Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #141
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Well I just recieved my R12 and R8 pads from G-Loc with some Motul 600. Big Willow in 2 weeks. I will report back how they do.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #142
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
Well I just recieved my R12 and R8 pads from G-Loc with some Motul 600. Big Willow in 2 weeks. I will report back how they do.
I hope to be there, too. It all depends on if I can get away from work...
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #143
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Man, I'm starting to think people jumped the gun on ordering more aggressive track pads. The ones that come on the car are surpassing every expectation I had for them. I'm not easy on the brakes. Sonoma has some very hard braking zones and they handled it lap after lap. I'm curious to see if they will handle Laguna up next (I would argue one of the hardest on brakes in my area).
Old 05-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #144
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
Yeah I saw that thread as well. I also considered ordering DBA 5000 with the hat from tirerack, assuming C7Z06 rotors are the same ones, but read on this forum that the mounting on Z06 and Camaro are different, so gave up on that idea.
I don't have the OEM rotors - I just have 6 piston calipers. (long story...)
Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the rotors with the part number listed on the first thread. When the time comes for new rotors, I'll go with DBA 5000. (I like DBA rotors)
Thanks!
All you have to do is to find yourself used/el-chepo ZL1/ATS/CTS or used Gen 6 1LE (duh) rotors and use the hats, just a thought
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #145
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Man, I'm starting to think people jumped the gun on ordering more aggressive track pads. The ones that come on the car are surpassing every expectation I had for them. I'm not easy on the brakes. Sonoma has some very hard braking zones and they handled it lap after lap. I'm curious to see if they will handle Laguna up next (I would argue one of the hardest on brakes in my area).
If the cost and/or the fade doesn't bother you, I'd say go for it As you may already know, going with race pads doesn't shorten the stopping distance or provide other performance benefit but they do imply a bit more initial bite (may or may not be ideal for someone), resistance to fade which means more predictable brake feel and more importantly they outlast the OEM pads 3-4 times in most cases.

If money was not a factor, maybe I'd go that route and change my pads after every other event but the cost of consumables is really important in my case so that I can use the funds towards to other things like attending more events, use another set of tires ..etc

Didn't you mention that this was your first event with the 1LE? If so please report back how they last after 1-2 events
Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #146
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
If the cost and/or the fade doesn't bother you, I'd say go for it As you may already know, going with race pads doesn't shorten the stopping distance or provide other performance benefit but they do imply a bit more initial bite (may or may not be ideal for someone), resistance to fade which means more predictable brake feel and more importantly they outlast the OEM pads 3-4 times in most cases.

Didn't you mention that this was your first event with the 1LE? If so please report back how they last after 1-2 events
I'm through my first set of front DTC 60's. They lasted 3 events (one was double-stinted so more like 4 events). I have a little left on the OE pads after 5k street miles and two track weekends. The Hawk DTC 60 at least, will definitely not last 3-4x the stock pads on track, maybe 2x. The stock pads are all a novice driver needs though. They are insanely capable.

However, the increased friction though is a big benefit. I was skeptical about the difference until I literally hopped out of my car and into the drivers seat of my students' '17 SS 1LE at Putnam Park last month. I drove his car a couple laps at a novice group pace just to show a few input changes I was recommending. His car on DTC 60's after immediately getting out of mine on OE pads was like night and day. After that experience, plus pricing out new OE Ferodo pads (real $$)... I decided to stick with the DTC 60's. I have my 2nd set of fronts en route currently. Rears have ~40-50% left.

Also, my use of tires/brakes is likely not a great barometer for novice or intermediate drivers, you could probably expect 50-100% longer life. I just thought adding that disclaimer was needed.

Last edited by Provoste; 05-16-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #147
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
I'm through my first set of front DTC 60's. They lasted 3 events (one was double-stinted so more like 4 events). I have a little left on the OE pads after 5k street miles and two track weekends. The Hawk DTC 60 at least, will definitely not last 3-4x the stock pads on track, maybe 2x. The stock pads are all a novice driver needs though. They are insanely capable.

However, the increased friction though is a big benefit. I was skeptical about the difference until I literally hopped out of my car and into the drivers seat of my students' '17 SS 1LE at Putnam Park last month. I drove his car a couple laps at a novice group pace just to show a few input changes I was recommending. His car on DTC 60's after immediately getting out of mine was like night and day. After that experience, plus pricing out new OE Ferodo pads (real $$)... I decided to stick with the DTC 60's. I have my 2nd set of fronts en route currently. Rears have ~40-50% left.
I agree, Ferodo pads should be enough for Novice drivers especially combined with street tires once past that level and with more aggressive compound tires however cost and fade becomes problematic.

I didn't personally used the DTC60s but ST43s still had life after 5 events about 40-50 of life and I was able to sell them! whereas on the same car (BRZ) front XP12s were completely done .

This is how the front ST43s looked after the third event, actually let's say more than two events since the first couple two events are not full events and the third one more than typical, session format event (open track club event full day) in an layout harsher on the pads. I will measure the actual thickness once I get a chance

Old 05-16-2017, 06:41 PM   #148
seanblurr

It was my second event, and 2500 street miles. Pads seem to still have a ton of life left on them, and as I stated they really didn't appear to have any fade. Though as was mentioned earlier, initial bite is a bit lax. Cost was something I admittedly didn't think about. My point in mentioning this in the first place was just to say that these pads are proving to be "fine" for an advanced driver, they will most likely be great for 99.5% of owners. I still plan to swap to DTC60's once these wear out and I'm on different tires.

Just sayin'
Old 05-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #149
glamcem

Quote:
It was my second event, and 2500 street miles. Pads seem to still have a ton of life left on them, and as I stated they really didn't appear to have any fade. Though as was mentioned earlier, initial bite is a bit lax. Cost was something I admittedly didn't think about. My point in mentioning this in the first place was just to say that these pads are proving to be "fine" for an advanced driver, they will most likely be great for 99.5% of owners. I still plan to swap to DTC60's once these wear out and I'm on different tires.

Just sayin'
I see. I have a similar experience with the OEM tires, they were surprisingly very good when combined with the ST43s. I have to admit I wasn't expecting them to perform like that. With my '13 C6 Grandsport I matched the ST43s with PSS tires what a bad mistake, I had to deal with the Ice mode (almost as bad as this one time I accidentally broke the ABS sensor on my BRZ and did an event with no ABS) and so ended up switching back to Stoptech Street pads. My lap times improved with switching back to street pads with the Corvette!
Old 05-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #150
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I agree, Ferodo pads should be enough for Novice drivers especially combined with street tires once past that level and with more aggressive compound tires however cost and fade becomes problematic.
Fade ain't a problem, regardless of tire compound on OE pads. BTW, not exactly sure why people associate gripper tires with being harder on brakes- yes you're carrying more speed down straights, but you also are carrying more speed across apexes, hence less braking. Yes gripper tires can take more brake application before they engage ABS/lock, though then you're spending less time in brake application. Sorry for the tangent- bottom line is I've run OE pads on non-dot slicks, OE goodyears, and RE71R's and they've never faded on track (SRF fluid).
Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #151
seanblurr

Sounds like we've had similar and good experiences with the OE pads. Generally, in the past the braking limits of cars was due to tires, not brake pads. So when you put on grippier tires you increased the friction at the ground thus allowing you to go harder into the brake zones and harder on the brakes. no?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #152
Provoste

Quote:
So when you put on grippier tires you increased the friction at the ground thus allowing you to go harder into the brake zones and harder on the brakes. no?
Yes in theory, but you're also trailing off the brake earlier because of the increased cornering capability. I've driven tons of cars on track, never once have one pad compound be sufficient on street tires, then all the sudden insufficient on track tires. That said, I prefer a dedicated track pad period. I hate seeing novices that do 2 events a year spending $550 on track pads they don't need.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #153
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Fade ain't a problem, regardless of tire compound on OE pads. BTW, not exactly sure why people associate gripper tires with being harder on brakes- yes you're carrying more speed down straights, but you also are carrying more speed across apexes, hence less braking. Yes gripper tires can take more brake application before they engage ABS/lock, though then you're spending less time in brake application. Sorry for the tangent- bottom line is I've run OE pads on non-dot slicks, OE goodyears, and RE71R's and they've never faded on track (SRF fluid).
I didn't use the OEM Ferodos so they may be better than the average OEM/street pads and it looks like it as magazine tests back that claim, 1LE could stop 60-0 mph in a whopping 94ft that's a supercar territory.

I think you answered your question above. At same speed with OEM tires, I wouldn't expect the OEM pads would behave any different with grippy tires, it wouldn't make any sense. However, it's easy to surpass the limits of the OEM pads when knowing you can carry much more speed but easily surpass the safety zone and apply more brake and ultimately overheat them whereas with a race pad it only requires a small amount of brake travel and brake force with the added friction and initial bite. More importantly, the ability to get the most out of the grippy tires ( braking late)

I had this happened to me when I first had my BRZ (I know it doesn't compare to 1LE as it has a lot better brakes from factory). I've used NT01 tires with all else stock (except RBF600s) when I first got the car and brakes felt very mushy after only a few hot laps. I am more concerned about the opposite; triggering Ice mode because of matching street tires with very aggressive race pads.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #154
glamcem

with that said, term "street" tires is also a bit misleading these days with the introduction of so called "200 treadwear" cheater, hybrid tires such as RE71Rs (and maybe the new G3 Goodyear
When I said street tires I was referring to the real "street" tires like PSS or equivalent that cannot outperform (or perform as good as) the NT01s,R888s ..etc oh well, things are changing and this is not 2013 I guess