Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
Paratrooper34

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible
Looking for Feedback on LSX Engine

Hello All!

I am currently looking at a 2010 Camaro Coupe. The previous owner dumped a pile of money into this car including a crate LSX engine. The work was done professionally and the receipts, parts list, and dyno charts come with the car. The engine was installed two years ago and since then, it has about 1500ish miles since. The car has 28,xxx total. It is very clean and I even had them put it on a lift to examine the undercarriage, which was surprisingly clean and well sorted.

As far as the car itself, great car, and one that I am looking for (Gen 5 or 6). I did a lot of homework on these cars and I feel I am fairly knowledgeable about them except for the LSX engine. This is the 620 h.p. version, 7.4 liter, normally aspirated. I looked around to find some posts on this, so now I would like to get some current info from any of you that have knowledge or experience with this engine. The car will be for pleasure only; I do not plan to race it in any capacity. It will be a hotrod for me and the wife to go for rides and cruise nights, that sort of stuff.

So for those that can answer - what issues do I need to be concerned with regarding this engine? Do they have head issues similar to the LS7? What other info do you need to assess what I am asking?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I really appreciate your input.

Last edited by Paratrooper34; 12-04-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Paratrooper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I can’t offer much advice but am curious too. I go to SEMA every year and GM likes to display their crate motors along with their cars. I see the LSX there every year. They’re pretty proud of it. I’m sure you’ll get some input here. Welcome!
Old 12-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
I didn't know you can do engine swaps on these cars. I though it was impossible due to all the computers and stuff. Did they find a work around to this?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
7.4 I believe that's a 454. Going off of that a 454 LSX engine..... its stout. Only thing I would worry about it throwing boost at it. If you arnt doing that, I wouldn't worry about anything.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
What LS6 head issues are you referring to? Sounds like the car was done right. I personally wouldn't touch it unless they gave me a few hrs to drive it at least 100 miles or so to check how mannered it is.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I haven't heard much good about the LSX 454. I have heard of cracked blocks, bore longevity issues due to the stroke needed to get that displacement, excessive block porosity, core shift, very thin cylinder walls, and an overall very poor record of warranty acceptance by GM for any of the above mentioned,

It sounded like an amazing engine in concept though. It just didn't pan out well in reality. This is all from my own research and reading though. People love to post about their engine failures so of course that is most of what is posted.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
Paratrooper34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
What LS6 head issues are you referring to? Sounds like the car was done right. I personally wouldn't touch it unless they gave me a few hrs to drive it at least 100 miles or so to check how mannered it is.
Sorry, I meant LS7 - I will fix that.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #8
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Here's my .02c, Im not saying the LSX blocks dont have issues, but you only ever hear of failures. Never about the ones people have zero issues with. With that said, ANY new block, i dont care where you get it from, should be inspected BEFORE you build with it. Manufacturing defects happens, and may times, if the block is not inspected, it goes unseen until something catastrophic happens. Competent shops have the tools to verify cylinder wall thickness, bore alignment among other things. They can verify a block is good to build with, or be sent back for an exchange.

Last edited by G8One2; 12-04-2019 at 06:47 PM.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #9
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
Here's my .02c, Im not saying the LSX blocks dont have issues, but you only ever hear of failures. Never about the ones people have zero issues with.
Right. That is kinda what I was trying to say at the bottom of my post. But I have been spray painting today and think I have accelerated my brain cell loss and didn't word it properly.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #10
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper34 View Post
Hello All!

I am currently looking at a 2010 Camaro Coupe. The previous owner dumped a pile of money into this car including a crate LSX engine. The work was done professionally and the receipts, parts list, and dyno charts come with the car. The engine was installed two years ago and since then, it has about 1500ish miles since. The car has 28,xxx total. It is very clean and I even had them put it on a lift to examine the undercarriage, which was surprisingly clean and well sorted.

As far as the car itself, great car, and one that I am looking for (Gen 5 or 6). I did a lot of homework on these cars and I feel I am fairly knowledgeable about them except for the LSX engine. This is the 620 h.p. version, 7.4 liter, normally aspirated. I looked around to find some posts on this, so now I would like to get some current info from any of you that have knowledge or experience with this engine. The car will be for pleasure only; I do not plan to race it in any capacity. It will be a hotrod for me and the wife to go for rides and cruise nights, that sort of stuff.

So for those that can answer - what issues do I need to be concerned with regarding this engine? Do they have head issues similar to the LS7? What other info do you need to assess what I am asking?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I really appreciate your input.
I believe I saw this car for sale on facebook marketplace early this year when I was looking for my car. Didn't Jannetty do the engine swap? I would contact them and they can help you out with questions. I don't know much about that block. I passed on it as when it comes to building something I would rather do it myself so I know what all has been done and gone into it, personal preference. I'm in NE CT maybe I'll see you at some events next year!
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #11
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
I've heard only good things from friends that have ran them. I'd recommend going to Harbor Freight, get a small camera to look inside the chamber through the spark plug hole. This way you can see how it's ran since installed.

I'm curious, the previous owner did an engine swap around 13K miles? Did he blow it or just want something bigger? If he blew it up, i'd be really hesitant on this car as he's now at that same mileage when the last one went. But definitely inspect the engine, inside and out. You can polish a turd, but it's still just a turd.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #12
Paratrooper34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
I believe I saw this car for sale on facebook marketplace early this year when I was looking for my car. Didn't Jannetty do the engine swap? I would contact them and they can help you out with questions. I don't know much about that block. I passed on it as when it comes to building something I would rather do it myself so I know what all has been done and gone into it, personal preference. I'm in NE CT maybe I'll see you at some events next year!
Yes, Jannetty did the work. Calling them is a good suggestion, I will do that. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #13
Rich2010

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray LS3 SS/RS
Is it this car?

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552497
Old 12-05-2019, 04:47 PM   #14
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Car must be a true beast with that engine in it, I love it!
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote