Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #15
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
There are plenty of the "big" corvette dealers all over the country that don't subscribe to the ADM BS. I suspect that to be true when the Z06 hits the street.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:54 AM   #16
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
I want lap times then I will give my opinion.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:00 AM   #17
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
What's not to like about a mid-engine 8600 rpm V-8?
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:07 AM   #18
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Exactly.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:31 AM   #19
CHerna

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Amazed by the C8 Z06. The Corvette team did an excellent job on this car. Makes me excited for the ZR1, E-RAY, and ZORA

Previous: Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #20
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
If I had the money I would definitely buy the c8 z06. but a hell no on the stingray. And I still wouldn't give up my zl1
Old 10-27-2021, 08:46 AM   #21
HypeBlueZL1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It's impressive, but not a car that fits my personality. I am glad GM's doing it though.
This is a nice way to sum up my opinion on the car.
HypeBlueZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:50 AM   #22
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I like it but...

The fact that it's locked down and can not be tuned is a major drawback. Also the power curve is all upper rpm hp and torque...gonna be similar to a Coyote. The LT2 will likely feel stronger down low. I like torque...would of rather seen a bigger cube NA motor or another supercharged variant. Especially since the C8 is mid engine and can put the torque to the ground.

Don't get me wrong 670hp is a lot of power NA. Also being all forged means it's ready for some twin turbos...but again with the Global B system, the ECU will likely never be unlockable because it will cripple features of the rest of the systems controllers. That is the issue on the C8 Stingray and CT5-V. I am sure there will be some aftermarket options from companies like Motec.

Moral of the story...I agree with RadZ28...it's not for me even though I do like it.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #23
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Very impressed. Needs a revised Instrument panel and no chicklets....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #24
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Not much of a fan of the C8 styling, mostly because I prefer pony/muscle car styling. That said, the engine and performance of the C8s are very impressive.

As far as pricing, when a company’s debt is washed away, years granted of no FED taxes, given Government contracts and provided billions in EV subsidies, it makes it easier to shuffle $’s around and develop a product such as the C8 at their price points.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #25
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
This isn't just a "see Ferrari we can do it too". The holy grail of performance is mid-engine, GM had no choice but to move this route at some point in order to continue to improve performance. The front engine platform was already tapped out. The new engine is also not a "see Ferrari we can do it too". GM's engine will be far more reliable, achieve better gas mileage and emissions than any European equivalent. You can downplay it as much as you want but GM has achieved something very special here and will do it at a fraction of the cost of any European supercar. I fail to see how that's impressive to anyone if they truly understand automotive design.
Spot on.

GM had no choice but to move the engine behind the driver if it wanted to improve performance. Pretty much anyone who wanted a C7 had already bought one. The big horsepower had been put in the ZR1. What was left?

I have a C8 HTC and a 6th gen ZL1. I'm holding back any thoughts of moving to the Z06 for three reasons.

1. Pricing. I want to see the base price and what options are included. I got to experience the Corvette Tax first hand with my Stingray. Options add up real fast in Corvette land.

2. The engine. Redline at 8600 rpm maybe great for the track, but I want to know how it plays out in bumper to bumper traffic. 460 lb-ft of torque at 6300 rpm is less than the LT2. If you're a torque junky like me, the LT4's 650 lb-ft at 3600 rpm makes me smile. Reliability is another issue. GM has a long history with push rod small blocks. I realize a version of the LT6 has been very reliable in their racing program. But now there will be thousands of cars beating on a version of that engine. This will really test reliability. Hopefully, it's better than what Ford owners experienced with the GT350

3. Availability. I waited 14 months for my Stingray. The thoughts of waiting that long or longer for another Corvette makes my stomach turn. Plus there will be dealer shenanigans up the wazzo on this car.

If GM has done what I think they've done, the Z06 will really turn up the heat on the sports car market. At the moment, I'm not sure I can stand any more heat.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I like it but...

The fact that it's locked down and can not be tuned is a major drawback. Also the power curve is all upper rpm hp and torque...gonna be similar to a Coyote. The LT2 will likely feel stronger down low. I like torque...would of rather seen a bigger cube NA motor or another supercharged variant. Especially since the C8 is mid engine and can put the torque to the ground.
THIS, too. I like torque. My DD is just a little 1.4L turbo and even with a little tuning, it's still has a good amount of lag. When I get into Fury, even with a likely loss of TQ in the lower RPMs (compared to the 1740), it still hits hard enough, and it's immediate. I have to readjust my throttle input because if I stab the throttle in him, like I do to account for the lag in my Sonic, I damn near tear my head off in the ZL1 using the same (unnecessary in that car) strategy. I like that response. And yes - the response from that LT6 will probably be even better, but there's no TQ until like 6000 or whatever, which makes sense for that kind of engine. That sound is AWESOME, but I'm not a FPC V8-guy. Give me a big inch CPC V8, and him eat. I want to feel the sound of that engine in my guts.

I like the balance of what I have now. GREAT TQ down low and through the mid-range, and a pull through redline. The whine of a blower gets my goat. I bet I was a big block-lover in a past life, LOL.

I'm not hating. There's a fair amount of enthusiasts that Z06 makes sense. I'm I bleed Chevy red. I'm glad GM Powertrain has come up with a world class powerplant. With Demons and Predator engines out there, I think that LT6 really stands out from the crowd. Z06 is great win for Chevy, IMO. It doesn't make-up for how they've let CAMARO go, though...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:14 AM   #27
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Spot on.

GM had no choice but to move the engine behind the driver if it wanted to improve performance. Pretty much anyone who wanted a C7 had already bought one. The big horsepower had been put in the ZR1. What was left?

I have a C8 HTC and a 6th gen ZL1. I'm holding back any thoughts of moving to the Z06 for three reasons.

1. Pricing. I want to see the base price and what options are included. I got to experience the Corvette Tax first hand with my Stingray. Options add up real fast in Corvette land.

2. The engine. Redline at 8600 rpm maybe great for the track, but I want to know how it plays out in bumper to bumper traffic. 460 lb-ft of torque at 6300 rpm is less than the LT2. If you're a torque junky like me, the LT4's 650 lb-ft at 3600 rpm makes me smile. Reliability is another issue. GM has a long history with push rod small blocks. I realize a version of the LT6 has been very reliable in their racing program. But now there will be thousands of cars beating on a version of that engine. This will really test reliability. Hopefully, it's better than what Ford owners experienced with the GT350

3. Availability. I waited 14 months for my Stingray. The thoughts of waiting that long or longer for another Corvette makes my stomach turn. Plus there will be dealer shenanigans up the wazzo on this car.

If GM has done what I think they've done, the Z06 will really turn up the heat on the sports car market. At the moment, I'm not sure I can stand any more heat.
I think many people forget the Z06 was designed to be a track car. I understand most owners won't buy them for the track but that is its purpose so bumper to bumper traffic and low end torque aren't really what is was made for.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #28
FlowTie

Drives: ZL1-1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
I want lap times then I will give my opinion.
This guy gets it.
FlowTie is offline   Reply With Quote