Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-30-2021, 06:04 PM   #15
HMFDUCK

Drives: 2013 SS/RS/1LE
Hey, just went out this past Sunday for another day of Auto-Cross with the guys an gals in SCCA NWOR. We ran at Toledo Express Airport, on the Cargo delivery side, great concrete. MY 18 ZL1 1LE did much better and here's what I did this round. Took off the MP4S an put the Gdyr.f13r's back on. I also did the frt. Camber adjustment but not the rear. I put the rear sway bar in the softest hole (farthest out). The ride height was stock. The biggest adjustments were in getting the rear-end to hook !! So on a 90* hot day I dropped the rears down to 24 lbs / 28 hot. That seem to do the trick but ran out of lap time for my class. So, mp4s's ran "ok" but the rear will kick out on you. Your tire pressure will be determined by the surface your racing on but you'll drop them down to whatever works for that day an track surface. I ran mine down to 28 cold, all 4. You should be fine as far as how they perform and not see any damage from a day or 2 at the track. Remember to make one small adjustments so you know which is affecting the performance, to many adjustments at once an you'll not know which adjustment actually work. I run in SCCA CAMC , 2018 ZL1 1LE aka: "Mechanical Music"
HMFDUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:24 PM   #16
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Depends a lot on driving style, alignment quality and how fast you're lapping. Best drivers get 2-3 days of fast laps with ~3 10-15 min sessions/day, beginner to intermediate who isn't sliding and spinning tires too much 4-5 days (maybe more).

The rears will last at least 4 days of fast laps, the fronts only 2-3. I use Hot Lap Victory Lane treatment before and between events to extend life, it works. And if you buy new from Tire Rack have them heat cycled.

APEX makes some good affordable track wheels for ZLE.
Thank you, this is helpful!! hard to make decisions when I am so indecisive.

Been ordering little things for the track prep so things are coming together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMFDUCK View Post
Hey, just went out this past Sunday for another day of Auto-Cross with the guys an gals in SCCA NWOR. We ran at Toledo Express Airport, on the Cargo delivery side, great concrete. MY 18 ZL1 1LE did much better and here's what I did this round. Took off the MP4S an put the Gdyr.f13r's back on. I also did the frt. Camber adjustment but not the rear. I put the rear sway bar in the softest hole (farthest out). The ride height was stock. The biggest adjustments were in getting the rear-end to hook !! So on a 90* hot day I dropped the rears down to 24 lbs / 28 hot. That seem to do the trick but ran out of lap time for my class. So, mp4s's ran "ok" but the rear will kick out on you. Your tire pressure will be determined by the surface your racing on but you'll drop them down to whatever works for that day an track surface. I ran mine down to 28 cold, all 4. You should be fine as far as how they perform and not see any damage from a day or 2 at the track. Remember to make one small adjustments so you know which is affecting the performance, to many adjustments at once an you'll not know which adjustment actually work. I run in SCCA CAMC , 2018 ZL1 1LE aka: "Mechanical Music"
Thank you, this is helpful. I will at some point try to do a few autox a year. I did several a looong time ago and it was a lot of fun!

Have another question for you guys....

About to pull the trigger on oil and can't decide if I should just run the track recommended weight all the time, switch back and forth, or run the recommended street weight especially since I wont be on very sticky tires for a little while? I would probably change the oil after every two track days, or based on the oil life indicator. I doubt mileage will be a factor. Probably wont put more than 2-3k miles on the car a year.

Any idea were I can get the magnetic oil drain plug? The link in the sticky is not working.

Thank you!
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:31 PM   #17
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
Thank you, this is helpful!! hard to make decisions when I am so indecisive.

Been ordering little things for the track prep so things are coming together.

Thank you, this is helpful. I will at some point try to do a few autox a year. I did several a looong time ago and it was a lot of fun!

Have another question for you guys....

About to pull the trigger on oil and can't decide if I should just run the track recommended weight all the time, switch back and forth, or run the recommended street weight especially since I wont be on very sticky tires for a little while? I would probably change the oil after every two track days, or based on the oil life indicator. I doubt mileage will be a factor. Probably wont put more than 2-3k miles on the car a year.

Any idea were I can get the magnetic oil drain plug? The link in the sticky is not working.

Thank you!
If you're not whaling on the car running it to red line every gear change, you're ok sticking with some 0w-40 dexos 2. Otherwise, running 15w-40 all the time isn't bad, they just don't want you to because it hurts mileage a tiny bit (maybe a single mpg).
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:35 PM   #18
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
If you're not whaling on the car running it to red line every gear change, you're ok sticking with some 0w-40 dexos 2. Otherwise, running 15w-40 all the time isn't bad, they just don't want you to because it hurts mileage a tiny bit (maybe a single mpg).
Yea I don't care about MPG, and would rather run the most protecting oil I can. I figured the new ESP oil was more environmentally friendly. I was just a bit more skeptical because i thought maybe it was formulated a bit better for direct injection.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:44 PM   #19
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I would suggest running the PTM in Sport 1 until your comfort level increases...it isn't slow. Stabilitrak is still enabled so it can help.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:51 PM   #20
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
I’m guessing you’re the one that bought your car from BAT. If so, why not hit the seller up and buy his 19 track setup? His price is reasonable and gets you that second set. I’ve toyed with getting them myself but unfortunately, those wide fronts will throw tons of rocks on my narrower SS fenders.

And btw, being that I don’t know your history, I would still encourage going out even if on street alignment and ps4s. You’ll learn your car on slower tires and can build up (through alignment and better tires) speed while learning how these changes impact your experience.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:08 PM   #21
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I would suggest running the PTM in Sport 1 until your comfort level increases...it isn't slow. Stabilitrak is still enabled so it can help.
I definitely want to get used to it some. Haven't really played with any of the settings yet and its been a while since I had a fast car. ~10 years I think. that car had to traction control though really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
I’m guessing you’re the one that bought your car from BAT. If so, why not hit the seller up and buy his 19 track setup? His price is reasonable and gets you that second set. I’ve toyed with getting them myself but unfortunately, those wide fronts will throw tons of rocks on my narrower SS fenders.

And btw, being that I don’t know your history, I would still encourage going out even if on street alignment and ps4s. You’ll learn your car on slower tires and can build up (through alignment and better tires) speed while learning how these changes impact your experience.
I did not buy on BaT. I have had my car for about 4 months now.

Yea, we will see again. Just have a lot going on and I am not sure how much I can get done to the car prep wise. I have basically one weekend but will be helping my sister move Sat/Sun.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:13 PM   #22
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Yea I don't care about MPG, and would rather run the most protecting oil I can. I figured the new ESP oil was more environmentally friendly. I was just a bit more skeptical because i thought maybe it was formulated a bit better for direct injection.
From what I've read, the ESP oil does a better job at "protecting" the catalytic converters, but I don't know how much of that I believe considering years ago when the LT4 was first being put into production they didn't call for anything but just dexos2. I dunno. I know two guys locally who have been running 15w-50 in their 1LE's for over 2 years now and 0 issues after many, many track days and some daily driving.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:36 PM   #23
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
How many track days are people getting on their 3Rs?

I probably need to get a set of wheels for the track...
I'm getting three days out of 3R's. They are an amazing tire.

Also I use 15w-50 on the track. If you blow your motor and you don't have 15w-50 in the car they could push back on warranting the motor.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:13 PM   #24
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post

I agree on going out even if don't have alignment and only have ps4s. Each time you go out on the track, even if your set-up is not perfect you learn a lot!
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote