Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #57
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
Must be the Alabama asphault, Ive yet to talk to a local gen5 owner that can spin once the clutch is out.
Some people think punching it mid corner in first gear with everything turned off counts...it doesn't.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #58
MR.CamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
yea i was disappointed to when my M6 didnt light em up from a first gear roll, considering i bought this instead of a 2006 vette. this car really doesnt start putting down power untill about 3000RPMs. i have a vararam and a muffler delete feel alot more throttle response but i still cant roast them in first unless i drop the clutch witch i dont like doing...alot. personal opinion is get a supercharger, cam, or headers. good luck with your tune.
MR.CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #59
SSizzlin'

Drives: 2012 Summit White Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.CamaroSS View Post
yea i was disappointed to when my M6 didnt light em up from a first gear roll, considering i bought this instead of a 2006 vette. this car really doesnt start putting down power untill about 3000RPMs. i have a vararam and a muffler delete feel alot more throttle response but i still cant roast them in first unless i drop the clutch witch i dont like doing...alot. personal opinion is get a supercharger, cam, or headers. good luck with your tune.
I'd still take my '12 SS over a 2006 Vette in a heart beat! The LS2 was one of GM's under powered engines, IMO. The LS3 Vette should be able to spin the tires from a first gear ruoll with no problem, mainly being so much lighter!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #60
ssmax90

Drives: 2011 camaro ss CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
Some people think punching it mid corner in first gear with everything turned off counts...it doesn't.
From a straight line no corners and just traction control off I can break my tires loose without dumping the clutch 1 st- 2nd and at night when it is cooler its even worse

2011 camaro ss M6 CGM
k&N Intake, Mufflers deleted
ssmax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #61
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
VHT comes to Alabama(and other key sites across the nation) for research and development.....lol
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #62
MikeOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmax90 View Post
From a straight line no corners and just traction control off I can break my tires loose without dumping the clutch 1 st- 2nd and at night when it is cooler its even worse
How much air pressure is in your tires? What tires? Stock gears? Engine mods?

My heads/cam/longtubes/FAST 102/Vararam/3" X pipe with no cats car, with stock gears, and stock weight, on Nitto NT555r stock size drag radials WILL NOT spin...everything turned off...without help from the clutch pedal. I haven't driven it with this setup on the stock tires, and I don't plan to...but I do plan to put it on regular street tires when these are through and switch to an 18" drag wheel/tire setup to save some weight.

When it was a bolt on's car, including the same exhaust it has now (Kooks 1.875 with complete 3" duals with an X) and the Vararam, and running mid 12's, trapping mid 1-teens, on the stock Pirelli's, at the 36 PSI that the door jam says to run, it'd sorta squeal a little in first...sometimes would wheel hop...but would just hook in second...shifting it as hard as possible, it'd bark second pretty hard, it'd bark third pretty hard too...but that's not breaking the tires loose. My car has never been an underperformer...when it was stock it made good numbers and ran good times, when it was bolt on's it made really really good numbers and ran great times, and now that it's got a ton done to it, it hasn't been to the dyno yet, but it certainly has been performing everywhere else.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #63
FastRaceCars
Drag Racer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
I think you're running too lean. I ran my car (when it was bolt-ons) closer to 12.5:1 and it took 24-26 degrees of timing to make the most power at that point...when it was ever so slightly leaner, the knock sensors would yank timing, and torque/power would drop tremendously.
I started from the factory AFR of 11.x:1 and have been working my way up to 12.5:1. The knock sensors have been pulling timing above 4200 RPM regardless of the AFR. My tune right now varies between 12.5:1 to 13:1 depending on the RPM. Up until just recently, I never went leaner than 12.5:1 to be on the safe side because of the knock sensor pulling timing. I had to try to rule out everything else before I finally made up my mind to desensitize the knock sensors. Thanks very much for sharing your info on the AFR and timing. That's almost exactly the numbers I'm trying to get to if I can get these damn knock sensors to quit fighting me.
FastRaceCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #64
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRaceCars View Post
I started from the factory AFR of 11.x:1 and have been working my way up to 12.5:1. The knock sensors have been pulling timing above 4200 RPM regardless of the AFR. My tune right now varies between 12.5:1 to 13:1 depending on the RPM. Up until just recently, I never went leaner than 12.5:1 to be on the safe side because of the knock sensor pulling timing. I had to try to rule out everything else before I finally made up my mind to desensitize the knock sensors. Thanks very much for sharing your info on the AFR and timing. That's almost exactly the numbers I'm trying to get to if I can get these damn knock sensors to quit fighting me.
Don't think you said this in this thread, but you try race gas yet to help at 4k?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #65
MikeOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRaceCars View Post
I wouldn't bother going as lean as 13:1 anywhere...I tried to shape my PE to match my torque, give it the most fuel at peak torque, and lean it out in the other areas...it made absolutely no difference in measurable output on the dyno (3-4 hp maybe...which can be just from making multiple pulls anyways)...but what it did do, was make it a lot harder to avoid knock retard at full throttle...I went back to the flat PE, and the car hasn't had knock issues since.

I guess it's possible that you've got a bad sensor too? I'd try 2 things...first at the dyno with good fuel in the tank, I'd disable knock retard, make a pull, listen VERY CAREFULLY to the engine, and pay very close attention to the TQ curve...if it's not smooth, or you hear it knock (1 pull won't blow it up...not that I advocate letting it knock, but I really doubt it'd hurt anything)...then there's a problem with the engine...bad spark plug(s), bad injector(s), bad coil(s)...something that's actually causing knock and the sensors are saving you, and you need to track down the issue/problem...at that point, re-enable knock retard and then try to track it down.

If it IS smooth and sounds normal through the pull...order a pair of new knock sensors from GM, install them to the letter from the GM manual...check that their wiring to the PCM is ok (I'm sure it's fine), and see what's going on there.

I did note the changes to the knock sensor calibration in the newest iteration of the LS3 Camaro as compared to my 2010...but I haven't needed to make any changes...they've worked when I ran it too lean, and they do nothing intrusive to me when the AFR and Spark is right.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #66
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
How about posting some videos of the cars that can spin'em while rolling? I'm not questioning that it can't be done, but just want to see it. Only the tire and I know you'll be in your driveway .
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #67
Bay Area SS

Drives: 2010 rs/2ss
Im cammed and no spin, these things arent nearly as beastly as people think
Old 07-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #68
MikeOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area SS View Post
Im cammed and no spin, these things arent nearly as beastly as people think
If you only drive them once a week, and spend the other 6 nights getting too much tire shine all over the tread...they'll spin.

They're heavy cars, and the suspension plants the tires pretty well...they like to hook.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #69
Bay Area SS

Drives: 2010 rs/2ss
Quote:
If you only drive them once a week, and spend the other 6 nights getting too much tire shine all over the tread...they'll spin.

They're heavy cars, and the suspension plants the tires pretty well...they like to hook.
MikeOd thats awesome! Yup your right, theses bad boys arent the lightest cars and with sticky meats you usually just dig and go..But I still think a lot of guys on here think they got an SS and there going to destroy the world in it. Great cars but still underpowered imo.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #70
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area SS View Post
MikeOd thats awesome! Yup your right, theses bad boys arent the lightest cars and with sticky meats you usually just dig and go..But I still think a lot of guys on here think they got an SS and there going to destroy the world in it. Great cars but still OVERWEIGHT imo.
Fixed it for ya
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, camaro, ls3