#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > New Member Introductions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Old yet new guy

New-ish (signed up in 2016 when I was in the market) member here wanting to get some input on my current situation.

I have a relatively low miles 2016 Chevy SS sedan and I absolutely enjoy driving it except for one minor gripe, it's not a manual transmission. I bought it during the "great fire sale of 2016" and got it at a nice discount of just under $40k.

Fast forward to word that the Camaro's days are numbered, and the last stand of the ICE and more importantly the fact that EVs do not use traditional gears (much less those manually rowed) and I'm itching for a ZL1.

I'm definitely torn. If the SS was a manual then there would be no debate. But alas it is not and the siren call of the manual transmission is calling me.

One other point of contention is that my new living arrangements have me living in a complex that has some large/wide speed bumps and I don't like the idea of subjecting the car to these nasty speed bumps every time I take her out. I already have to crawl to 5 MPH in the SS to make sure I don't bottom out.

Here's a picture of what I'm currently considering parting with, which reminds me the SS is such a rare vehicle and the rarity makes me wish it was a manual. Decisions, decisions.
Attached Images

TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Manual in a hot rod is a must, imho. Between a ZL1 and what you have pictured... if you can swing it, I’d switch out to the Z. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Manual in a hot rod is a must, imho. Between a ZL1 and what you have pictured... if you can swing it, I’d switch out to the Z. Just my 2 cents.

The manual would be the only reason I'd move to the ZL1 for now. I'd prefer to keep the practicality and the "sleeper" factor of the SS, but since the SS is a weekend toy, I figure I don't need the practicality. But man it's great to seat 4 people with relative comfort.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:22 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5/6. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives', husbands, girlfriends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 12-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #5
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5/6. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives', husbands, girlfriends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Thanks for the heads up. Out of all the forums I've visited in the past, there are always the characters that hide behind the anonymity of the internet to compensate for their inability to speak so freely in real life. Knowing that, I have learned to take just about everything that people say with a grain of salt.

The more I think about getting into a ZL1 with a 6-speed manual, the more psyched I am. I'm debating if the 1LE package is wise, but I like the idea of taking the car out for long distance drives, and I can't imagine that the stiff suspension setup of the 1LE is a good idea. I've already learned quite a bit from just a few days in here, and looking forward to learning more as I was told by a local dealer that the wait is about 6 months on a new ZL1.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:15 PM   #6
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600244
Old 12-08-2021, 10:52 PM   #7
bertie

Drives: 2001 Camaro
Sweet and shiny ride, man! Welcome
bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:31 PM   #8
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie View Post
Sweet and shiny ride, man! Welcome

Thanks, I'm going to hate to see her go, but I figure this may be the last time for me to get back into a manual and I figure if I get the LT4, it'll make it easier for me to forget the SS. I'm hoping to get about $45K for it to a private seller, but we'll see.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #9
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Nice!

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #10
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
Manual Tranny wanted?

Why don't you just convert it over to a manual yourself,There's people on here now that are selling the complete setup because they changed to Automatic, You'll really have a sleeper then. Good Luck!
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:48 PM   #11
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Very nice! Congrats!
Old 12-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #12
bertie

Drives: 2001 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
Thanks, I'm going to hate to see her go, but I figure this may be the last time for me to get back into a manual and I figure if I get the LT4, it'll make it easier for me to forget the SS. I'm hoping to get about $45K for it to a private seller, but we'll see.

Consider the manual swap as recommended if you can and have the resources.
bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:56 PM   #13
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakmaker View Post
Why don't you just convert it over to a manual yourself,There's people on here now that are selling the complete setup because they changed to Automatic, You'll really have a sleeper then. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie View Post
Consider the manual swap as recommended if you can and have the resources.

I've thought about it, and I love the idea of having a sleeper, but then I'd have to build out the motor to get more horses out of it (to get it close to a ZL1). My original thought was to see how much power I could get out of the LS3 naturally aspirated. After that, I still wouldn't have the updated tech. I've even thought about going to a shop in the U.S. that converts them into Utes, but I don't think I could live with myself if I brought back the mullet.

https://lefthandutes.com/about.html

Old 12-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #14
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

I've been taking the SS sedan out when the weather is agreeable just as a "last dance" kind of thing, and man this decision is really weighing on my mind.

The pros with keeping the SS are:
1) not every kid with a folgers can exhaust tries to race me.
2) adults in their Audi S4s, and similarly unmatched cars always underestimate the SuperSleeper
3) after some WOT shenanigans I can dial the exhaust down to "Touring mode" and no one is the wiser that it was me blasting through the area.
4) the rarity, the rarity

The biggest con on the SS is
1) No manual
2) dated tech (although the Camaro mostly only has the updated head unit
3) 200 HP deficiency
4) whenever you go to lunch with friends/co-workers, they always try to pick you as the driver, won't have that problem in the Camaro
5) the Camaro's last stand (for now)

I am so on the fence for this that I think it's going to come down to me getting what I can out of the SS Sedan. The salesman plugged in his numbers on his KBB and stated $34K was the trade-in value but even he scoffed at that amount. I'm thinking if I don't get at least $43K for it, I have no problem walking away. I mean it's under 40K miles, and was mostly hand washed and garage kept. I won't be totally crushed if I keep it.
Attached Images