hear your thoughts after some track time with them.
hlyshft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #67
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlyshft View Post
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]

It's not an internet echo. They actually perform very well based on my personal experience and others I have met and talked with at some of the past track events. I think pad brands e.g. Carbotech XP12s vs Raybestos ST43s are best cross compared using the same vehicle for a true/fair comparison. Just because they didn't work for you on a BRZ doesn't mean they will perform exactly the same on the 1LE. Too many variables to consider, but I completely understand the personal experience viewpoint.
I agree, it will perform even worse on a car that weighs 1100 lbs more than a BRZ if you think about it, it is the same exact compound and heavier car will make the things even worse. I noticed that most of the people who praised the Carbotechs never really used other pads to compare and they tend to compare them to the OEM/stock pads and find them better than that. Without trying the other race pads, it's impossible to compare one to another right?
Quote:
I personally have not had fade with the XP12/XP10 setup. I boiled the Motul RBF600 fluid that I was running on the second day out of a full two day track event session once. But that was my own fault for not flushing the RBF600 after the first day. I'll be going with Castrol SRF with this new 1LE to hopefully avoid the requirement to flush after each single event.
You shouldn't need to flush the whole fluid after each event unless you neglect to be careful and do a cool down lap. I bleed my RBF600 after every 3-4 events and flush the whole thing every 6 months and never boiled them.

Quote:
I'm not against trying a brand like Raybestos on the 1LE and would actually like to see/feel the difference. I've just had such great performance out of the Carbotechs that it's hard to discount previous experience.

I will report back on the above setup at the end of April.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #68
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzberd6 View Post
Each to their own. I've been using Carbotech XP pads for years in my Honda race car and been very happy with them. The fact that none of the other major brake pad manufacturers (save Raybestos) would make them for my model any longer kind of forced my hand though. They have worked quite well for me, and the XP-12s are surprisingly easy on the rotors too IMHO.
Interesting you say that, my friend who also races his CRX tells me he also didn't like the XP12s and his experience is the same with me and all the other track rats I know of He also uses Raybestos on his car now
Old 03-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #69
glamcem

Quote:
My experience too. Used XP10/12 on my old Boxster S and thought they were terrible- loud, expensive, and wore CRAZY fast. Pagid, Hawk, PFC are my favs.

I want to try PFC s at some point but not sure if they're any different than the Raybestos since they're both made by Portertfield Brakes

Quote:
Has anyone actually proven that the stock pads aren't track worthy? I thought Ferodo's were decent pads. I have yet to need anything more from these pads. I'm curious if anyone has run these pads with SRF or equivalent fluid and had complaints.
The problem with the OEM pads IMO (I used Ferodo pads also) is the longevity, it's just too expensive to change them after every other track days whereas it could last forever on the street. I really need to calculate the cost of the consumables and compare the performance/cost ratio for each one of them for a fair comparison. The initial bite will also be dramatically less than the more aggressive pads (depends on the driving and braking style)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #70
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Interesting you say that, my friend who also races his CRX tells me he also didn't like the XP12s and his experience is the same with me and all the other track rats I know of He also uses Raybestos on his car now
Grass is always greener

With carbotech, it's important to get the right pads for the type of driving you're going to do. They have somewhat specific operating temperatures where they work best. There are a bunch of teams in IMSA and World Challenge who use their pads. I ran XP10's up front and XP8's out back on my RS4, and they were just about perfect for running around Inde Motorsports Ranch down in Tucson due to the somewhat low braking loads, but other guys have used XP12's and 10's at tracks like AMP that are a lot heavier on brakes.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote